CS Exclusive Orange Paramilitary 2 DLC CTS-XHP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WCC

Re: CS Exclusive Orange Paramilitary 2 DLC CTS-XHP

Post by WCC »

I think the “pumpkin” PM2 exclusive is just gorgeous. But, I won’t carry it. IMHO the scales will dirty quite quickly, it is too bright for concealed carry and I really don’t need anything else besides S30V for my EDC requirements. Edge retention is fine with the S30V and the Sharpmaker keeps it sharp with a few easy strokes.
If I need tougher steel for hard work, I’ll just use a machete. :D

So why did I buy one…well, I just have to have all the PM knives, so this one will be a safe queen along with the rest of the PM1&2 models. For EDC, I still fall back to an extra NOT MINT IN BOX PM2 with camo scales and black DLC blade. ;)
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Well after a few days of fondling my Halloween Para around the house, I finally repositioned the clip and carried it at work today. Being used the the para2 platform there was nothing new there, but the smoothness in opening and closing really became apparent as the day went on (and likely was breaking in more and more). Mine doesn't free-fall closed but its about as close to it as you can get, which I am really liking. Still rocking the factory edge, but she is VERY sharp and was a joy using it to cut through thin plastics, one piece of wood and lots of cardboard! What really struck me was after using the knife pretty hard, the lock disengaged much easier than some of my other Para's. Not in a dangerous way, but just less of an effort to disengage. Needless to say, it did get a little dirty and losing its perfect vivid orange, but I like it just fine, shows your using it! I prefer the look of dirty orange over dirty gray any day. I am looking forward to seeing how CTS-XHP preforms and holds an edge as well as how it sharpens as this is my first blade in this steel. I really think CS and Spyderco hit this one out of the park. The look/color combo and the fit and finish are A1 on this one. Thanks Spyderco and CS!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Still available as of today (two weeks out), fwiw.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

And not really surprising. :) Glad yours got there OK. It's a very good looking knife, and the fit & finish on mine is really top drawer for a commercial production knife.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

JNewell wrote:Still available as of today (two weeks out), fwiw.
Very surprised by this, especially since the site was so jammed up when I was trying to get mine.

I've been carrying it exclusively since I got it on the 30th, and I freaking love it. I love the look, love XHP, and mine is functionally flawless. Super smooth, centered, and probably the sharpest out of the box to date. Yeah, the price was a little more than I hoped for, but that's life and I have no regrets about this one! And my PM2 collection grows...
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm not a PM2 collector by any means, but I love having the two I do: forest green/silver, and orange/black. I don't want to carry orange all the time, but when I do, nothings else will suffice. F&F is phenomenal on mine as well.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

tvenuto wrote:I'm not a PM2 collector by any means
Haha neither was I, but it's just sorta happening! I'm on 3 now, and the BHQ is gonna make it 4. I don't know where I lost my way.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
RichJo86

Post by RichJo86 »

I just had to add this one to my Spyderco collection. Wallet is empty (stupid import taxes) but what a gorgeous knife.
Very satisfied with how my international order was handled @cutlery shoppe. Free pen and lollipops as a nice bonus.

3 PM2's now :)
Para Military 2 Black blade
Para Military 2 Camo G-10 black blade
Para Military 2 Orange G-10 black blade CTS-XHP
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Been carrying this one for a week straight and all I can say is WOW! After a little breaking in time, my blade is now free falling and has achieved oh-so-smooth deployment. If you saw my "Sticky Spydie" thread a few weeks back, you may recall I had a 204P Para that you guys helped me to clean out the action and get it smoother than ever. However now when I pick up the 204p Para, it feels quite stiff compared to my new Halloween Para and even though it flies open like a rocket, its harder to close and the lock is stickier. Honestly this action rivals any knife Ive owned, including flippers costing 5x more. Spyderco's CQI is really getting it! I love the color combo, loving the steel so far (still on factory edge). One impressive task was scrapping West System Epoxy off of Copper, which if I wasn't so lazy I would have grabbed a utility blade, but it handled it very well doing a clean job and with no visible damage to the edge. The orange really hasn't been getting as dirty as I was anticipating, not as bad as some other lighter/bright colored G10's I've had experience with. I have however gotten my first scratch in the DLC, not sure how it happened, its on the spine and it really doesn't bother me but worth noting.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I got one - I found the action to be perfect. I have not decided if I want to add custom scales or not. There are plenty of options out there should I decide to do so. But I am starting to like the orange scales.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

CS posted earlier today on their Facebook page that they have about 60 left as two hours ago. Thats 60 out of 800.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I couldn't hold out any longer - I caved. Here's my new PM2 next to my well-used digi cam PM2 and orange Endura (the VG-10 version, not the burnt orange HAP-40).

Cheers,
Dan
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

PM2 is too big for here.
But this colour make me want one ! :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
WCC

Post by WCC »

Nasgul wrote:PM2 is too big for here.
But this colour make me want one ! :cool:
Do you have a blade restriction in France?
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I figured out what my scratches in the DLC were caused by today. Im in the middle of doing a TON of winterizations of house's for my job and I open anywhere from 50-100+ gallons of anti freeze a day. The tops of the jugs are sealed with a thin metallic seal, much like on a ketchup bottle and such. Its thin enough that if I push HARD with my thumb and can break the seal but sometimes I need to open 20 or more back to back and then I use a knife. When making a circle around the rim, the spine is touching the post cut seal and scratches it. Now this doesn't sway me one way or the other on my opinion of how much I'm enjoying using this knife (which is immensely!) but I am a little surprised that such a flimsy metallic seal would cause scratching like it has on the DLC. Ive also only had one other coated blade and I'm not sure if it was DLC or something else (very similar sized "grippy" knife from a rival company) so I don't have much to compare it to.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's possible that the DLC isn't scratched, rather the material has been left behind on the blade. Try removing it. Gun cleaner works well, but alcohol will too.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It's possible that the DLC isn't scratched, rather the material has been left behind on the blade. Try removing it. Gun cleaner works well, but alcohol will too.
This is my exact suspicion, I've had it happen, try clean the balde DLC is some really tough stuff.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Well don't I feel silly! Used some rubbing alcohol and a little elbow grease and the "scratches" came right off! Just another reason why I love this forum, thanks Liquid Cobra and Farnotherdan!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sweet! Glad I could help. That DLC stuff is amazing.

@liquid_cobra