Bradley folder 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: Bradley folder 2

Post by swigert »

Mines right in the middle. Just smooth all around. Every opening technique works great. It's a winner. Mines developing a nice patina.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Skywalker wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:So I've read a few of you guys have mentioned that your gb2's have got a weak detent. Is this a common thing or the exception?
I'm not sure how others see weak/strong detents. I'll just say that I haven't had any issues with it coming open in my pocket, and the only way I can "shake" the blade out is to orient it so that the blade will open pointing down, shake the handle down quickly, and really make it "pop" and the end of the downward motion. Blade reliably opens and locks with that, can't get it to open at all trying to shake/flick the handle any other way.

That's pretty much where I like it for liner/frame locks. Opening with the thumb is smooth and easy, there's enough detent to use the middle finger to flick it out from behind reliably, and other than that it doesn't open.
Mine opens exactly like yours but that isn't ideal for me. Canadian law doesn't like it when a knife can be opened without me using my thumb. I would much prefer it if the detent was stronger.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I tried a very unscientific experiment this morning with my GB2 and my M390 PM2, the one in my rotation with the weakest detent, after I read Jon's comment. For 10 very firm shakes holding the knife handle nearly horizontally (bordering on throwing it on the floor), the PM2 opened three times, but it took a bit of effort and wrist flick.

For the GB2 with 10 much lighter wrist flicks, it opened easily all 10 times! Guess I found a cool new way to open it! A bit surprising yes, but duly noted and I wouldn't consider its detent weak, but a decent shake does indeed get it moving :eek:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I tried a very unscientific experiment this morning with my GB2 and my M390 PM2, the one in my rotation with the weakest detent, after I read Jon's comment. For 10 very firm shakes holding the knife handle nearly horizontally (bordering on throwing it on the floor), the PM2 opened three times, but it took a bit of effort and wrist flick.

For the GB2 with 10 much lighter wrist flicks, it opened easily all 10 times! Guess I found a cool new way to open it! A bit surprising yes, but duly noted and I wouldn't consider its detent weak, but a decent shake does indeed get it moving :eek:
I like your test. I'm having a hard time seeing how you've decided the detent isn't weak. :confused:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Liquid Cobra wrote: I like your test. I'm having a hard time seeing how you've decided the detent isn't weak. :confused:
I guess I'm trying to be polite!? Its detent is easy to overcome. To me "weak" means it just doesn't stay closed and/or doesn't have any "snap" into the closed position. The GB2 is not like that, it has great snap back and it's obvious the mechanics are correct, just very "soft"... If you get my meaning...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote: I like your test. I'm having a hard time seeing how you've decided the detent isn't weak. :confused:
I guess I'm trying to be polite!? Its detent is easy to overcome. To me "weak" means it just doesn't stay closed and/or doesn't have any "snap" into the closed position. The GB2 is not like that, it has great snap back and it's obvious the mechanics are correct, just very "soft"... If you get my meaning...
I do :)

@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Interesting your GB2 has such a weak detent, my seems fine. The only piece I have with a weak detent is my Schemmp Bowie, I can get the blade to snap open every time with a wrist flick.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Using my GB2 over the weekend, I was wondering why I enjoyed this knife so much. Some people haven't liked it because while it has the GB1 traits, it isn't anything at all like the original Gayle Bradley folder. I would agree with that. For me, compares better to something completely different: the PM2.

I generally did not like larger knives. My first folding knife was the PM2 (based on popular demand) and while it was an exceptional performer and an ergonomic dream in use, I found it to be too big to carry regularly (and it killed my jeans), so I sold it off without regret.

After 2 years, I spring for the GB2 and it is even bigger, but I have none of the qualms I had about the PM2. Why not?

PM2: OAL: 8.28" | Blade: 3.44" | Edge: 3.08" | Blade Thickness: 0.14" | Handle Length: 4.81" | Handle Thickness: 0.46"
GB2: OAL: 8.42" | Blade: 3.60" | Edge: 3.38" | Blade Thickness: 0.12" | Handle Length: 4.82" | Handle Thickness: 0.49"
GB1: OAL: 8.08" | Blade: 3.44" | Edge: 3.19" | Blade Thickness: 0.125" | Handle Length: 4.69" | Handle Thickness: 0.51"

They are remarkably similar in listed dimensions; but I think it's the unlisted dimensions that worked for me.
The GB2 closed width is slimmer. The Taichung fit and finish is a step up from the PM2 that I had. The Blade:Handle ratio gives you most of the ergos of the PM2 (minus the 50/50 choil) and gives you more cutting edge.

All three are amazing value for lower-midrange folding knives. For the GB2, I think Spyderco and Gayle have a PM2 level hit on their hands here.

Anyone have any comparison photos of their GB2 with other ~3.5" Spydies?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

New clip!

I finally managed to get the screws out. No loctite. I just had a driver handle that was too narrow to provide sufficient torque.

Pivot system is pretty much the same as the Techno: pivot pin + two phosphor bronze washers, pivot screws;
Stop pin rolls slightly. Self-adjusting! The handle scales have handy inset placer pins.

This was my second takedown (didn't have time for photos the first time). It was a bit dirty in there with all the CF/G-10 dust from the factory, and the excess mineral oil that seeped from pivot to between the scales and liners.

My ball is flat. This is not a problem.
If you get a bit confused about which way the liners face, the finish on the inside of the liner is random (and probably not super flat), while the 'outside' scale-facing side is polished flat with horizontal pulls.

Ds are the standoffs. They are a bit finicky to reassemble so pay attention to which standoff came from which spot, as well as the D fitting (one side only). One standoff might fit fine into one liner at that spot, but might not on the other side.

