What if a Yojimbo 2 and a Manix 2 had a love child?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What if a Yojimbo 2 and a Manix 2 had a love child?

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
akaAK wrote:That's a real professional job. That and the Kiwi you did are probably two of my favourite modded knives on this forum (that is some serious competition)
Wow man thanks for the compliment. I can do some nice things with a Dremel, but some of the guys here like Ted have me blown away when it comes to making full custom scales with no liners. If I had the tools and know how to make custom scales, this particular knife would be getting solid G10 handle scales. I've talked to some guys who make scales but so far nobody wants to give it a try.
Refresh my memory...are the liners on your Manix recessed into the G-10 or are they more of a slab style construction? If it's slab style, I think it would actually be fairly easy to do. The only tricky part would be on cutting out the bilateral oblong holes that support the lock release buttons. However, I don't see why this couldn't be done with a drill press and perhaps a Dremel for finish work... Hmm. Would you think .187" G-10 would be thick enough for the handles?
The scales are just flat slabs of G10, not nested into the liners. As for the lock holes, this is why I've asked a few of the guys who have made aluminum scales that completely replace the metal liners, hoping that they either CNC them or had some other means to cut it out.
swigert

Post by swigert »

David,

How has the knife been in use the past few days?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:David,

It's been great! I've been on the hunt looking for anything to use it on. Still adjusting to the extra weight though, these things are pigs! The best part I've noticed is how the thumb hole has nothing in the way now, not that it was bad before but now it's right out in the open so it's super easy to get at. I can't wait to get this thing on a drill press and swiss cheese the liners.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
swigert wrote:David,

It's been great! I've been on the hunt looking for anything to use it on. Still adjusting to the extra weight though, these things are pigs! The best part I've noticed is how the thumb hole has nothing in the way now, not that it was bad before but now it's right out in the open so it's super easy to get at. I can't wait to get this thing on a drill press and swiss cheese the liners.
I'm sure cutting weight out here will be huge. I have a regular manix 2 with some custom scales but it's hard to carry because of that liner weight when compared to a manix 2 sprint and especially compared to the regular s110v.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

David, this is the first time I'm seeing this thread and I love it. I just picked up my first Manix (a LW) and had the same idea in mind. You've given me the confidence to go ahead and try. Should be easier with the lightweight, as it's just grinding away FRCP, and no crucial components are in the area anyway.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Before I saw the photos, I thought it was about a wharnie with CBBL, kind of like a Q Ball on steroids.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Here is one I did in 2006, I think?

Small image because Photobucket took my pics...
mini chop.jpg
mini chop.jpg (4.79 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Amazing work by David! (and Stuart). Perfectly done.

That being said: I personally really like how the (non modded) Manix handle is shaped,it feels very secure and like made for my hand both in a regular and choked up grip.
I must be kind of a "finger groove guy", since I also find both the Endura and Delica handle perfectly comfortable (while others don´t like the finger placements resp. these don´t fit their hands)

But then Davids modded handle reminds me of the Stretch ergos, which I also like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:56 am
Amazing work by David! (and Stuart). Perfectly done.

That being said: I personally really like how the (non modded) Manix handle is shaped,it feels very secure and like made for my hand both in a regular and choked up grip.
I must be kind of a "finger groove guy", since I also find both the Endura and Delica handle perfectly comfortable (while others don´t like the finger placements resp. these don´t fit their hands)

But then Davids modded handle reminds me of the Stretch ergos, which I also like.
David's mod definitely reminds me of the Byrd Raven the most, as pointed out by WireEdge Roger on the first page.

For me the second finger guard seems like it forces my hand into one of two uncomfortable positions, if that makes sense. Either using the foreword choil and giving purchase with the rest of my hand, or foregoing it and holding the knife in more of a saber grip. I think if you use a hammer grip it doesn't matter much, but I don't really do most of my cutting that way. For my uses, I think removing the second finger guard will make it fit just great. Now if only I could make the handle a bit shorter! I may also try to sand down the extra jimping on the handle.

