MT21P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 4V

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT21P will be available for sale on Thursday, 08-Oct-2015 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You will find it under model # MT21.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $69.95 each

Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00

International Orders:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at [email]sfo@spyderco.com[/email] or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $45
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $60

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About CPM 4V:
Spyderco’s twenty-first Mule Team installment showcases Crucible® CPM® 4V® blade steel—a powder metallurgy tool steel that offers high impact toughness and very good wear resistance. Developed for demanding industrial applications where a combination of strength, wear resistance and toughness is required, CPM 4V has significantly more carbon, vanadium, and molybdenum than CPM 3V. The result is a steel that is capable of a higher attainable hardness and even greater abrasion resistance than CPM 3V and significantly better toughness and wear resistance than D2. Despite these advanced performance qualities, CPM 4V has only 5% chromium--below the threshold of stainless steel--and therefore must be properly maintained to protect it from corrosion.

Like conventional steels, particle metallurgy steels begin with a homogenous bath of molten high-alloy steel. However, instead of being poured into ingot molds, the molten steel is forced through a nozzle under high pressure to create a spray of small spherical droplets that quickly solidify into powder particles. The small size of the particles forms micro-ingots, drastically reducing the alloy segregation in the steel and ensuring an extremely fine, uniform carbide structure. This enhances the steel’s edge retention, as well as its grinding and polishing characteristics.

CPM 4V's exact alloy composition is as follows: Carbon: 1.35%, Manganese: 0.40%, Silicon: 0.80%, Chromium: 5.0%, Molybdenum: 2.95%, Vanadium: 3.85%.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SpyderNut

Re: MT21P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 4V

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice! That should be a really fun steel to play with. :D Thanks, Kristi.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Awesome, Thanks Kristi, Sal and the rest at Spyderco! This looks like a fun one. Wondering however, any news on the Micro-Melt Maxamet Mule?
adam569

Post by adam569 »

Cant wait love my mt19
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Well, I suppose I better get one as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

4V is an interesting steel from what I have seen out of it so far. :)

I think most will like it.

It's NOT stainless though so people will need to really pay attention to properly taking care of rust prevention.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

guess i'll pick one up too
nccole

Post by nccole »

Ankerson wrote:4V is an interesting steel from what I have seen out of it so far. :)

It's NOT stainless though so people will need to really pay attention to properly taking care of rust prevention.
We talking more like CRUWEAR, M4, or Super Blue in terms resistance and type of staining?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think this will be my first mule! Thanks Kristi!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nccole wrote:
Ankerson wrote:4V is an interesting steel from what I have seen out of it so far. :)

We talking more like CRUWEAR, M4, or Super Blue in terms resistance and type of staining?

More like Super Blue.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ankerson wrote:
nccole wrote:

More like Super Blue.
Wow, I didn't know it was that susceptible to corrosion. I'd be interested to try this one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
nccole wrote:

More like Super Blue.
Wow, I didn't know it was that susceptible to corrosion. I'd be interested to try this one.
Depends on the HT, but from what I saw it gets dark pretty quick.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'll picking this one up for sure, I really like a good patina.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This will probably be my first mule. Yay for us all!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I'm in.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Sounds like a real interesting steel, will love to try this.
Niles

Post by Niles »

**** yeah! This is my type of steel!
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

This is DEFINATELY on my list
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Do we know to what hardness this steel will be heat treated?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

farnorthdan wrote:I'll picking this one up for sure, I really like a good patina.
This.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.