S30v is a **** fine steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: S30v is a **** fine steel

Post by SpeedHoles »

You got too scientific with "**** fine".

I need a graph to show me at what point the fineness becomes damning. :p
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpeedHoles wrote:You got too scientific with "**** fine".

Photo on 10-25-15 at 6.07 PM.jpg
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:

Yep, that's it right there. :cool:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hahaha that's about the best reply I've seen in awhile, good laugh!

Well holy shift, people speculate about it all the time so I was never really sure, but there it is, right there!
Falls a bit further up the line than I ever expected.

Just put this thread on lock! We now have visuals. :D :p
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spook410 wrote:Lots of 'well according to my experience..' and 'my impression is..' going on in this thread. My engineering head keeps coming back to what the actual testing says. And while testing knife steels does have some small amount of art mixed in with the science, I find test results usually-almost-every-single-time trumps perceived experience and impression.

The problem with scientific testing is that it tests *the tested sample* and edge geometry, plus heat treat will change the characteristics of *your knife*...

As I mentioned before, my Ti UKPK has an edge (pun intended) over my Sage 1 and 3 in cutting ability, probably a different heat treat and definitely different edge geometry, all three are Spyderco S30V.
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Have to agree, I like trying new steels but just because a knife has S30V or VG10 it wouldn't stop me from buying it. On the contrary those two steels would be my preference. Each person has their own sweet spot, luckily spyderco gives us lots of chances to find it.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Personally the S30v and S35 suffer from one flaw which is low RC for example Chris Reeves RC 58-59 which I am sure he has his reasons for. I have been using my S110v manix 2 and my insingo a lot and the Time between sharpening is noticeable different.The 110 holds an edge much better hands down. I believe if S30-35 where taken to 61-62 RC the difference between 110, 90 , 204p etc would be negligible. With even maybe the 30s coming out on top. Sharpening any of the steels really is not a problem once the edge is set for my system. But I touch my knives up often and never truly let them dull.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Surfingringo wrote:

This reply deserves another bump :D Best I've seen in a while :spyder:
endgame

Post by endgame »

I like s30v but it rusts very fast near salt water .I prefer and I will say it again vg10 just best all around steel for the price.I can get a screaming edge on it and it last.im a chef and my chef knives are vg10 so I abuse and use this still 12hrs a day so I no its capabilities.I use my wicked edge and the edge stays nice and sharp for two weeks that 120hrs of use.I keep a 20°edge and touch up with a diamond hone.my sous chef has chris reves set of custom chef knives with s35vn I also sharpen his at 20°on my wicked edge.its a little harder to get a edge but doesnt hold up as long as my vg10 but that is two different people using knives so I cant scientificly compair but his knife gets spots of rust daily.and he hones it many more times then I do.I. catch him using my knife all the time cause its sharper .he spent a loot of $ on the chris reves blades and hatesem but loves his sebenza wich is my old one.I do not no why he uses s35vn but for a kitchen knife I would not use s30vn or s35vn.vg10 doent have top marks in all the categories but it marks high in all of them .pluss ibthink the Japanese no steel best.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I totally agree Lance :).

Most of my favorite knives come in S30v. Even if I preferred something else passing them up is just not an option. Plus as you mention it's more than sufficient.
arty

Post by arty »

Mic1 wrote:Personally the S30v and S35 suffer from one flaw which is low RC for example Chris Reeves RC 58-59 which I am sure he has his reasons for. I have been using my S110v manix 2 and my insingo a lot and the Time between sharpening is noticeable different.The 110 holds an edge much better hands down. I believe if S30-35 where taken to 61-62 RC the difference between 110, 90 , 204p etc would be negligible. With even maybe the 30s coming out on top. Sharpening any of the steels really is not a problem once the edge is set for my system. But I touch my knives up often and never truly let them dull.
I looked at the Crucible data sheet for S35V and they recommend 58-61. I have some kitchen knives in S35V and they are "58-60" so far as I know. They hold an edge for some time and the blades are tough. I would think that RC 60 would be fine.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

In my experience, Steely Dan was right: Everybody's crazy. :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
awa54

Post by awa54 »

endgame wrote:I like s30v but it rusts very fast near salt water .I prefer and I will say it again vg10 just best all around steel for the price.I can get a screaming edge on it and it last.im a chef and my chef knives are vg10 so I abuse and use this still 12hrs a day so I no its capabilities.I use my wicked edge and the edge stays nice and sharp for two weeks that 120hrs of use.I keep a 20°edge and touch up with a diamond hone.my sous chef has chris reves set of custom chef knives with s35vn I also sharpen his at 20°on my wicked edge.its a little harder to get a edge but doesnt hold up as long as my vg10 but that is two different people using knives so I cant scientificly compair but his knife gets spots of rust daily.and he hones it many more times then I do.I. catch him using my knife all the time cause its sharper .he spent a loot of $ on the chris reves blades and hatesem but loves his sebenza wich is my old one.I do not no why he uses s35vn but for a kitchen knife I would not use s30vn or s35vn.vg10 doent have top marks in all the categories but it marks high in all of them .pluss ibthink the Japanese no steel best.
Who makes the VG-10 knives in your roll endgame?