For me it's not that the Delica and Endura don't fit, I can actually use them pretty comfortably (more so than the stock Manix handle actually). I just prefer the swell (and the 50/50 choil). I am excited to handle the Rock Jumper (or Leaf Jumper) when the time comes.

I'm glad that Spyderco has so many different models, with different ergonomics, to suit different hands. The Yojumbo is another great example of this.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 am
Here is one I did in 2006, I think?

Small image because Photobucket took my pics...

mini chop.jpg
Very nice Stuart! I'm glad to see that I'm not crazy and others have had the same thoughts.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really didn't dislike the original shape, in some ways I actually prefer it over the mod I did. Overall though I generally don't care for finger grooves aside from maybe one "point" behind the index finger which is basically what you get when gripping on the choil on my knife. This knife ended up a little thinner in the grip than I really wanted, I have come to prefer a taller grip in the front of the handle if it can still have a strong guard too. I was really really hung up on the Yojimbo 2 handle when I did this mod.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I should have known, but no way will this work for a lightweight without compromising the handle, as the scales are skeletonized. Hard to describe, but the scales swell towards the edge in order to provide a wide bearing surface, and this would have to be removed entirely on the second finger guard, creating a very thin, and pretty uncomfortable portion of the handle. Oh well! Maybe only day I'll swap the blade into G10. Or just buy knives I like the ergonomics of better. :-)

I did have fun mocking up the handle out of cardboard, and I did manage to sand down all the the jimping on the FRCP, which makes the knife a lot more comfortable.

I wouldn't mind a small fixed blade with this shape.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wish the yojimbo had the swell of the manix instead of the finger grooves.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm
i wish the yojimbo had the swell of the manix instead of the finger grooves.
That's a big ditto from me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:56 am
David's mod definitely reminds me of the Byrd Raven the most, as pointed out by WireEdge Roger on the first page.

For me the second finger guard seems like it forces my hand into one of two uncomfortable positions, if that makes sense. Either using the foreword choil and giving purchase with the rest of my hand, or foregoing it and holding the knife in more of a saber grip. I think if you use a hammer grip it doesn't matter much, but I don't really do most of my cutting that way. For my uses, I think removing the second finger guard will make it fit just great. Now if only I could make the handle a bit shorter! I may also try to sand down the extra jimping on the handle.

For me it's not that the Delica and Endura don't fit, I can actually use them pretty comfortably (more so than the stock Manix handle actually). I just prefer the swell (and the 50/50 choil). I am excited to handle the Rock Jumper (or Leaf Jumper) when the time comes.

I'm glad that Spyderco has so many different models, with different ergonomics, to suit different hands. The Yojumbo is another great example of this.
As said in another thread: We do agree on many things... but not on all ;)
Though this one is not really about personal opinion anyway, but plain and simple about different "hand geometries" I guess.

When you say that "the second finger guard seems to force your hand into one of two uncomfortable positions" it makes total sense! Just that for my particular hand size and -form these happen to be two very comfortable positions, and I like the second finger guard as something to push back against when cutting. If my hand was shaped differently, I might very well feel not that way.

On the other hand: As said I also like the "swell" of the Stretch handle and like you I am very much looking forward to the Rock Jumper, which seems to have a pretty "stretch-like" general handle design.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

How do a Yojimbo 2 and Manix 2 make love?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:09 am
With the Yo 2 on top...

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 am
FeistyKat wrote:
With the Yo 2 on top...

Stay safe,

Mike

Not sure if Eric will agree... ;)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

demoncase wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:45 am
Very slick job.

My 'benchmark' for a custom job is when you have to look carefully to understand that it wasn't a factory model....So very well done. :)
The Manix 2 is my favorite and I too was a little confused when I first looked at the pictures haha. Looks very “stock” which is what I too thinks makes a good modification.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:18 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 am
FeistyKat wrote:
With the Yo 2 on top...

Stay safe,

Mike

Not sure if Eric will agree... ;)
I was thinking "carefully"...just like porcupines.