Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by SG89 »

Rutger wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm
The benefit of not being a dedicated collector is that I'm not in a rush to buy them all, so small price increases don't effect me as much. In turn I'm much more willing to pay a premium for the right model and materials combo.
Same here. And i think many more are with you on that.
I was talking big picture. of course you/we/knife afi's are willing to pay more for what we truly want but the general public is not. sprints/exclusives selling out so fast is proof that people appreciate special editions. I am not a collector and price increases don't generally impact me bc I only buy stuff I truly want. just wondering if it's a bad thing overall if the hypothetical sprint/exclusive of a model selling out its 1200 pc run will impact sales negatively of the production model which I'm assuming is way more than 1200 pcs.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

I was talking big picture. of course you/we/knife afi's are willing to pay more for what we truly want but the general public is not. sprints/exclusives selling out so fast is proof that people appreciate special editions. I am not a collector and price increases don't generally impact me bc I only buy stuff I truly want. just wondering if it's a bad thing overall if the hypothetical sprint/exclusive of a model selling out its 1200 pc run will impact sales negatively of the production model which I'm assuming is way more than 1200 pcs.

I'm sure sprint creation is pretty much based on the sales of the base model. This is why I may never get my Sliverax sprint, or maybe why we haven't seen much done with others like the Manix 2 XL. There's no doubt a team of marketing folks who have all the inside info we don't get to see who make those choices. I do hope things never reach a point where people are reluctant to buy sprints because they get too expensive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm
I do hope things never reach a point where people are reluctant to buy sprints because they get too expensive.
People pay those crazy flipper prices :eek:
Hey are quotes/smilies working for you they are now working for me. also the forum quote code language looks different than before
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm
I do hope things never reach a point where people are reluctant to buy sprints because they get too expensive.
People pay those crazy flipper prices :eek:
Hey are quotes/smilies working for you they are now working for me. also the forum quote code language looks different than before
They're working as of just now yeah. The quote code is definitely different. It used to be a lot shorter than this.

quote=Spydergirl88 post_id=1216043 time=1520276675 user_id=25912
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rutger,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:07 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
They're working as of just now yeah. The quote code is definitely different. It used to be a lot shorter than this.

Glad to see it's working again. Not really sure why there's a need to include the time stamp. I think it just clutters things up. No big deal though. It can be removed easy enough by deleting the "time=####" part (see the last two quotes). Not sure It's worth bothering with but nice to know it's possible.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:07 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Glad to see it's working again. Not really sure why there's a need to include the time stamp. I think it just clutters things up. No big deal though. It can be removed easy enough by deleting the "time=####" part (see the last two quotes). Not sure It's worth bothering with but nice to know it's possible.
If you notice, there's an arrow next to the quote now that will quick link up back up into the post to the original comment. I think it has something to do with that.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 pm
If you notice, there's an arrow next to the quote now that will quick link up back up into the post to the original comment. I think it has something to do with that.
Yeah I figured it was somehow a reference used by that feature but the arrow works even when the time= code is removed from the quote. I also just noticed that the time stamp doesn't show when viewed from my phone but it does when viewed from my PC or tablet.

Oh well, back to talking about the Shaman...
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm
The general public doesn't even know about steels and is often happy with some cheap 8cr13mov knife. Just by the price alone I think most Spyderco knives are bought mainly by enthusiasts. The question is how big a percentage of them are also steel nuts that skip on S30V. Or are most just collecting the models.

Knowing there are better steels out there i want the best available and i would pay extra for that (within reason). I even expect it of a premium brand. Nothing wrong with S30V, but that stuff is not pushing the boundaries anymore. So i won't be touching any models in that unless it was something budget. I'd rather buy something once the way i want it. So i wait with jumping on the Shaman for example. Maybe i'll never own one because of it. I also think the Delica in VG10 is not great anymore for what it is. Too expensive to be a budget model and not a good enough steel too be something premium.

In my opinion they should set the bar for a model. For example with the Shaman which to me is a though hard use folder. So M4 seems like a great choice for a base model. Although i would be slightly indifferent to K390, M390, S110v etc. I don't collect all steels, i just want one of the top steels that makes sense for the knife model/intended use. I think it is great that Spyderco offers 2 steels in some base models. A high and low end of sorts. For example the PM2 in S30V and S110V. It's just a shame we don't have a high end option for the Shaman now.

