Rescue Bug for Bikers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Rescue Bug for Bikers?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was being taught the means of emergency crash helmet removal, amongst other things, on a Bikers 1st aid/ response course last week, and it was clear that the various d ring and clasp mechanisms were giving problems to quite a number of people on the course.

(The advice we were given is that although there is a risk of exacerbating a spinal injury in removing a crash helmet from an unconscious rider, such injuries are only 1 : 100, whereas a blocked airway is 100% fatal in a matter of minutes, and better to risk a wheelchair than a box).

A Manbug/Ladybug sized rescue blade on my motorbike keys would be ideal.

My Manbug is far too pointy, for obvious reasons, and I know there are bigger rescue knives, but the chances are that you will have forgotten one of those the one time you need it, and it would be no good locked under my seat.

Would the Ladybug Hawkbill fully close properly if you reprofiled the tip to a safety end?

Or can anyone suggest an existing solution (that doesn't involve NOT riding a motorcycle!)

Chris
Evil D

Re: Rescue Bug for Bikers?

Post by Evil D »

Sal has mentioned that he would like to do a sheepsfoot version of the Manbug, but it has yet to happen. I would be all over one myself, especially if it were offered in H1, but I would also like to see a VG10/PE version.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ChrisinHove wrote:I was being taught the means of emergency crash helmet removal, amongst other things, on a Bikers 1st aid/ response course last week, and it was clear that the various d ring and clasp mechanisms were giving problems to quite a number of people on the course.

(The advice we were given is that although there is a risk of exacerbating a spinal injury in removing a crash helmet from an unconscious rider, such injuries are only 1 : 100, whereas a blocked airway is 100% fatal in a matter of minutes, and better to risk a wheelchair than a box).

A Manbug/Ladybug sized rescue blade on my motorbike keys would be ideal.

My Manbug is far too pointy, for obvious reasons, and I know there are bigger rescue knives, but the chances are that you will have forgotten one of those the one time you need it, and it would be no good locked under my seat.

Would the Ladybug Hawkbill fully close properly if you reprofiled the tip to a safety end?

Or can anyone suggest an existing solution (that doesn't involve NOT riding a motorcycle!)

Chris
Can't you just clip a rescue to your pants or in your jacket?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:Sal has mentioned that he would like to do a sheepsfoot version of the Manbug, but it has yet to happen. I would be all over one myself, especially if it were offered in H1, but I would also like to see a VG10/PE version.
That sounds so awesome. Wow :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I missed the question about the hawkbill...I think you could easily grind down 1/4 inch of the tip on a hawkbill Ladybug and end up with a very safe point and still have plenty of cutting edge for this use. I bet it would also cut a bit more aggressively than a straight sheepsfoot blade too since it would still have a slight hawkbill shape to it. That would be my solution in the meantime until we get a new sheepsfoot.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If I can remove the sharp tip, and still cover the new rounded tip in the handle when closed, that would be ideal.

Any issues in Dremelling H1?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I use a LBHB to cut wristbands off of my twin 7 year olds all the time. No need to blunt the tip IMHO. I would buy a rescue LB though.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yes there is the titanium mini police in full spyderedge.youwantit.com has them so does ebay.if you can find a humingbird that would be perfect.a cricket would work also.the mini mariner would be ideal but only bigfoot and the lockness monster have them.the mini police would be the perfect fit.its titanium so it wont rust has a full ats steel spyderedge and I think its the smallest locking knife spyderco makes.the cricket would be my second.the hummingbird or spyderkey would be just as good but I saw pne go for 300$ on ebay used.ouch.I would get the mini police I love mine its so cool and small.if you find a mini mariner it has the sheepsfoot blade fully serrated but I couldnt find one amywere.good luck
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:If I can remove the sharp tip, and still cover the new rounded tip in the handle when closed, that would be ideal.

Any issues in Dremelling H1?
I'm looking at mine now, and if you look at the serrations, if you only grind the point down to where the small serrations begin, those serrations are still covered inside the handle when closed so I think you'll be ok. As far as grinding H1, you should be fine since there's no heat treat to damage, but I would still take it very slow and keep the blade cool just for good measure. I think you could just bring down the slope of the point to about 1/16 of an inch before the small serration starts and you'd end up with a blunt enough tip that it wouldn't stab anyone, and you would lose a negligible amount of blade. You really should only need to remove 1/8 inch or so.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:I use a LBHB to cut wristbands off of my twin 7 year olds all the time. No need to blunt the tip IMHO. I would buy a rescue LB though.
I'd personally blunt the tip just to be safe. When you're dealing with an emergency situation, accidents can happen and I wouldn't want to be poking around a guy's neck trying to cut a helmet strap with anything that has a point. You could turn a rescue into a lawsuit very quickly, or worse. I don't think he would need to grind much off the point anyway to make it safe.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Would a SE Cricket or Roadie work?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Ladybug 2 was a rescue style Ladybug. I've seen pictures of that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I carried quite big knives when I rode motorcycles, an Al Mar SERE folder and a Spyderco Rescue. I did not want anything dangling/protruding from my motorcycle key.

An Assist is now EDC, though I have not ridden for about 20 years. (As a single dad, I felt the need to reduce risk; with my son now grown, I may start riding again.)
endgame

Post by endgame »

The made a sheepsfoot ladybug.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I ride dual purpose bikes so there is usually a top box or a tank bag mounted. In that there is always either a 79mm Rescue or an Atlantic Salt within easy reach. In an emergency, cold hands or gloves and the pressure that exists in an accident, I'd rather have a full size knife than fumble about with a knife that I don't have a full grip on. On the very rare occasions that the bike is naked, I'll have the Rescue in the breast pocket of my jacket next to my wallet. YMMV
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

We dance on a fine line in the UK with regards to locking knives.

AmericanEdge had a NOS Ladybug Sheepsfoot in stock! I'd never even heard of it before. Works out the same cost as the Hawkbill, without the need to modify, providing Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs don't spot it...

Thank's for all the comments and advice.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I regularly ride with a Native 5 LW SE in my waistband, I guess a UKPK SE with rounded tip would be just as comfortable?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I hate to say this but I think a set of trauma shears would be the best tool. That way you could focus on a bigger knife for other cutting tasks at the scene. An Assist and shear combo would be neat in a belt pouch or a pocket sheath.
Last edited by Dodge on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:We dance on a fine line in the UK with regards to locking knives.

AmericanEdge had a NOS Ladybug Sheepsfoot in stock! I'd never even heard of it before. Works out the same cost as the Hawkbill, without the need to modify, providing Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs don't spot it...

Thank's for all the comments and advice.
Was going to suggest the Boker CLB Rescom, but congrats on scoring a Ladybug II, they're not an easy find these days.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!