S30v is a **** fine steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

S30v is a **** fine steel

Post by Surfingringo »

I've got all kinds of knives in all kinds of super steels and I have to tell you, s30v (and cpm154) remain some of my favorites. Sure, they may not hold an edge quite as long as s90v but the difference (IMO) isn't as notable as we like to think. So when I look at how much easier it is to bring s30v to very high level sharpness, I just find it is a better steel for me. Even though it might not hold an edge quite as long, the ratio between the time spent sharpening vs. using is much better for me than some of the newer "super steels". I'm not saying it is the "best" and I can appreciate why others might prefer other choices, but for me it is has a near optimal balance of properties.
Philo Beddoe

Re: S30v is a **** fine steel

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Surfingringo wrote:I've got all kinds of knives in all kinds of super steels and I have to tell you, s30v (and cpm154) remain some of my favorites. Sure, they may not hold an edge quite as long as s90v but the difference (IMO) isn't as notable as we like to think. So when I look at how much easier it is to bring s30v to very high level sharpness, I just find it is a better steel for me. Even though it might not hold an edge quite as long, the ratio between the time spent sharpening vs. using is much better for me than some of the newer "super steels". I'm not saying it is the "best" and I can appreciate why others might prefer other choices, but for me it is has a near optimal balance of properties.
Seems like that should go: "isn't as notable as I'd like to think"

It doesn't take me any extra time or effort to get S90V as sharp as S30V..maybe its time to work on your sharpening technique?

S30V is a good steel but I'll take S90V over it any day of the week.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I've got all kinds of knives in all kinds of super steels and I have to tell you, s30v (and cpm154) remain some of my favorites. Sure, they may not hold an edge quite as long as s90v but the difference (IMO) isn't as notable as we like to think. So when I look at how much easier it is to bring s30v to very high level sharpness, I just find it is a better steel for me. Even though it might not hold an edge quite as long, the ratio between the time spent sharpening vs. using is much better for me than some of the newer "super steels". I'm not saying it is the "best" and I can appreciate why others might prefer other choices, but for me it is has a near optimal balance of properties.

Seems like that should go: "isn't as notable as I'd like to think"

Yes, you are right, it probably should have.

It doesn't take me any extra time or effort to get S90V as sharp as S30V..maybe its time to work on your sharpening technique?

You could be correct about that but since I've never seen your sharpening work and you have never seen mine, we have to entertain other possibilities too. Like maybe what you call high level sharpness is different than what I call high level sharpness. ;)

S30V is a good steel but I'll take S90V over it any day of the week.

I understand and most folks on here probably feel similarly. I'm just not one of them.
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

Gringo! I totally agree! S30v is excellent. :)
paladin

Post by paladin »

Lance, I TOTALLY agree...s30v is relatively easy to get SCREAMING sharp on the the ceramics of the SM...

have you tried s35v?

I have found it to be equally OUTSTANDING and maybe even more AWESOMER than s30v!

How's that for scientific, rational, objectiveness?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

CPM154 is easily one my favorite steels. Two of my customs were chosen in that steel versus other "newer" options. One from Phil Wilson, and the other from Tom Krein.

ETA: I agree with the above post, I do like S35vn alot too when done well.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SteelSpyder wrote:CPM154 is easily one my favorite steels. Two of my customs were chosen in that steel versus other "newer" options. One from Phil Wilson, and the other from Tom Krein.

I had Phil make me a Punta Chivato earlier this year. I had a choice between s90v and cpm154. There was nothing to even think about! Cpm154 is an outstanding steel and I might actually prefer it to s30v. Of course, the only cpm154 I have used is in Phil's knives and I think he's got his ht pretty dialed in on that steel.
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

For me and my uses I'll take S110V or CruWear over S30V.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Surfingringo wrote:
SteelSpyder wrote:CPM154 is easily one my favorite steels. Two of my customs were chosen in that steel versus other "newer" options. One from Phil Wilson, and the other from Tom Krein.

I had Phil make me a Punta Chivato earlier this year. I had a choice between s90v and cpm154. There was nothing to even think about! Cpm154 is an outstanding steel and I might actually prefer it to s30v. Of course, the only cpm154 I have used is in Phil's knives and I think he's got his ht pretty dialed in on that steel.
Agreed, Phil really knows his way around heat treating!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Lots of spydies with s30v, must be pretty good stuff. I like the knifes I have with it. I like how easy it is to sharpen and seems to hold a decent edge, my favorites though are cruwear and super blue, but that changes on a daily basis depending on which blade I'm carrying that day :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love S30V too and if I had to find one complaint it would be that it does seem to rust easy for a "stainless" steel. However that is a moot point for me as corrosion resistance is not high on my list of attributes.

