Delica Appreciation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Delica Appreciation

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

There are other threads about the Delica but this is a general Delica discussion one. I really like the Delica, all models. Along with the Endura, it is an enduring and endearing knife series. As I have stated elsewhere, my favorite one is the Delica with the Emerson Wave Opener. What are your thoughts on the Delica, and its variations, and usefulness as an everyday carry knife and a tool and also an emergency or even, survival tool in such situations?

Also, how would you all reply to a person who says this about the Delica to me (their favorite type of "cool knife" being the 10 dollar cheapo "Combat Survival Bowie Knife" with "Surgical Steel Blade" and cheapo knuckleduster handle, according to them, because "That's what Rambo would carry."): "That's a "baby's knife". It only has a 3 inch blade and its not much different than sharpened stone, hahaha." ?

That's a low blow and ill informed opinion, as far as I'm concerned. The Delica is a perfect balance of smallness, largeness, cutting power, lightweight, and superb materials and design thought all combined in one. I love my Delica. What about you?
SG89

Re: Delica Appreciation

Post by SG89 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:There are other threads about the Delica but this is a general Delica discussion one. I really like the Delica, all models. Along with the Endura, it is an enduring and endearing knife series. As I have stated elsewhere, my favorite one is the Delica with the Emerson Wave Opener. What are your thoughts on the Delica, and its variations, and usefulness as an everyday carry knife and a tool and also an emergency or even, survival tool in such situations?

Also, how would you all reply to a person who says this about the Delica to me (their favorite type of "cool knife" being the 10 dollar cheapo "Combat Survival Bowie Knife" with "Surgical Steel Blade" and cheapo knuckleduster handle, according to them, because "That's what Rambo would carry."): "That's a "baby's knife". It only has a 3 inch blade and its not much different than sharpened stone, hahaha." ?

That's a low blow and ill informed opinion, as far as I'm concerned. The Delica is a perfect balance of smallness, largeness, cutting power, lightweight, and superb materials and design thought all combined in one. I love my Delica. What about you?
Don't say anything to them. Just bask in your own (and Spyderco's) superiority! :D You can't fix stupid. :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Another question: If you had a choice, to purchase a Delica or Endura, would you buy the Endura, for a few more dollars, since you are getting that much extra blade, or, are there specific reasons why you would get the Delica, perhaps because you want less blade length?

Another way of asking this: Is the Endura simply an "Expanded, Larger Delica" or are there enough differences between the two, to consider them two completely different types of knives?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There are differences. The Delica is better suited to real world EDC use and it fits my hand much better. The blade is much more all around useful and is a great hunting/skinning blade, as well. The Endura's blade is not as all around useful, being more like a boning knife in shape. The Endura handle, though it looks the same, is just enough wider/taller from the lock to the opening for the closed blade that it does not fit my large hand as well. That finger bump hits my middle finger dead center and is not as comfortable. I had to shave that down on mine. Now it is nice and it is a great food prep knife. If I were looking strictly for defense I would take the Endura, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Frankly, I would care less what others said or think about my Delica or anything else I own. That being said and keeping in the spirit of this thread, I'd just tell them that the Delica is was best suits my purposes for EDC.

I can't answer about the Endura, as it's been on my short-list of knives to purchase. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

If I had to write a 7 words essay on redundancy it would be : " Spyderco Delica is a great allaround folder ".Enough said.
SpydyLover1234

Post by SpydyLover1234 »

I have the Damascus and titanium delica, and it is the thinnest knife behind the edge that I own, there is no doubt that it is a great knife, but I personally prefer the endura, not do to the blade length, but do to the fact that the handle just feels better in my hand. Also to that friend you have, I would just say that our father's and grandfather's carried slip joints that had shorter blades than than the delica and they got along just fine.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

A delica was my first Spyderco some few years ago and we didn't always get along. My hand liked it but my eye had different ideas. I gave it away and soon bought another. We went on like that for years until my outlook softened. Now when I want another knife I compare it to the delica and ask what does it do better? The truth is, I really only need one pocket knife. Well, maybe two, one for work and one for SGTM, so then, two delicas would do. I learned to appreciate the form born of function and I remind myself what Benjamin Franklin said, "In the dark, all cats are gray."
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I realy love the Delica,in all steels,grinds or colors.To someone using arguments like ''what would Rambo carry?'',or ''the blade is too short'',i would say grow up,or get therapy to get over the insecurity related to your small penis.I think the Delica is as closest as you can get to a perfect edc knife.In real life you dont need a larger,stronger knife.You might like one,of course,and each should carry what makes him happy.Also,IMO,the Delica is not a shrunken Endura;they share the same DNA,but are diferent knives,for diferent purposes.For SD,or survival the Endura will be better suited,but in an emergency situation the best knife is the one you have on you and this will probably be the Delica,due to its size-very sheeple friendly-,and lightweight.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
APS