Something that might be even bigger is customization and color options. I'd pay a premium to get something in a color/material i want. And many non knife/steel geeks would too. Just like people pay loads of money in other markets to get stuff customized to their liking. Custom shoes (converse all stars), game controllers (xbox design labs), gun/knife skins in games etc. Most don't want to deal with aftermarket parts, taking stuff apart and so on. People want it right the first time.
It's nice and all that when you see a Blurple Spyderco you know it's S110V or Racing Green for ZDP-189, but it is really limiting peoples options. I will not buy certain Spyderco versions just because of the color or would want some colors on a different steel. I am really interested in where Benchmade is going with their custom knife builder for example. I think there is a big market for that with the premium brand knives. I don't care about knives being in stock at a brick and mortar store. I order online and don't mind waiting a week for something that is the way i like it. This of course asks for a change in the business model. You'd have to make to order with a certain amount of parts inventory and run your own store. But times are changing.

I am not a big fan of sprint runs locking some color/material out forever. If you missed it you have to deal with the secondhand market and with scalpers price gouging if something is really popular. And i am also not a fan of store specific models limiting me where i can buy em. Very annoying for people buying overseas. It seems like an old businessmodel to me.
sal

Post by sal »

The Shaman is getting a decent reaction in the marketplace. I'm sure that one way or another, there will be upgrades.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am
The Shaman is getting a decent reaction in the marketplace. I'm sure that one way or another, there will be upgrades.

sal
Can't wait, I love the 2 I have already.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
jacala

Post by jacala »

I just sprained my thumb trying to open my new serrated Shaman.
I used a T8 , but screws would not budge.
The pivot screws must be red loctited in.
I've been working the action and applied plenty of oil.
Anybody else have this "problem" and found a solution ??
Thanks and I love this forum.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jacala,

We stopped using red lock-tite before we began making the Shaman. Sorry you sprained your thumb.

sal
jacala

Post by jacala »

Thanks Sal.
I didn't really sprain my thumb, but I could not open blade the regular way with my right thumb.
I had to use both hands to open blade.
Question: If I carefully use a heat gun to heat the screws will the blue loctite ?? soften enough
for me to loosen the blade pivot screws ? Maybe I just need to eat more weeties ??
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jacala wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm
Question: If I carefully use a heat gun to heat the screws will the blue loctite ?? soften enough
for me to loosen the blade pivot screws ? Maybe I just need to eat more weeties ??
Some have successfully used heat to soften thread locker. I find it easier to insert a torx bit of the appropriate size into the pivot screw head and then give the end of the bit a few sharp whacks with a small plastic mallet. Don't smack it too hard...you don't want to damage anything. Also, be sure you're attempting to turn the correct side of the pivot. Not all pivots have screws that loosen on each side. Some are fixed on one side and have a removable screw in the other. I don't own a Shaman so I'm not sure what type of pivot it has.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Perhaps I'm the only one, but the Shaman would be amazing in a backlock variant. Also M4 or K390. ****, even D2. A D2 linerless backlock Shaman would be my work knife forever.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
jacala

Post by jacala »

Victory!!! I ate a whole packet of weeties and was able to loosen the pivot screw.
Correction: In my earlier post I incorrectly stated I used a T8.
Screw to loosen is on the non-clip side. I used a S10 Chapman bit (T10 Torx)
Still needs to be "worked"(opened and closed many times), but should be close to perfect soon.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am

sal
can't wait! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm
Perhaps I'm the only one, but the Shaman would be amazing in a backlock variant. Also M4 or K390. ****, even D2. A D2 linerless backlock Shaman would be my work knife forever.

It might be a little redundant considering we already have the back lock/linerless Manix, but I'm with you on the M4. I sorta see this knife as being the best of what the Manix 2 and Para 2 have to offer and it's better than both in some ways.
~David
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I picked up a Shaman. Glad I did too. I have a "plain Jane" S30V stonewashed plain edge sample.

It's a nice knife. Came very sharp. Looks and feels like the sort of thing that can do a lot of work over the years.

Sprints are nice, but honestly, in practice I usually carry S30V, while the super steels sit at home. While the super steels are "pushing the edge", often they do so while sacrificing something else, usually corrosion resistance.

I'm sure the blurple s110V will come, in time. The carbon fiber S90V combo too. Some dealer will request an M4 version I am sure.

I still see those sitting in my drawer, while the S30V Shaman is in my pocket. Just as the S30V "plain Jane" Military still sits in my back pocket, or a S30V Chinook.