Would you buy a G10 Centofante 3 or 4 sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes!
88%
No thanks.
12%

Total votes: 51

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sitting here in a cold induced stupor, so I figured why not lets have a vote on something that a lot of us have mentioned over the years but has never really gotten much traction.

One of my all time favorite knife designs (and that's saying a LOT) is the Centofante 3 and 4. I prefer the 4 just slightly because I really love wharnies, but truth be told the belly on the 3 is shallow enough that it's close to being a wharnie as it is. I've always felt that both of these knives have never gotten the respect and credit that they deserve, and for the life of me I can't understand why. They're super light, feel amazing in your hand, and are among the best slicer in the catalog due to their 2mm thick blade.

What I would love to see in a sprint is double nested liners, screw construction, and G10, with a ZDP blade (wouldn't mind Super Blue either!). I know that's asking for a lot, and the G10/screw construction alone would likely call for a completely new model design, so I would also be just as happy with a screw pivot and ZDP steel sprint and maybe a change to the BRG scale color that ZDP typically comes in, or better yet the pale blue color that the Stretch 2 came in.

In a perfect world, I would much rather see an updated Vesuvius, with an improved compression lock since there have been many years of improvement in that lock design since that model was discontinued, but I'll settle for a sprint Centofante if I must.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DutchBlades

Re: Would you buy a G10 Centofante 3 or 4 sprint?

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd definately pick one up if it were ever to be made!
Love my centofante and it gets quite some pocket-time :)
The Vesuvius would be a very welcome sprint aswel, gotta love a comp lock!

(Still hate myself for not getting a PE Vesuvius with the shell inlay when I had the chance to do so for €30...)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'm in for any Centofante 3 sprint. I'm with Evil on this - it is a great knife and in my very humble opinion a better option than a Delica 4 (of which I have multiples but seldom use)

I'm not a great fan of the 4 but I'd get a sprint of that if it was available.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Please!!!!!!!!!!

I would do a run of both the 3 and 4 in ZDP with brg scales and a gold bug. I would make 600 of each model and I would make sure that I got one of each.

Please!!!!!!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Eye candy!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
millwright

Post by millwright »

I would love both the 3 and 4 if they were able to be switched for left handed carry.
Alas they are not so I just have to be satisfied with other models.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd probably get one of each. I really wish they would redo the vesuvius though.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Definitely.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Love that wharnie
The white bug on the scale is awesome
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

endgame wrote:Love that wharnie
The white bug on the scale is awesome
It's actually palladium. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Id try get a 4
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote: One of my all time favorite knife designs (and that's saying a LOT) is the Centofante 3 and 4. I've always felt that both of these knives have never gotten the respect and credit that they deserve, and for the life of me I can't understand why. They're super light, feel amazing in your hand, and are among the best slicer in the catalog due to their 2mm thick blade.
Centofante 3 gets some recognition, but certainly not enough. IMHO this is the best Spyderco EDC in it's price range. Also it looks good. Actually for me personally this is the only FRN folder, which looks good.
Make it BRG FRN and solid ZDP-189 blade, I will be in for two.
And for now, I will continue to enjoy my Memory.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:
Evil D wrote: One of my all time favorite knife designs (and that's saying a LOT) is the Centofante 3 and 4. I've always felt that both of these knives have never gotten the respect and credit that they deserve, and for the life of me I can't understand why. They're super light, feel amazing in your hand, and are among the best slicer in the catalog due to their 2mm thick blade.
Centofante 3 gets some recognition, but certainly not enough. IMHO this is the best Spyderco EDC in it's price range. Also it looks good. Actually for me personally this is the only FRN folder, which looks good.
I could be wrong but I think at 2mm it would have to be solid, just like the Ladybug. That's just a guess though. I would also very much prefer a solid blade over the laminate version.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I think that we have much better chance of getting BRG FRN Zdp189 sprint, than G10 model, which will have to be production to pay for redesign (which will take years) and new tooling.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I really just wish they'd do the palladium bug more often. ****, I wish they'd put one of those on everything.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:I think that we have much better chance of getting BRG FRN Zdp189 sprint, than G10 model, which will have to be production to pay for redesign (which will take years) and new tooling.
Yeah Sal mentioned recently that some pinned knives are done in such a way that they need completely redesigned to make them screw construction. I'm ok with that, but I can dream. I'd be happy with BRG and ZDP. I wouldn't mind gray and Super Blue either.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Thanks Evil for once again bringing this up.

Last go round, I remember Sal being ok with it.

Lets... Go!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bh49 wrote:
Absolutely.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Voted YES...plus I'd be in for one o' each flavor...

Having said that-- I think part of the allure of the Cento. 3 & 4 is the lightness and while the G10 wouldn't add that much additionally, I'd still prefer FRN.

A burnt orange FRN sprint in HAP40 in Full Flat Grind with extra Palladium, hold the Hollow Grind please....

sorry :o .....

got carried away with my "order" & experienced a 70's Burger King flashback for a minute there.... ;)

Let's make it happen....10k posts or bust for the Cento 3 & 4 sprint :eek: :cool: :spyder: :cool: :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would also greatly prefer a flat grind, though this is one of the few hollow grinds I've had that I didn't mind.