Post by APS »

Love the Delica and the blade length is fine for what I do. I do prefer the width of the Endura handle though mainly for heavy cuts with a hammer grip, the Delica is too skinny for that.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Big fan of the Delica. I carried one while in the Army, while working as an EMT, on Boy Scout trips, and just as an EDC. Never once felt I needed more knife and it did everything I asked of it. I also like the Endura, but the Delica just feels more comfortable in my hand. To me it is a perfect combination of size, weight ratio that makes it easy to carry & use.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I neglected to say that the Delica is my most carried and used pocket knife and I carry it without a clip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Another question: If you had a choice, to purchase a Delica or Endura, would you buy the Endura, for a few more dollars, since you are getting that much extra blade, or, are there specific reasons why you would get the Delica, perhaps because you want less blade length?

Another way of asking this: Is the Endura simply an "Expanded, Larger Delica" or are there enough differences between the two, to consider them two completely different types of knives?
1. It depends on what your needs are. Personally, I like the Endura a lot, perhaps even a nudge more than even the Delica. However, I can't carry either one on a daily basis due to silly a "weapon" policy at work.

2. There are differences if you examine both models carefully. Basically, the Endura is not simply a "stretched-out" Delica because of these differences. (Put another way, they very well could be half-siblings due to common traits shared by both).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

First day carrying a knife in my boot. (My new pair has a specific knife pocket?) I picked my faithful Delica because of its function and cost. I'd be scared to lose a more expensive knife, but I still want function...hence the Delica.

It's probably a novelty, but so far I like. Going to try a Dragonfly in the pocket tomorrow. I think it will fit deeper, but so far the Delica has held firm.

Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I want to see a ZDP waved delica
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Popsickle wrote:I want to see a ZDP waved delica
I love my waved Delica. Wouldn't mind a ZDP one too.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

vaisforlovers wrote:First day carrying a knife in my boot. (My new pair has a specific knife pocket?) I picked my faithful Delica because of its function and cost. I'd be scared to lose a more expensive knife, but I still want function...hence the Delica.

It's probably a novelty, but so far I like. Going to try a Dragonfly in the pocket tomorrow. I think it will fit deeper, but so far the Delica has held firm.

I love 5.11
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Usually I prefer the Endura to the Delica but carry both, sometimes at the same time. I favor the Endura because of its longer handle, which is more comfortable in my hand, not the longer blade. But ideally, I'd like a Delicura/Endelica, halfway between the two :)

And the Nishijin R is just that, plus it has a choil, which makes it even better. The R is my all-time favorite Japanese-made knife (Caly 3 & 3.5 are great too). I hope to sometime get a backup R and put thin G-10 scales on it--I like the thinness of the Nishijin. This would be a grail knife to me. I really like the Nishijin, I just think G-10 would be better for an all-purpose EDC knife. Here are some comparison shots:

I also like that the R was apparently more scaled up from the Delica than down from the Endura (--> broader blade).

I bought a few Golden-made G-10 knives before trying anything in FRN, but got the Super Blue Endura when it came out and really liked it, then soon got the brown Delica as a smaller, more people-friendly knife and the foliage green FRN saber-ground CE Delica as a more classic spydie for utility work around the house. I finally tried the super thin Ti-Damascus Delica and it quickly became my favorite Delica until last month when I was lucky enough to score both a foliage green G-10 Endura and a FG G-10 Delica. I really love these last two and have carried one or both of them almost every day for the last three weeks or so. They're thinner than Manixes and PM2's, but plenty hefty and strong, with their skeletonized full liners and G-10. They're destined to be some of my all-time favorite knives.

We need more Enduras and Delicas in G-10! These are great knives -- I'll try to get some pics of them later.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Not only is the Delica suitable for every day real world applications... I used my ZDP-189 to field dress a Mule Deer while friend went to retrieve his ATV to haul it out and some small game so far; it's still razor sharp :)
SpyderEdgeForever

toxophilus wrote:Not only is the Delica suitable for every day real world applications... I used my ZDP-189 to field dress a Mule Deer while friend went to retrieve his ATV to haul it out and some small game so far; it's still razor sharp :)
Thank you for posting that, that is an excellent proof that the Delica is a superb hunting and everyday carry knife :)