The only line I'm aware of that uses it is the Shun stuff and I can't warm up to those due to the ridiculously heavy handles... I wish Global would up their game in the steel category, I love their ergos, but CROMOVA 18/AUS6 loses its edge way too easily :P

All in all I'll take high carbon in the kitchen (at least at home), my hand forged Japanese blades are such good tools that the extra effort to keep them rust free is well worth it IMO.
Last edited by awa54 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Surfingringo wrote:

This begs the question, what happens to the *very finest* steels, are they to be found on a lower level of h**l, or are they just relatively more d**mned than S30V?
-David

endgame

Post by endgame »

awa54 wrote:
endgame wrote:I like s30v but it rusts very fast near salt water .I prefer and I will say it again vg10 just best all around steel for the price.I can get a screaming edge on it and it last.im a chef and my chef knives are vg10 so I abuse and use this still 12hrs a day so I no its capabilities.I use my wicked edge and the edge stays nice and sharp for two weeks that 120hrs of use.I keep a 20°edge and touch up with a diamond hone.my sous chef has chris reves set of custom chef knives with s35vn I also sharpen his at 20°on my wicked edge.its a little harder to get a edge but doesnt hold up as long as my vg10 but that is two different people using knives so I cant scientificly compair but his knife gets spots of rust daily.and he hones it many more times then I do.I. catch him using my knife all the time cause its sharper .he spent a loot of $ on the chris reves blades and hatesem but loves his sebenza wich is my old one.I do not no why he uses s35vn but for a kitchen knife I would not use s30vn or s35vn.vg10 doent have top marks in all the categories but it marks high in all of them .pluss ibthink the Japanese no steel best.

The only line I'm aware of that uses it is the Shun stuff and I can't warm up to those due to the ridiculously heavy handles... I wish Global would up their game in the steel category, I love their ergos, but CROMOVA 18/AUS6 loses its edge way too easily :P

All in all I'll take high carbon in the kitchen (at least at home), my hand forged Japanese blades are such good tools that the extra effort to keep them rust free is well worth the effort IMO.
I use the original shun ken onions.allot of the Japanese models use vg10.I am not a fan of global at all.have seen two blades hit the floor and crack in half way to thin and brittle.I love heavy knives but thats me .the ergos of the handle blade and bolster of the original shun ken onions are the best for my hands but its up ro the chef.hinkles has a line of Japanese knives I forget the company name and they use a vg steel very light.its like a mix of german ergos and Japanese ergos.I hate carbon steel in ktchens I had it chip like crazy and rust overnight.I cant clean off the rust but the chipping is a no go .kitchen knives fall and get beat up the brittleness and inconsistent lancy of hand made carbon chef knives are not worth the cost or headache.try the original shun jen pnion 8 inch chef and five inch warnclifg utility.you wont look back
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bile Bob wrote:For me and my uses I'll take S110V or CruWear over S30V.
Me too.

S110v for general purpose use, CruWear for "hard use" (or abuse).

S30V has the advantage that you can get it easily and it's pretty darn good.

But honestly, I never carry my good ole s30v Manix 2 now that I have the s110v LW.
arty

Post by arty »

endgame wrote:
awa54 wrote:

All in all I'll take high carbon in the kitchen (at least at home), my hand forged Japanese blades are such good tools that the extra effort to keep them rust free is well worth the effort IMO.
I use the original shun ken onions.allot of the Japanese models use vg10.I am not a fan of global at all.have seen two blades hit the floor and crack in half way to thin and brittle.I love heavy knives but thats me .the ergos of the handle blade and bolster of the original shun ken onions are the best for my hands but its up ro the chef.hinkles has a line of Japanese knives I forget the company name and they use a vg steel very light.its like a mix of german ergos and Japanese ergos.I hate carbon steel in ktchens I had it chip like crazy and rust overnight.I cant clean off the rust but the chipping is a no go .kitchen knives fall and get beat up the brittleness and inconsistent lancy of hand made carbon chef knives are not worth the cost or headache.try the original shun jen pnion 8 inch chef and five inch warnclifg utility.you wont look back
Tojiro and Spyderco do an excellent job with VG10. I have two Tojiro kitchen knives in VG10 at RC60. The jumbo Western Deba, like a giant chef's knife, is used to quarter chicken and split lobster tails. A Forgecraft in carbon steel needed to be sharpened after each use. I was able to go through 1 year and lots of sessions before the VG10 Deba needed to be sharpened. I have another Tojiro DP Gyoto that I haven't had to sharpen after about 9 months, and it is still screaming sharp.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yes I hate high carbon steel in the kitchen.I do believe you cannot get a better working steel then vg10.the Japanese are such great chefs also they no what works and what doesnt.I also no they do allot of handmade carbon knives wich I paid allot of $ for wich rusted in one day and chipped like plastic.great for show but not for a high paced kitchen.why would you use a sreel which tarnishes when you cut a lemon or tomatoes.they are just good for fish.I wish they make a pm2 in vg10 but its a golden product so that wont happen.I just want a steel that get high marks in all categories not the highest in one then the lowest in another.I want consistency wich vg10 offers.I also find the edge retention way higher then what is reported a 20° edge is perfect for kitchen use I tried them all it seems best angle for easy touch ups with a diamond hone.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I also a fan of S30V. easy to sharpen, hold a nice toothy edge for long. I didn't favor S110V and S90V because in my use i will have to sharpen them everyday due to chipping (they are too brittle)
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Actual Testing: Ankerson, Cliff Stamp, et al

Personal Opinion: Every time someone says or implies there isn't much difference between the high end steels and the merely adequate S30V

Taking exception to statements? Nothing so strong as that. Always find it interesting how much stock people put into how they perceive things versus what we see when actual analysis and testing is performed. Even when testing is flawed, it's better than individual user impressions.