Is there a "more ideal" platform for testing steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Is there a "more ideal" platform for testing steel?

Post by Donut »

First off, I know the razor blade thing is not being considered because there are other companies doing well in the market. I know having an exchangeable blade has been talked about negatively. I'm looking at a few things, but I can't get past the idea that it would be nice to have steel to test in a very small (LBKish) package.

I was looking at something I got. Which is a NT Cutter Mini. It's about 5" long.

I got a pack of 100 blades for $20, which is smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

I'm thinking testing steel might work better in a platform like this. Maybe make the blades a little thicker, say 2mm or so with a larger V saber grind or a flat V grind. Don't do the "break off" style blade. I don't know if you could do anything outside of a wharncliff blade style in this platform.

Pro's:
It would be easier to carry an extra steel with you.
You could choose your steel based on your anticipated tasks.
We would possibly save material on production (if producing these is possible).

Con's:
The platform will not be as strong.
It won't be able to really beat on the blades.
You won't get a really nice finished product. It is borderline "too cheap".
Due to variation, the parts might not work well together. Maybe the whole system has to be adjustable.

Please give me some input on why this would be a good idea or would be the worst idea ever. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Re: Is there a "more ideal" platform for testing steel?

Post by Donut »

Another con: This might not give very good results for "how would this steel perform on a normal knife?".
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Donut, Havalon does that with non snap off blades of varying thickness.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Donut, Havalon does that with non snap off blades of varying thickness.
Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

But, they are kind of funky looking. That and I'm not too familiar with those steel names. I would assume they are 420-ish.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was wondering before if the Mules really needed a full tang or not. It seems like they could b a partial tang and maybe that could bring the cost down. I like your thinking. They make knives for hunters with disposable blades. Sharpening is a fun hobby but when it is getting dark and you got dirty work to do you just want to keep cutting and sharpening isn't easy for most people. I carry more than one knife hunting myself. I love my Mules though so I am glad they are doing it the way they are and I like the full tang. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The problem with a universal test bed is that the "one size fits all" blade/handle ignores the needs of the steel... if steel A can be hardened to 66 Rc but rusts like crazy, it might be best suited as a woodworking tool blade, whereas steel B is incredibly corrosion resistant, but can't be hardened past 53 Rc and is still somewhat brittle at that hardness, this one might only perform acceptably in a thick bladed diver's knife... Both of these hypothetical blade steels would probably be lackluster performers in a snap blade knife or a scalpel blade holder like the ones pictured, even though they can excel in a blade that makes use of their strengths while avoiding their failings.

A *well engineered* blade that's optimized to make the most of a given steel with a specific heat treatment will tell much more about the ultimate performance potential of that steel.

P.S. that sort of setup *could* be really useful in controlled edge retention testing, just manipulate the final grind angle to optimize for a given steels characteristics (or even supply all steels in several angles?), but IMO it would still be of dubious use as a field testing platform
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, maybe my idea would not produce something that could be universally tested. It would limit the testing to certain types of use.

Probably Jim's testing would be eliminated or this design would be eliminated from his testing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be honest, the only test I'm interested in knowing the results of is one that I'm sure Spyderco performs already, the Q fog test. Unfortunately for me, they choose not to share those results. I'm still confident that Spyderco would not use any steel that didn't offer decent edge holding, but know that I can no longer safely assume a reasonable level of rust resistance.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I like this idea. Just a slim, thin blade to compare steels and different edge angles in light cutting tasks/low cut repetitions like cardboard, meat or leather. For every tougher cutting I prefer the existing platform.
The Mule Team is as ergonomic and versatile as a fixed blade can get. Perfect for hunting and most food prep cuts-I would have bought it if it were offerd in one steel (got most of the steels since MT 11, though).
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Mule Team is as ergonomic and versatile as a fixed blade can get.
I couldn't agree more. It does everything I need it to do except chopping which I do very rarely. It has great control, balance and perfect size for me. With good grips it's as pleasant on the hand as any other knife I've encountered.

We are really so very fortunate to have access to this programs knives.

I don't have any inside knowledge of heat treats but in a general sense I get the idea that they use pretty standard foundry recommendation heat treats for balances between the attributes rather than going for all our wear, or toughness for instance. That's probably the best idea and it gives an idea of what the steel can do in a real knife and not a one off max hardness test mule, for instance. They fit the broad range or our needs better than going for one corner of the heat treat/performance envelope while still maintaining Spyderco's performance orientation. They do have a customer base that likes performance universally but has different ideas about what is adequate corrosion or toughness for instance. They do the same with the production models IMO.In addition price gets mentioned in almost every thread so that shows how important that attribute is to us.

Joe