Spyderco ATR: WOW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco ATR: WOW!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I just noticed this knife: The Spyderco ATR. It is, unfortunately, discontinued. Does anyone here have experience with it, I'd like to read what your views on its use and carryability and overall-good and if any, downsides are to it.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donut

Re: Spyderco ATR: WOW!

Post by Donut »

Which one, the steel one or the titanium one? :p

I've seen a lot of comments that the clip isn't so great on it. I'm not sure I'd like the hood over the hole, either.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

There is a sprint in the works. I wonder how that's coming along...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The original Titanium version in my humble opinion truly belongs to a Hall Of Fame for older, discontinued Spyders. The original Titanium version was one of Spyderco's first folders made with S30V>> Oh how I would love a Titanium handled version with S90V or M390.

I'm really wanting to see many of these great models out of the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS 1998-2003 come back with newer/better blade steels and modifications to the handles as well. It still blows me away how much they improved the old C-60 Ayoob model by using a nice G-10 handle so I could only imagine how nice an ATR would be completely revamped.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Right now a Ti ATR is in my current EDC rotation. It really is a MBC folder IMHO but works very well for common cutting tasks. I would love to learn more about the Sprint. I also have been thinking of looking for a SE version.

I agree with JD, Hall of fame all the way.
Attachments
P1011501.jpg
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

Carried mine today. Lots of discussion on the clip, good thing is there is no way the knife will accidentally fall out of your pocket when clipped. I don't mind the cobra hood. The action on mine is silky smooth and the lockup is solid.

jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I have two, a titanium and stainless plain edge. Like rescueseven said, the action is silky smooth with zero play. They are not very ergonomic at all, but they are very interesting. I love the lock.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I have three, all serrated. IMO, the titanium version is the best. Just glad to have one.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

tuff looking knives!
Reject

Post by Reject »

I was lucky enough to find some too.

How much can a Koala bear?
endgame

Post by endgame »

The titanium spyderedge is the best the go for 500$ pluss right now.jays knives has one and its pricy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's Kristi's favorite knife, or at least was at one time. I've had one of the titanium ones for some time, but remain unimpressed. IMHO, it's a bulky collection of gimmicks. IIRC, Sal's original idea in designing it was to show it to Glock, in the hopes they'd agree to have it branded for and marketed by them. That didn't work out, so Spyderco marketed it themselves.

Altough Sal always credits the Hunter/Pro Grip as the parent of the Stretch, I strongly suspect it was heavily influenced by, and perhaps an attempt, conscious or otherwise, to correct all the faults of the ATR. Less aggressive looking blade shape, full flat grind, larger Spyderhole, no Cobra Hood, more compact and ergonomic handle, hand neutral lock, sturdier and less bulky clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Definitely not in my EDC rotation but they are cool (and expensive) as ****. I recently traded my black SE VG-10 model for a SE Ti (not shown here), which I thought was a great deal. Here's some recent pics of my others with some current favorite Ti Spydies. :)

Last pic shows the direct resemblance with the Jester, as the Deacon was alluding to its relatives/heritage :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I always found it extremely interesting if not just a bit amusing that the blade design on the Ti ATR was almost a replica of the blade on that very small Jester model :rolleyes: Maybe the Jester should be called the ATR Junior :D Albeit it s a really regal blade design and on the Titanium version I thought had an excellent grip factor.

I'm still interested to see a new Sprint of the ATR with one of the supersteels like M390, Cruwear or S90V. In some ways the Ti ATR was sort of ahead of it's time. Another super classic from the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Love mine (Ti, PE) i just don't carry it anymore, as it has sentimental value.
I also don't really need a knife that big, so my EDC is now a Roadie.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:There is a sprint in the works. I wonder how that's coming along...

I'm not a hundred % sure but i thought Sal mentiond at the spydercomeet that the new atr is a regular production not a sprintrun. :)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think it's a great knife that I still carry once in a while. I prefer titanium though:

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:There is a sprint in the works. I wonder how that's coming along...
For realz?!

And the Ti version is mega grail status for me and probably many others.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

apollo wrote:

I'm not a hundred % sure but i thought Sal mentiond at the spydercomeet that the new atr is a regular production not a sprintrun. :)
Really? Thats the first I've heard. That would be great news.

For those getting excited about titanium, I've heard that the new ATR will be made with G10, maybe with or maybe without the holes.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've a plain edge all-black all-steel variant.

It's very flat in the pocket and opens very slickly. The clip is a bit of challenge on some pockets, but good looking with it.

The choil and cobra-hood make for a very solid grip for heavy cutting- though the lack of scales and the narrowness of the edges of the all-steel build can dig into the hands after a while. The prominent heel-pommel means this isn't going to slip out of even the wettest paws.

The integral comp lock is solid and slick.

I love the holes- as they provide index points for switching grips and allow the blade to dry quicker.

Personally- I feel it's one of those 'essentials' that needs to be in any serious Spyderhead's collection ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/