Nirvan lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Nirvan lock

Post by endgame »

Does anyone no if there will be a stainless piece or will the lockface be carbidized?if not I forsee sticky lock and lockrock on the nirvana.if it does not have eather one it just came off my list.been threw this integral crappy lock with lionsteel tispine b4.why no 39 cent carbadizing makes no sence .to put on after is no good eather needs to be worked into original specs or to thick or not thick enough.as I said been threw it if you dont think that the ti on ti wont wear fast especially in the solid body you just wait.once lockrock starts its over.one piece of ti cant replace a lockbar or scale.400$ paperweight.
Cujobob

Re: Nirvan lock

Post by Cujobob »

Spyderco carburizes the locks. It's typically considered superior to carbidizing from what I've read. I have never had issues with extensive lock wear on any Spyderco framelocks.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm not worried.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I think it'll be fine, Spyderco knows what they're doing, it's a high end offering, I don't think they'd skimp on the lock face.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

endgame

Post by endgame »

I havent seen anything saying it has been carbadized.what other knives do they carbadize
endgame

Post by endgame »

I will definitely buy one if so .I no spyder o knows what its doing dubya but they do make mistakes.I have bought a couple.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I'm just saying I'd be shocked if they didn't treat the lock face somehow on a $400+ knife
Cory

endgame

Post by endgame »

I hope they do but I dont find any info .I have wanted this knife foe awile so im hopping it does.I wont drop 400$ without knowing
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If everything is designed and executed properly I don't see an issue. Sebenzas have been built this way forever.
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

I have a K2 that I got September of 2014 for my birthday that I have carried and used extensively for the past year. No lock movement, no lock stick, and no lock rock. Its probably the best execution of the framelock that I have ever owned. Or at least as good as the CRK made framelocks. Not sure if the lock face was carburized or carbidized but it was treated in some way. I say you should have no worries. Steel inserts defeat one of the main purposes of the titanium anyway, that is the slight gauling under load helps the lock to not slip like steel on steel lock ups can sometimes have.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have had zero issues with my Southard, and that thing has been flipped a zillion times.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

endgame wrote:I havent seen anything saying it has been carbadized.what other knives do they carbadize
Spyderco doesn't have any carbidized lock faces, but they do carborize quite a few of their framelocks. The Sage 2 ( I believe), Southard, Techno, and Slysz Bowie all have carborized lock faces.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
endgame

Post by endgame »

Ok if I see they do on the nirvana I will buy it
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I find it interesting the design features that people take an interest in, when there are dozens if not hundreds of other features, that no one ever talks about, which affect the performance of the system as much if not more.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

tvenuto wrote:I find it interesting the design features that people take an interest in, when there are dozens if not hundreds of other features, that no one ever talks about, which affect the performance of the system as much if not more.
This is actually very important as bare Ti will wear away making for a potential expensive paperweight. Spyderco wouldn't leave it bare, though.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Does anyone no for sure
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We have no plans at this time for a steel interface. We also do not carburize or carbidize.

What we do have though is lots of experience, data from extensive testing and several thousand knives (some with a steel interface and some without). We also have our practice of CQI (Constant Quality Improvement). Just as we do with every model (new and old), we'll be watching and listening to all of you.

I hope this helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Thanks for the clarification Kristi. I am surprised the face isn't treated but that kind of makes me wonder if all the talk of the lock face being way better with treatment or a steel insert isn't more Internet hype than anything.
Cory

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

$400 paperweight? That doesn't even make sense. It has a warranty. Send it in. A product is only as good as the company who backs it. They will make it right.

I have heard that some people like the Ti lock's "stick" because it adds a little more security.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
endgame

Post by endgame »

No sticky lock sux.this is disappointing.I guess I just saved 400$.this is a shame I wont beat this to the ground