Spyderco: Ergonomic Superiority

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco: Ergonomic Superiority

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I was carrying and using my G-10 Sprint, C-60 Ayoob model which is one of my all time favorite Spyders and it's got to be possibly Spyderco's most ergonomic model ever IMO. While I was cutting up some items and opening some boxes with my much beloved Ayoob model I was just marveling at it's ease of use and the masterful ergonomic handle and blade configuration. I've used my Ayoob models in the past for a wide spectrum of cutting chores and the vast ergonomics of the C-60 Ayoob model never ceases to completely amaze me.

The C-60 Ayoob has been on my personal JD's TOP 10 list for several years now and it would take one extremely superb design to unseat it at this point. I truly wish Mr. Ayoob and Mr. Glesser would at some point go back to the drawing board for another great collaboration. But the C-60 isn't the only great ergonomic design in the Spyderco line up. I've been using my M390 Military a lot this week too and it's got it's own set of ergonomic features as well. What looks like a standard, conventional blade design is anything but standard.

I truly think that Ergonomics is a set of features in their models that sets Spyderco apart from many other major knife producers. When it comes to handle designs I do believe that some of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs have some of the better folder and fixed blade handles I've ever owned. I can even say that about my beloved Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model>> that handle is so ergonomic that everyone I show it to compliments that handle on the TEMP 1 model. Not to mention a lot of their folder handles as well.

What do you all like "Ergonomically Speaking" concerning Spyderco's great knives? Which models do you all think are the most ergonomic of Spyderco's past and present models? Which Spyderco fixed blade do you all think deserves the #1 Spot in the ergonomic category? OK let's talk ERGONOMICS in Spyders
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinOubre

Re: Spyderco: Ergonomic Superiority

Post by KevinOubre »

I find ergonomics is actually the place where Spyderco can make the largest improvement, at least in folders. The edges of the scales are without a doubt the biggest draw back to my K2. Makes it very hard to do heavy cutting, especially in the hammer grip. The edges of the liners in my Gayle Bradley could also have been chamfered more. I even find the paramilitary 2 to have hot spots under medium-heavy to heavy cutting. Their fixed blades are excellent in my opinion though. The Bushcraft is probably the most comfortable knife I own hands down. Fantastic ergonomics on that one. I also love my Southfork and will probably snag a Bradley Bowie as my next fixed blade.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For me UKPK embodies what I call "spydernomics".But only in finger choil grip.When it comes to behind the choil grip, Manix2 is my choice.I can't speak for fixed blades since, shame on me, I don't own one.But I feel like Aqua Salt could be my choice.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I agree with you generally, but like any knife company with an enormous stable of designs, some knives that many love don't work for me. The Endura and Native 5 come to mind: I find the Endura finger scallops to be placed in exactly the wrong places for a comfortable grip, and the Native 5 to be a weird 'in-between' size I can't get comfortable with - too small to choke back on and too wide and 'big'-feeling when holding it in the choil.

That said, I think my Dragonfly and Delica are two of the most ergonomically superior knives I've ever, ever handled. Perfect in any grip the handle affords.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

HammerHill wrote:I agree with you generally, but like any knife company with an enormous stable of designs, some knives that many love don't work for me. The Endura and Native 5 come to mind: I find the Endura finger scallops to be placed in exactly the wrong places for a comfortable grip, and the Native 5 to be a weird 'in-between' size I can't get comfortable with - too small to choke back on and too wide and 'big'-feeling when holding it in the choil.

That said, I think my Dragonfly and Delica are two of the most ergonomically superior knives I've ever, ever handled. Perfect in any grip the handle affords.
You make an excellent point "HammerHill" because I've said for years that Spyderco is also the King of the Small folders>> and you can add small fixed blades to that line up as well. I've never found a line up of small knives that fit my hand so ergonomically. I had an old Spyder from the 90s called the SPUR model and it fit my hand just as good as one of their full sized folders. The DODO which is small by a lot of people's standards also fits my hand like it was custom made for me.

