Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by Evil D »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi Rotten,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your disappointment. When we did the math, the cost of the G-10 machining was double the estimate. No choice but to raise the price or disco the model. "Worth" is another discussion.

sal
I'll pay you an extra $30 per knife if you give them rounded and contoured handles instead of flat slabs..
+1

Imagine a pm2 or manix with the same contoured scales. Easily a $30 upgrade. A custom set will run you at least twice that.
This is exactly my logic behind it. It isn't as simple as comparing it to a Para 2, the manufacturing is not the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Exactly why the Shaman was worth $30-$35- more than the Para2. But then the price went up another $35-$40-. I bought another anyway for almost $200 becauses I wanted the DLC (see above pic). I love the radius edged handles too. I just wish they had the Para2 style checkering on the faces of the handles for added grip. It's not that I needed or wanted another flat slabbed standard grip knife. I just wish they could have combined the checkering onto the radius Shaman handles. I have no desire to get the handles pimped with silly grooves drilled into the handles.

it's just a preference thing. Nothing wrong with it except they realized the production costs were figured in a week *after* the knife was released at $150- and raised prices? I bought one at $150 but had to return it when I became unemployed days later. Then I went to buy it back and it was now $190- OUCH!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rotten,

The cost of making the contoured handles on the Shaman ended up costing about double what we had anticipated when we calculated prices. machining 3D G-10 is time consuming and hard on bits. Of course we can machine grip into the handle, but it really adds lotsa dollars which which you are already concerned.

sal
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

Sal, perhaps for the price sensitive purchasers, a frn handle option could be offered.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cangokaw,

I think that would be my ultimate solution, but the demand determines whether or not the expense of a mold for FRN production is viable in the US. Molds here are quite expensive and require a fairly high demand to sustain the inventory.

sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Love the shaman so much I would pay over 200 for another basic one. :D Value is different person to person. I think the Shaman blows the PM2 out of the water . IMO of course :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It’s an epic blade for sure. Robust design and weight inspires confidence, but it’s still slicy enough for general purpose use. One hand opens and closes like a champ. I love the smooth and radiused scales!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

clovehitch wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:25 pm
Just thought of a titanium Shaman in cpm cruwear....

Take (nearly all?) my money.

Yeah if you want the scales to be the same thickness, you're looking at a $500+ knife.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Depending on how far away sprints are for this model and the health of its sales, I may just get the baseline. Seems to me there's a threshold for 'qualifying' for sprints, and I don't know if the Shaman is months/years away.

Or maybe BHQ has already asked for a Jade/M4 version. Sal?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 am

Instant sale for me. Probably two.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:40 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Right?? Hard use steel meets hard use folder.

DLC M4 would be even better - but that's a matter of personal preference.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am

Despite my recent lust over H1, I still would take M4 in every folder I own if it were an option. I'm really hoping we see it in the Shaman and Sliverax.
~David
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

FRN would be ideal to get price down. The FRN from Taichung on the Chaparral is amazing. Can´t you let them make some for the Shaman if it´s too pricey in the US? I think a lot of enthusiasts are waiting for a better steel than S30V on the Shaman. Hope the demand for the Shaman isn't too low to make this happen now. Also i would totally dig a Shaman in M4 steel. But i find the BladeHQ Jade G10 super ugly so i hope it will not be that first.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am

Despite my recent lust over H1, I still would take M4 in every folder I own if it were an option. I'm really hoping we see it in the Shaman and Sliverax.
Agreed. H1 and M4 in any of these are instant buys. 52100 and Cruwear as well. Hoping to see these steels hit the Native series soon. I need a Shaman, Native, and Lil Native in some of these steels.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Strider

Post by Strider »

bh49 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi Rotten,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your disappointment. When we did the math, the cost of the G-10 machining was double the estimate. No choice but to raise the price or disco the model. "Worth" is another discussion.

sal
I'll pay you an extra $30 per knife if you give them rounded and contoured handles instead of flat slabs..
+1
Imagine a pm2 or manix with the same contoured scales. Easily a $30 upgrade. A custom set will run you at least twice that.
+2 imagine Caly3/3.5
hadn't thought of applying the rounded/contoured G10 to the Caly line but that would be amazing!

Love the shaman. Glad I was able to get it as the previous price. I am definitely interested in picking up a hopeful Sprint run...if the price is right.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:40 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:

+1. M4 would get me off the sidelines.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

this is an expensive knife to produce and yall want sprints now too? lol a g10 m4 sprint/exclusive would be $250 easy. just saying. also moving production to Taichung so they can produce some in frn would be very costly for spyderco which would lead to another price increase. not sure spyderco has ever had a g10 version of a knife produced in 1 country at the same time a frn version is produced in a different country?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 am
this is an expensive knife to produce and yall want sprints now too? lol a g10 m4 sprint/exclusive would be $250 easy. just saying. also moving production to Taichung so they can produce some in frn would be very costly for spyderco which would lead to another price increase. not sure spyderco has ever had a g10 version of a knife produced in 1 country at the same time a frn version is produced in a different country?
$200 for a S30V Shaman? Eh, it's a cool knife but I have a lot of S30V and while it's certainly an adequate steel I'm not in a rush to buy more. For the same steel it has to compete with my Sliverax and that's a hard sale for me.

$250 for a M4 Shaman? Yeah that's an extra $50 but the performance difference is appealing to me. Plus I like the jade G10. It also adds variety in my collection and makes it feel less redundant. I would certainly pay $50 for a custom made M4 blade and custom jade G10 scales for any of my knives, regardless of their original street price.

The benefit of not being a dedicated collector is that I'm not in a rush to buy them all, so small price increases don't effect me as much. In turn I'm much more willing to pay a premium for the right model and materials combo.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Spydergirl is right regarding making the same knife in two places. We probably won't do that.

sal
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm
The benefit of not being a dedicated collector is that I'm not in a rush to buy them all, so small price increases don't effect me as much. In turn I'm much more willing to pay a premium for the right model and materials combo.
Same here. And i think many more are with you on that.