Yeah Lance, I think you need to work on your sharpening skills. :D That Spydie I got from you would only tree top arm hair. It really should have been able to neuter a mosquito. :spyder: ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

CPM154 is a great steel and I wonder why it is not used more often...fashion I guess. S30V is a wonderful steel that holds an edge for a long time. It does more things well, than not. I think these are two well balanced steels.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I didn't say anything about how sharp anyone can get any steel but it was said: "So when I look at how much easier it is to bring s30v to very high level sharpness, I just find it is a better steel for me.

I have no problem if that's someone elses observations but its not been mine..with one exception I can get all the currently used steels to about the same sharpness in approximately the same amount of time..the only steel that does take longer for me to sharpen is ZDP-189..that one I have to take more time with..but I really like ZDP-189..once sharp it keeps going and going..

Maybe I need to fine tune my ZDP-189 sharpening technique :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I like S30V a lot myself, one of the main steels that I used at work. :)
endgame

Post by endgame »

I hate to burst a you're bubble s but vg10 is the best all around steel hands down.it exceeds in all categories and is user friendly.I have been a chef for 25 years and vg10 is my and many go to steal.the Japanese invented cutlery steel.vg 10 is perfection.it has high marks in every aspect.not all 100 but all high.in my kitchen vg10 or nada
elena86

Post by elena86 »

If we are talking balance between ease of sharpening and edge retention, yes, S30v is well balanced and a good allround steel but I like CPM154 quite a lot.Me, I'm a huge fan of CPM Cruwear.You should give it a try Lance.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:I didn't say anything about how sharp anyone can get any steel but it was said: "So when I look at how much easier it is to bring s30v to very high level sharpness, I just find it is a better steel for me.

I have no problem if that's someone elses observations but its not been mine..with one exception I can get all the currently used steels to about the same sharpness in approximately the same amount of time..the only steel that does take longer for me to sharpen is ZDP-189..that one I have to take more time with..but I really like ZDP-189..once sharp it keeps going and going..

Maybe I need to fine tune my ZDP-189 sharpening technique :D
Right on Philo. We got no problem brother and I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything. :) The only reason I brought of level of sharpness is because it is relevant (in my experience. For example, I can apex and sharpen both s30v and s90v to shaving sharp in about the same amount of time. No real difference at all. But if I am say sharpening on a 600 grit bench stone and I want my final edge to instantly and firmly grab the hair on my head on contact, s90v takes more effort for me. I can get it there but I have to use more precision and a more tedious technique. Lighter passes, lubrication, and even then, I struggle to get it to the same exact level as something with a lower carbide volume. I know that it is possible because I can get it there but it sure does frustrate me sometimes.

That's the only reason I bring up sharpness level. If you are talking about sharpening to the point that they will both slice paper or shave leg hair (which is all that is really needed for most any work) then I agree with you. I imagine like most things, the more I do it, the better i will get at it so your other statement is probably right on too. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I love S30V too and if I had to find one complaint it would be that it does seem to rust easy for a "stainless" steel. However that is a moot point for me as corrosion resistance is not high on my list of attributes.

Yeah Lance, I think you need to work on your sharpening skills. :D That Spydie I got from you would only tree top arm hair. It really should have been able to neuter a mosquito. :spyder: ;)
Agreed! That is one of my only complaints with the steel. It is pretty irrelevant to my real world use as long as I am not trying to use it on the water. I have tested it specifically against s90v for corrosion resistance and s90v wins. The edge is attacked pretty quickly by corrosion in a salt environment I find.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think it's not just about ease of sharpening. S30V and VG-10 are great value for money, when you can pick up a PM2 in S30V for $100 or a Delica for $60 you really don't have an excuse not to use them. The S110V LW Manix is another great "user", knife.

Personally I don't have a lot of money to spend on knives but I know I can depend on the knives I mentioned and use them hard without worrying. With some of my more expensive steels I don't use them as hard because I know I can't replace them.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'm a fan of S30V and think it's a great steel. It's also a good value when you look at cost vs. performance and I can see why it is so ubiquitous in production knives.

I would definitely like to see some spydies in CPM-154. I had an SnG in that steel and it was a crazy good performer. One of my favorites. A CPM-154 Millie would be a fantastic package.