Using the Squeak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GaryC

Using the Squeak

Post by GaryC »

Anyone use the Squeak? Don't hear to much about it. I use mine as my off work carry, excellent small folder, as I said in the past reminds me of the co-pilot I had years ago. Any Squeak users here? Gary
SG89

Re: Using the Squeak

Post by SG89 »

I have a squeak. I love it. Mine is the TI version so it's kind of heavy compared to the frn version. I hope to get a frn version one day. Neat knife love the blade shape
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I have to admit I don't use it very often, but it still gets carried as a back-up every now and then.
It's great for using around people since it's not a "scary" looking knife.
Great little folder, love the broad blade on it for more controlled cuts :)

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I carry it without clip, inside the coin pocket...great to use at busy places
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been carrying my Pink Squeak as much as I can this month because it's Breast Cancer awareness month.

I use mine often enough and it's a joy to use every time. At first glance the blade looks like a Lava blade, which might have had some cutting issues because it was "too curvy". Everything you try to cut with the Lava seems to slide off the blade. The Squeak blade is curvy, but just shallow enough to cut really well. I've said it a few times in the past, I would love a Lava with the Squeak blade.

I've been finding with the blade so short, I don't need a 4 finger grip, the 3 finger grip on the Squeak works perfectly. The Squeak folded is really easy to not notice.

Albeit, I love carrying my Dragonfly and Heat folder.

I think the reason you don't hear it talked about much is that it handles a lot of the not so exciting cutting with no flaws.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Filoso- wrote:I carry it without clip, inside the coin pocket...great to use at busy places
Clipless in the coin pocket is how I roll, too! Added bonus, the deep carry clip from it works perfect with a lightweight Manix!

For really quick tasks, the Squeak is perfect, super easy to open and close with one hand, and the choil is a great safety feature.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

GaryC wrote:Anyone use the Squeak? Don't hear to much about it. I use mine as my off work carry, excellent small folder, as I said in the past reminds me of the co-pilot I had years ago. Any Squeak users here? Gary
Yup- Carried pretty much exclusively for 2 years when it came out and still in regular rotation today.

Just enough knife for my normal needs around the office and day-to-day stuff- and the 'fat seed' shape of the blade is 'cute' to a lot of non-knife-peeps.

Had no issues with the slim and slicey N690 either- apart from finding Wifeykins using it to dig up shells on Abaeron beach. *sigh*
No ill effects after a clean and dry.

Only things that have replaced it in the 'slipjoint' rotation have been the Roadie (even more normal-folk-friendly) and an Urban wharncliffe (Love me some wharnie!)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:
Clipless in the coin pocket is how I roll, too! Added bonus, the deep carry clip from it works perfect with a lightweight Manix!
Exactly what I did with the clip! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I carry mine very often and must say for a small knife its up to most jobs, just cutting large things even an apple is not always practicale on the otherhand it does a great job in pealing an apple.

The ergos are great just like the bigger brother Caly 3 and 3.5. And man do I love the N690Co. It takes a easily a fine edge, has a good wear resistance and takes a great shine. One evening I was watch TV and polished the back with piece of leather and some diamond paste.

I was amazed by the shine I got just from rubbing it with some diamond paste :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Have to carry this Squeak this month!

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carried mine without the clip but no longer have it. I gifted it to a woman moving to Germany, just the other day. Now I have to buy another one. If only the Ti were more reasonably priced.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Still like the Pingo better, but YMMV
Fresh Eddie Fresh

DutchBlades wrote:
Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:
Exactly what I did with the clip! :D
Great minds think alike! :)
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Still finding it more & more pocket time, love the frn handles with clip , finger choil & one hand opening. Also made in Italy hit the spot, well made knife with a good blade, should have picked up a pink one for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seems like all my other knives are being push aside. Great little knife that cuts big. Gary
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Took mine on a little trip recently
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Nice pics, can't show any, not set up for it, wish I could as New England turning into Fall. Glad to see some Squeak users out there. Gary
Fresh Eddie Fresh

GaryC wrote:Nice pics, can't show any, not set up for it, wish I could as New England turning into Fall. Glad to see some Squeak users out there. Gary
Hi Neighbor! I live in Boston. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just got my Squeak yesterday. It was used and so needed some work on the Sharpmaker. So far I'm really impressed with the N690Co. I've loved my Chicago size/utility but not the steel, so I have high hopes. It's also my first slip-it.

I'm now *really* looking forward to the Elmax Urban LW.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Thats the same clip on the meerkat I love it
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I still think the Squeak is an awesome small edc blade! Lightweight, ergonomic, people-friendly, great steel IMO....one of my all time favorites...