The knife for "Work" vs "Town" dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nasgul

Re: The knife for "Work" vs "Town" dilemma

Post by Nasgul »

It look it has been a worker !! The blade look shorter.
The edge look nice!

The G10 Dragonfly is 57 grs (FRN : 34grs)
Chaparral is 70 grs.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Glad you got the knife. These are very light and when that is needed it's great. But I also like a little "umph" feeling when I use a knife. I think it gives the misguided feeling of the knife being much stronger. But the LBK's Spyderco comes out with are definately not whimps. The G-10 D'fly will have steel liners which gives them more weight and a bit more strength. Having said that I've never had a folder with an FRN handle and no liners break or not handle the job. IMO, FRN is as good a knife handle material that exists. Lots of others I like as much or more but I don't like them more based on performance. I like pretty wood. That doesn't mean it's a better material for a knife handle. And the grip provided in Spyderco's FRN mold is amazing. If you haven't already, look at the pattern. The mold creates grip in both directions of pushing and pulling the handle both.

Good luck in your decision of which knife to get next.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I looked at your pictures again and noticed the Ladybug on top of the D'fly. I got a ladybug a few years ago after also considering the D'fly. I got the ladybug because it was less expensive and had about the same blade length. What I have found since then is the handle is just as important as the blade. Well, almost as important. Sometimes we need a small blade that has a full sized handle for control. The best example that everyone knows about is the standard utility knife used all the time for installing sheetrock. In fact I called it a sheetrock knife most of my life. A lot of people value the folding knife that has as much blade as possible for the handle size. While this is a valued feature it's not always as important as other features IMO. Ladybugs and Manbugs are great when you need very small knives. But, IMO the D'fly is a better EDC because of the larger handle which gives me more control.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Totally agree and that !
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D