Spyderco flops

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Spyderco flops

Post by spyderwolf »

We all tend to learn more from our mistakes then from our successes.So lets talk about the Spyderco failures,the knives that were abandoned,discontinued,or dindt sell well.
The Shabaria,Gunting and Captain came in my mind as some knives who were made just because they could do them.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
slick228

Re: Spyderco flops

Post by slick228 »

D2 Foliage Green Paramilitary 1 :confused:
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

The tough thing about this is that when they are discontinued and nothing else fits into their niche, they increase in value because they are different/special. (from what I have seen anyway)

But you are right, I don't think I would ever purchase any of those with the intent to use them.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderwolf wrote:We all tend to learn more from our mistakes then from our successes.So lets talk about the Spyderco failures,the knives that were abandoned,discontinued,or dindt sell well.
The Shabaria,Gunting and Captain came in my mind as some knives who were made just because they could do them.
I wouldn't call any of those "flops". Fact is, the average life of a Collaboration model is about 3 years. Only a handful out of the considerable number of them have lasted longer than that. About the only Spyderco I'd call a flop would be the T-Mag.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Deacon wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:We all tend to learn more from our mistakes then from our successes.So lets talk about the Spyderco failures,the knives that were abandoned,discontinued,or dindt sell well.
I wouldn't call any of those "flops". Fact is, the average life of a Collaboration model is about 3 years. Only a handful out of the considerable number of them have lasted longer than that. About the only Spyderco I'd call a flop would be the T-Mag.

Well said Deacon i could not do it any better.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For a company with so many successes they have to have a few failures. I would say the knives they had to recall would be "flops" such as the original Bushcraft thanks to the spalted maple scales cracking, the ZDP-189 mule being too fragile, and the Cat/Chicago with the original CF scales that were just not up to quality with what they intended.

As for knives that didn't sell well enough to keep around there are a number of them. There are also a few personal eyerollers for all of us (for me it's the Gunting). Again though, far more respectable tools than the opposite.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Cruwear Mule has been one of the biggest ones I've seen, but after the recall they seem to be good.

The S35VN controversy that was displayed not only from Spyderco, I don't know that I saw a resolution to that outside of no other people having the problem. That felt like a flop while it was going on.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
endgame

Post by endgame »

I love my captain.how about the sasla.feels so cheap and crappy
endgame

Post by endgame »

As for th d2 pm1 I and I bo allot of people love that blade and want that combo on a pm2
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Sage 4
Donut

Post by Donut »

endgame wrote:I love my captain.how about the sasla.feels so cheap and crappy
LOL. I believe there are a lot of people around here who love the Salsa. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

T-Mag was also the first to come to my mind upon seeing the thread title.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
endgame

Post by endgame »

I loved the look and compresion lock but the blade and construction felt super cheap I wanted tgem for collecting and that I thought they would be like a solid version of the "s" wich is the knife that got me into spyderco
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Equilibrium.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I don't know if I'd go so far to say "flops," but I know there have been several less-than-popular models that have come and gone over the years. Funny thing is, many of the so-called Spyderco "flops" of yesteryear are today's hot collectible "must-have" item that sells for $499 on e-Bay. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

spyderwolf wrote:The Shabaria,Gunting and Captain came in my mind as some knives who were made just because they could do them.
All were three to four years in production, so I think it's hard to call them a flop.
As the Deacon correct stated the T-Mag may be considered a failure as well as the Carbonfiber Cat and Chicago plus the Titanium Herbst due to massive quality issues.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two Spyderco fixed blades that just didn't do well at the box office>> one being the KUMO model and the other being the VAGABOND. Not sure why they both never gained any significant popularity but those are two fixed blades that you would have a very hard time finding because they never sold many of them to begin with from what I can remember.

There were also two folders that just didn't get much respect either>> The Stainless handled RESCUE is one of my all time favorites personally but I only know of three other Spyderheads who either own one or has in the past owned one. The Stainless handled RESCUE was truly a tank of a folder and is probably the most ridgid built Spyder I ever remember>> but for some strange reason it just never got anyone's attention on the sales charts. Another Spyderco folder that I thought was an excellent design but I don't know hardly anyone who owns one and that is the SPUR model which perplexes me because I thought it was a very nice design for a small folder and to me it had an iconic Spyderco look to it>> but for whatever reason it never got off the ground sales-wise.

Those are a few I thought that deserved more respect than what they got.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think there are certainly models that just don't sell well. Calling them a flop may be a bit harsh, but I also think not all models are expected to blow sales out of the water. The thing to remember is to be thankful that Spyderco are willing to take that chance and produce unique products, and not just crank out the same cookie cutter crap that some other brands seem content with.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Deacon wrote:

Exactly.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Poliwog wasn't a big hit but has since become very collectible. I know there are many in that category.