Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by PStone »

Spydergirl88 wrote:some sprint/exclusives I would love to see for the Shaman:
cf and s90v
orange g10 and dlc s90v
grey g10 and cruwear
yellow g10 and lc200n

Count me in for yellow lc200n! I have a spydiechef and really like this steel.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:some sprint/exclusives I would love to see for the Shaman:
cf and s90v
orange g10 and dlc s90v
grey g10 and cruwear
yellow g10 and lc200n

Count me in for yellow lc200n! I have a spydiechef and really like this steel.
Yeah, I am in for a whole line of yellow G10 (bright neon semi-translucent yellow like the blurple and red DLT scales) LC200n Golden made knives. Full salt versions would make those even better. Shaman, Pm2, Para 3, Native, Manix, Millie, etc. I have to imagine those would be much better sellers than the Carribean line coming out. I hear pretty much no one talk about those (aside from criticizing the scales), but the Native Salt is getting a ton of hype!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Strider

Post by Strider »

The Native salt LOOKS really nice
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

This is just sad. I bought the Shaman at $150 when first released. This is the price all retailers advertised. It wasn't as nice as my PM2 not affording much in the way of grip but I decided to keep it anyway but I was laid off two days later and was forced to return it. The state screwed me around for a month before I got my first check and I went to buy it back and was both amazed and disgusted to see the price had gone up over $30-!!!

This knife was barely worth $150- but $185-? NO WAY!! Spyderco, you should be damned ashamed of yourselves raising prices that high within weeks of release.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rotten,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your disappointment. When we did the math, the cost of the G-10 machining was double the estimate. No choice but to raise the price or disco the model. "Worth" is another discussion.

sal
Strider

Post by Strider »

sal wrote:Hi Rotten,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your disappointment. When we did the math, the cost of the G-10 machining was double the estimate. No choice but to raise the price or disco the model. "Worth" is another discussion.

sal
thanks for clarifying. Based on how much I enjoy the Shaman, I had incorrectly assumed it was putting too much pressure on the PM2 at its previous price point.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Should the Shaman be released with a radiused fluted scale like the Military and other model sprint runs I would definitely reconsider. As it is I think the slippery scales tip the the balance in the PM2's favor although I like the idea of the radius edges and a departure from standard G10 checkered designs I just felt as is the knife was too slippery in the hand. I love the way it felt and the jimping and overall blade design are excellent but it needs help in the traction department.

Understand I had to return the the knife unused so never got to fully take advantage of it but I love the PM2 and the Shaman will need work to be it's equal. Raising the price just make's it a no go for me. If it was still $150 I would buy it again but please consider how much better a fluted version would work gripwise. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know. You are the knife making master but as the end user I feel it still could use improvement before it justifies the extra cost. It certainly hasn't disuaded me from your other products in any way.

Take care.

Lon.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I think the Shaman compares favorably to a Strider SnG Concealed Carry. A knife that retails for close to $500 dollars. It is an amazing knife for the price. Keep up the good work Spyderco.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

The SnG is my all time favorite blade due in part to blade size, shape and the fact that the handle widens in back providing an excellent grip. I own several and think they are not even comparable but this is all personal preference of course. I'm not saying my opinion is more valid than yours in any way.

Peace.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Rotten wrote:Should the Shaman be released with a radiused fluted scale like the Military and other model sprint runs I would definitely reconsider. As it is I think the slippery scales tip the the balance in the PM2's favor although I like the idea of the radius edges and a departure from standard G10 checkered designs I just felt as is the knife was too slippery in the hand. I love the way it felt and the jimping and overall blade design are excellent but it needs help in the traction department.

Understand I had to return the the knife unused so never got to fully take advantage of it but I love the PM2 and the Shaman will need work to be it's equal. Raising the price just make's it a no go for me. If it was still $150 I would buy it again but please consider how much better a fluted version would work gripwise. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know. You are the knife making master but as the end user I feel it still could use improvement before it justifies the extra cost. It certainly hasn't disuaded me from your other products in any way.

Take care.

Lon.
I found that with the great ergonomics on the Shaman, that I do not need and appreciate not having textured G10.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Have the DLC one inbound today! Have to see what all the hubbub is about ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Strider wrote:
I found that with the great ergonomics on the Shaman, that I do not need and appreciate not having textured G10.
+1
Shaman like most designed in house Spydies have great ergos, so I do feel that I need an extra grip. I love Shaman scales. I wish they could be different color. Hopefully in sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

The DLC is a great looking knife and I might buy one just for the **** of it but I'll be very bummed if an improved grip Sprint run comes out right after. A wider rear grip like the SnG or Hinderers would go a LONG way towards making it a better hard use tool. When I grip The blade with the thumb and fore finger and pull backwards the Shaman wants to slip forward out of my hand. Not enough material in back for a firm grip but retaining the radiused edges while adding a simple checkering pattern to the flats would help immensely. At the risk of repeating myself the Shaman handles just feel too skinny to *me*.

This is just an opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Well, When the DLC came out I just couldn't resist any longer. The more I use it the more i like it. In my book it will never be as perfect as the PM2 but I'm definitely keeping it in my pocket.

Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

clovehitch wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 pm
The base price has me awaiting a sprint run. If I'm going to spend that much, I don't want any desire for more. I'd rather pay $240 for a Shaman in M4 or $260 for Maxamet than $185 for s30v.
Just ordered a black one from the mothership. I already have a PE and SL but the black one just looks so nice!
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Doesn't it though? i gotta admit I don't understand why people want sprint run blades in every imaginable color or steel ever made of the same knife. Aside from M390 and Elmax one is as good as another when it's in my pocket S30V or CPM154. They all cut well, hold an edge and sharpen easily. They all work the same but to each their own and if it makes you happy than go for it, life is too short,
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Rotten wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:47 pm
Doesn't it though? i gotta admit I don't understand why people want sprint run blades in every imaginable color or steel ever made of the same knife. Aside from M390 and Elmax one is as good as another when it's in my pocket S30V or CPM154. They all cut well, hold an edge and sharpen easily. They all work the same but to each their own and if it makes you happy than go for it, life is too short,
Think about this like some people, who like the car, but do not want to buy base model and want a level or two up. Base model also can drive from home to work.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi Rotten,

sal
I'll pay you an extra $30 per knife if you give them rounded and contoured handles instead of flat slabs..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Rotten,

sal
I'll pay you an extra $30 per knife if you give them rounded and contoured handles instead of flat slabs..
+1

Imagine a pm2 or manix with the same contoured scales. Easily a $30 upgrade. A custom set will run you at least twice that.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Rotten,

sal
+1
Imagine a pm2 or manix with the same contoured scales. Easily a $30 upgrade. A custom set will run you at least twice that.
+2 imagine Caly3/3.5