UK penknife question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Birdman21

UK penknife question

Post by Birdman21 »

So I got a G-10 UK penknife on the way, my very first Spydie of its kind! Was just curious what everyone thinks of them, good bad or indifferent. I'm not quite sure I understand how the slip joint mechanism on a UKPK differs from a traditional slip joint. Thx!
Commendatore

Re: UK penknife question

Post by Commendatore »

Great knives imo, the UKPK has a stop at the 90° open position, most slip joints don´t. As long as a finger is in the choil they are as safe as locking knives.
I use the G10 UKPK Rescue as my main EDC, has not let me down, ever!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

A conventional slipjoint has a flat spring which sits on a flat on the blade tang to hold the knife open. When you apply closing force, the end of the tang simply lifts the spring. The UKPK is what is called a "notch joint". Rather than having a flat spring, it has a rounded swell at the tip which drops into a notch on the tang very similar to the locking notch on a backlock. It changes the direction that closing force is transmitted from the tang to the spring, increasing the amount of closing force required to overcome the spring without increasing the spring tension to the point of making the knife hard to open.
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

Good info guys! Feeling a lot better about my choice!
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I really like my FRN UKPK ! :)
Same size and shape as the Caly 3 ! But the UKPK is really light (48 grs :eek: :cool: ) ! An awesome knife ! :cool:
That seems not really well know/like :confused:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

I got my UKPK yesterday, and I put it through a few paces at work. I cut up some plastic sheeting and broke down a few boxes, it flew through the it like a light saber! The only chore I didn't feel confident using it for was cutting up lengths of fire hose, I used my PM2 for that, but probably more of a hang up of mine than anything with the knife itself. It's a sturdy little fellow, and I can definitely see me carrying it quite a bit!
endgame

Post by endgame »

The stop makes so it cant be labeled as a gravity knife you cant flick it open.mostly for uk laws
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

endgame wrote:The stop makes so it cant be labeled as a gravity knife you cant flick it open.mostly for uk laws
And NYC knife laws! Which is one of the reasons I bought it! Lol!
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Same here I have few slip joint due to the French Knives laws...
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D