Route on! Liner lock side scale.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I get the knife yesterday. So far I have mixed emotions about it. It's very nice, elegant, folder with great slicing M4 blade. But it's painful to unlock it for me. After 2 hours of playing , I have sore thumb. I know it was not design to play, but to work. Spydie hole is also smaller and my big fingers have some trouble to open as quickly and reliable as PM2 or Millie.
Detent is definitely on the weaker side. When I looked against light I can see that detent ball doesn't sink in the blade all the way. So the hole in blade is either small, or not in right place. I don't want to disassemble the knife.

I want to give it a try for some time.Ergo of it is great in many positions, but when it will be still uncomfortable to open and mostly close for me I'll have to sell it.:(
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

[quote="hoimin"]New clip!

Please do tell more about the clip. Where did you get it, who makes it? I've been eyeing several on eBay but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also, thank you for the deconstruct photos. Very interesting to see.

ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Been torn between this or a PM2. Think I'm going to hold out for the M4 PM2. Seems like the consensus is that it's a little more difficult to open/close, and definitely not as fun.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mako109 wrote:
hoimin wrote:New clip!

Please do tell more about the clip. Where did you get it, who makes it? I've been eyeing several on eBay but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also, thank you for the deconstruct photos. Very interesting to see.
That's a Casey Lynch clip. He goes by "originalspaceman" on Blade Forums and sells them through there(cheaper than most as well).
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

abbazaba wrote:
Mako109 wrote:
hoimin wrote:New clip!

That's a Casey Lynch clip. He goes by "originalspaceman" on Blade Forums and sells them through there(cheaper than most as well).
Actually, it's MXG Gear's version, who are also on eBay. I would've gotten the Casey Lynch actually, but I don't have PayPal.

This clip is good and strong, with the black powder coating. I wasn't able to use the Spyderco clip screws that were blacked out because the heads were too small for this clip's holes. MXG/gnoleb provided two sets of screws: one longer set, and a shorter set that's the same length as the stock ones.

The only nit pick I have with this clip design is that it is hard to install without running the driver bit against the hole's circumference, which has scraped off some of the coating in those contact areas. It also obstructs the very last standoff screw, so when disassembling you have to take the clip off first. I might just deliberately burnish the hole for a glossy titanium finish even though it is a bit counter to the blacked out look.
ejames13 wrote:Been torn between this or a PM2. Think I'm going to hold out for the M4 PM2. Seems like the consensus is that it's a little more difficult to open/close, and definitely not as fun.
Go for the sprint! If you don't like the PM2, the GB2 will still be there to make you feel better (but hurt your thumb for a day first).
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

@hoimin - Thanks so much for your reply and description of MXG Gear's clip. Good to know!

@abbazaba - Thanks for the info on how to contact Casey. I read good things about his work.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Igi964 wrote:I get the knife yesterday. So far I have mixed emotions about it. It's very nice, elegant, folder with great slicing M4 blade. But it's painful to unlock it for me. After 2 hours of playing , I have sore thumb. I know it was not design to play, but to work. Spydie hole is also smaller and my big fingers have some trouble to open as quickly and reliable as PM2 or Millie.
Detent is definitely on the weaker side. When I looked against light I can see that detent ball doesn't sink in the blade all the way. So the hole in blade is either small, or not in right place. I don't want to disassemble the knife.

I want to give it a try for some time.Ergo of it is great in many positions, but when it will be still uncomfortable to open and mostly close for me I'll have to sell it.:(

I gave it some time.I like to play with my knives :) My thumb is OK with closing now. I can flick it open easily. Slow open is unbelivebly smooth and the sound of liner lock is impresive. So after 3 weeks I must admit this is a great knife.Definitely recommended. Looks very elegant, cut like a laser and with Casey Lynch clip I don't know about it in the pocket. Like it more every day ;)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Igi964 wrote: I gave it some time.I like to play with my knives :) My thumb is OK with closing now. I can flick it open easily. Slow open is unbelivebly smooth and the sound of liner lock is impresive. So after 3 weeks I must admit this is a great knife.Definitely recommended. Looks very elegant, cut like a laser and with Casey Lynch clip I don't know about it in the pocket. Like it more every day ;)
I'm glad you gave it a chance and it worked out for you (and your thumb)!

I just gave mine (and some of its friends) a workout yesterday, whittling and sort of feathering a stick.
GB2Whittle.jpg
Banged it against a small knot a few times while clearing out the bark, but the edge held up great. Still slicing paper after.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I tried to take a picture of my thumb after a few weeks of playing with GB2. It's hard to see, but I have thicker layer of skin right on the spot where it hits the liner when I close the knife :)
And it works. Nature always finds it's way ;)
Attachments
WP_20160321_15_33_10_Pro.jpg
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Well I went back to the original Bradley after EDCing the GB2 for a bit. I find the lock of the GB1 easier to operate. I also like the beefy liners. Finally, I'm tired of the twill laminate CF scales. If there's only room for one Bradley in my collection it'll be the original. The sequel has its merits but it's not for me.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Shockwave wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:So is anyone else having problems with a weak detent? I'm sad to say that my Bradley 2 doesn't hold the blade in the closed position very well. It's on par with my Starmate.

Any recommendations on how I can fix it? Take it apart and bend the lock bar? Send it in?
I had the same problem. I'm just such a noob I didn't want to come on here bitchin'. It worried me that it would open in my pocket though. I could shake it a little upside down and it would open. After I put my Sketchen scales on, I tightened the pivot a bit more than how it came. It seemed to really help and it's not a problem anymore.
Did you say Sketchen scales and not post a picture? Must be an issue with my phone because nobody would be so mean.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.