When I got my first STREETBEAT model I wanted to immediately trade it or sell it because I thought it was way too small >> but to my most pleasant surprise the knife was ergonomically as accomodating as many of Spyderco's full sized fixed blades. The Salsa, The Mouse, The Cricket are all small Spyders that have excellent grip for their size. I know not every Spyder is going to be an ergonomic wonder for everybody but most of the Spyders I've owned have superb ergonomics.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great topic, JD. I definitely agree with you regarding the superior ergos on the models mentioned. As Sal and Eric like to say, their knives are designed with "more brain and less eye." ;) To some unfamiliar with Spyderco, the designs may appear "odd" or "crazy looking." To those of us who know differently, we understand that sometimes refined ergos does not necessarily translate to good looks. ;) (Although I'll be first to say that I LOVE even the odd looking models that Spyderco has made both past and present).
To me, I've always been amazed at how superior ergonomics can be crammed beautifully into something as small as the Dragonfly2. I mean, get a Dragonfly2 and really study it. There's not one protrusion or point that does not serve a well-thought purpose. Love it! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

The ergos on most Spydies are fantastic. I do have a small gripe about the LW models made in Colorado. They would be much more comfortable to carry IWB if the edges were smoother like on the Seki models.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:Today I was carrying and using my G-10 Sprint, C-60 Ayoob model which is one of my all time favorite Spyders and it's got to be possibly Spyderco's most ergonomic model ever IMO. While I was cutting up some items and opening some boxes with my much beloved Ayoob model I was just marveling at it's ease of use and the masterful ergonomic handle and blade configuration. I've used my Ayoob models in the past for a wide spectrum of cutting chores and the vast ergonomics of the C-60 Ayoob model never ceases to completely amaze me.
Joe, I don't know why you have to go and post things like this.

I had an Ayoob sprint, I carried it a few times. When I had it in my hand and operated it, I did not hear angels singing like you always describe. I ended up trading it away. Each time I see you make one of these posts, it makes me want to try the Ayoob again.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The knife ergo gods have smiled upon my Dragonfly 2s and my Delica 4s. Not so much on the other Spyderco folders I've tried. I think a Street Beat would be sweet, but then I don't have a call for a fixed blade self defense knife. Sweet though.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

DF2,Delica4,and Tenacious have superb ergos for me.Not so much the big bugs,like the Resilience,Manix XL or especialy the Tatanka.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I agree that the Resilience is less comfortable compared to Tenacious.
Chris :spyder:
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I completely agree about the Temperance - for a while there i thought Sal had broken in and measured my hands while i was sleeping, doesnt matter which grip either, normal or icepick, edge out or edge in, it is comfy.

for a little knife the Roadie fits my hands nicely (and is my current favorite) i really like the feel of the Persian too - for some reason, picking it up feels like shaking hands with an old friend.

I cant think of a spyderco knife that isnt comfortable to use though, they all seem to fit my XXL hands well.

EDIT - just remembered the Spydercard, not hand friendly at all
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Today I was carrying and using my G-10 Sprint, C-60 Ayoob model which is one of my all time favorite Spyders and it's got to be possibly Spyderco's most ergonomic model ever IMO. While I was cutting up some items and opening some boxes with my much beloved Ayoob model I was just marveling at it's ease of use and the masterful ergonomic handle and blade configuration. I've used my Ayoob models in the past for a wide spectrum of cutting chores and the vast ergonomics of the C-60 Ayoob model never ceases to completely amaze me.

I had an Ayoob sprint, I carried it a few times. When I had it in my hand and operated it, I did not hear angels singing like you always describe. I ended up trading it away. Each time I see you make one of these posts, it makes me want to try the Ayoob again.
Not just any angel dude :cool: It's Michael the ARCHANGEL that appears :eek: when I get out my C-60 Ayoob :D Not to mention the Cheribims and all the other Angelic Hosts :rolleyes: The only thing I want now is for Spyderco to do the C-60 in either Titanium or Micarta :cool: >> Or I do hope at some point Mr. Glesser and Mr. Ayoob go back to the drawing board for an AYOOB II model :cool: but only if they also make it availabe in Spyderedge. But a Micarta version of the C-60 would truly be nice with an M390 blade :cool:

All joking aside I do have other Spyder-Classics that also fit the criteria for Ergonomic Wonders in the Spyder Gallery of Mega-Classics. The JD Smith is also an ergonomic wonder. Today I was playing around with my boss's C-56 Zowada model and it's an ergonomic icon in it's own rite. One that you all wouldn't even suspect of being considered an ergonomic specimen is the Ti ATR. For now I rest my case ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Echo63 wrote:I completely agree about the Temperance - for a while there i thought Sal had broken in and measured my hands while i was sleeping, doesnt matter which grip either, normal or icepick, edge out or edge in, it is comfy.

