Favorite "old" spyderco steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Favorite "Old Timey" steel?

AUS-10
No votes
AUS-8
6%
AUS-6
4%
Gin-1
15%
CPM 440v
27%
154CM
17%
ATS-55
19%
MBS-26
8%
52100 (As used in the first Mule project)
4%

Total votes: 48

Knivesinedc

Favorite "old" spyderco steels?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Been browsing some of Spyderco's older models and have been noticing some different steels that are not on current models. Go ahead and vote for your favorite and explain why if you wish. Let me know if I left an important one out. -Jake-
SpyderNut

Re: Favorite "old" spyderco steels?

Post by SpyderNut »

Good thread, Jake. One of my favorites from "back then" was CPM-440V. Great all-around steel, IMHO.
I also liked ATS-34 and ATS-55 pretty well. I had trouble with AUS-8 and rust, so I didn't care too much for it as an EDC steel. GIN 1 and GIN 2 were essentially the same thing, IIRC, but was decent for what I was using it for.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I sharpened a serrated endura for a friend a few weeks ago. The knife was an oldie in aus-6. It had gone years without sharpening and I figured it would take ages but I had that thing treetopping hair in about 3 minutes on the sharpmaker. I kind of like some of those older and easier to maintain steels...especially in serrated knives.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I still like ATS-34 and CPM 440V. I wasn't aware that Spyderco had ever used 154CM. GIN-1 and G-2 were two names for the same steel, and I like it for a general purpose steel, but in my job I prefer the extra wear resistance of the high vanadium steels.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To me, "liking" a steel equates to using it, so I went with AUS-6, because a micarta Jester has been my companion for twelve years, and MBS-26 because one or more of my Kitchen Sharps get used every day, and some days at every meal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:I still like ATS-34 and CPM 440V. I wasn't aware that Spyderco had ever used 154CM. GIN-1 and G-2 were two names for the same steel, and I like it for a general purpose steel, but in my job I prefer the extra wear resistance of the high vanadium steels.
I believe there was a Manix 2 run in 154CM, IIRC. I can't think of any others ATM...

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SpyderNut wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:I still like ATS-34 and CPM 440V. I wasn't aware that Spyderco had ever used 154CM. GIN-1 and G-2 were two names for the same steel, and I like it for a general purpose steel, but in my job I prefer the extra wear resistance of the high vanadium steels.
I believe there was a Manix 2 run in 154CM, IIRC. I can't think of any others ATM...
That would explain it. I pay even less attention to the Manix 2 than I do the Para2.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My old Endura 3 in ATS-55 never let me down.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

I had to vote for the Gin-1, because some of the early Spydies that I enjoy to this day had it- Renegade, Worker, etc.

It is an easy to sharpen, tough use steel, that has a certain glowing patina when cleaned up and shined with good old Flitz!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for ATS-55 simply because some of my very favorite old Spyderco models came with ATS-55 for blade steel. However it's not easy for me to pick just one of them because there are 3 to 4 of those older blade steels that I really like for Spyderedged blades. I've found that 440V to be a beast for Spyderedges as well as ATS-55 and AUS-8.

There are so many of the old school Spyders that had most of those blade steels you listed. I've also found ATS-55 to be a pretty decent plain edged steel as well. It's not often that I EDC my old original C-44 Dyad but I do like it just about better than any other Spyder I own for EDC.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Aye Tee Uss Fiddy-foive (as they say round my neck of the woods)...So many classic models in that lovely steel.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

I'll go with 440V.
Mainly because its the only Spyderco(an older Starmate) I have with one of the mentioned steels other than Gen1.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Got a better response to this than I thought I would. Good stuff guys!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
That would explain it. I pay even less attention to the Manix 2 than I do the Para2.
Lol, I hear you. :) I am kind of surprised that ATS-55 is in the lead at the moment. Seems like it was kind of an underdog back then.

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Ats55,ats34,154cm, are all great steels I still use.

A little fyi

I had a small fly in 154cm.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I went with 154CM it's a great all rounder for me. Polishes up nice if that's what I'm going for and takes a good coarse edge too. Rust resistance is good as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:Ats55,ats34,154cm, are all great steels I still use.
Years ago I had Spyders I used a lot with ATS-34 blade steel>> but when ATS-55 came out and I got my first C-44 Dyad and ATS-55 Police model I was sold and I did notice a significant improvement using ATS-55 over ATS-34. And I still use three of my ATS-55 Spyders at least once or twice a month at least. I know that VG-10 was brought in to replace ATS-55 because according to Spyderco themselves they tested VG-10 and found it superior>> albeit when I work with the two aforementioned blade steels I can't tell a huge difference. And this is coming from a devout VG-10 fan too.

Now I still rank ATS-34 as a decent steel for Spyderedges>> however I really like ATS-55 and 440V for Spyderedges.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JD Spydo wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:Ats55,ats34,154cm, are all great steels I still use.
Years ago I had Spyders I used a lot with ATS-34 blade steel>> but when ATS-55 came out and I got my first C-44 Dyad and ATS-55 Police model I was sold and I did notice a significant improvement using ATS-55 over ATS-34. And I still use three of my ATS-55 Spyders at least once or twice a month at least. I know that VG-10 was brought in to replace ATS-55 because according to Spyderco themselves they tested VG-10 and found it superior>> albeit when I work with the two aforementioned blade steels I can't tell a huge difference. And this is coming from a devout VG-10 fan too.

Now I still rank ATS-34 as a decent steel for Spyderedges>> however I really like ATS-55 and 440V for Spyderedges.

The ats34 c52 serrated centofante was my favorite spyder back in the day. I know I'm a little jadded because of it.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Its not on your list, but I like 440C.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

D-Roc wrote:Its not on your list, but I like 440C.
It's not on my list mainly because Spyderco still uses it :p
It looks like 440v, ATS-55 and 154cm are the top voted steels as of now. I guess I need to experience them fully to comprehend why they hold such high marks :D