I cant think of a spyderco knife that isnt comfortable to use though, they all seem to fit my XXL hands well.

EDIT - just remembered the Spydercard, not hand friendly at all
"Echo63" I'm so glad you and a couple of other folks who have had the priviledge of being around long enough to have owned one of the TEMPERANCE 1 models. Now I've had a TEMPERANCE 2 in my hands and Brother it's also one helluva fixed blade but still I don't even think it has the ergos of the original TEMP 1 model. I've wanted to see a SPRINT version of the TEMP 1 come to fruition so bad and I won't shut up until the Great Spyder Factory caves in and gives it to us ;) If I didn't know better I would absolutely declare that Spyderco custom made that blade and handle for me JD Spydo.

It's so comfortable to use in the kitchen and outdoor uses>> I've had other Spyderco fixed blades and I've got the SOUTHFORk on my Gotta Have list but I will never get rid of the TEMP 1. And if I can find more back up units I'll be snagging them as well. The PE & SE TEMP 1 is a Super Classic and a User's dream blade IMO. Anyone who has ever owned a TEMP 1 will usually agree with me that the TEMP 1 may indeed by Spyderco's most "ergonomic fixed blade ever IMO.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Donut wrote:

Not just any angel dude :cool: It's Michael the ARCHANGEL that appears :eek: when I get out my C-60 Ayoob :D Not to mention the Cheribims and all the other Angelic Hosts :rolleyes: The only thing I want now is for Spyderco to do the C-60 in either Titanium or Micarta :cool: >> Or I do hope at some point Mr. Glesser and Mr. Ayoob go back to the drawing board for an AYOOB II model :cool: but only if they also make it availabe in Spyderedge. But a Micarta version of the C-60 would truly be nice with an M390 blade :cool:

All joking aside I do have other Spyder-Classics that also fit the criteria for Ergonomic Wonders in the Spyder Gallery of Mega-Classics. The JD Smith is also an ergonomic wonder. Today I was playing around with my boss's C-56 Zowada model and it's an ergonomic icon in it's own rite. One that you all wouldn't even suspect of being considered an ergonomic specimen is the Ti ATR. For now I rest my case ;)
That sounds pretty nice and all, but I hope my past experiences can persuade me to not have to buy them all. :P
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sometimes, when I'm driving my car with a standard manual trans, I wish I could replace the shift knob with an empty handle from my Caly 3, then row through the gears like a boss.
Going back to Caly.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I love the manix 2 ergos to me they are almost perfect and the larger manix2 is spot on except both of them can ditch the jimping on the handle front and back. I like it on the choil and blade ramp but that goofy handle jimping is uncomfortable to me. But overall the manix 2 is my favorite knife design out of any knives I have owned or tried. Now if I could just get Chris Reeve and Spyderco to collaborate on a manix 2 s90v or s110v. I won't hold my breath.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I particularly like the ergo's of the grips on the UK Bushcraft & the D'allara.
Dyads excite me as well.
O.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I can only Judge the models I have untill 2010 or so and I find that the small Spydies fit my big hands the best (size 10 gloves) or the really big ones (Military Endura 2 or 3)
Furthermore I think that the simple handles are egonomically the best for mediun sized knives. So not too much angles or finger grooves.
My very favourite handles are:

Big: Military, SS Police, ATR, Endura 2 and 3 ( On the E4 I'm on the same boat as Hammer Hill)
Medium: G10 Standard, Delica 4 and second D3 and Rescue Junior/79mm. Never could warm up to the Native.
Small: Dragonfly SS (don't own the new FRN/G10 ones so can't judge), SS Cricket, G10 Navigator Experimental, SS Co Pilot, Ladybug 3 and 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the vast majority of knife makers simply try to make things look "cool" and they may throw some finger grooves on a handle but I really wonder sometimes if a human hand ever handles these knives before they go into production. Some knives just have such poor ergonomics I can't imagine they ever had a prototype phase.