Favorite small Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Favorite small Spyderco

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would say the Chaparral is the best small folder but you said that you need to be able to use it with gloves on. For this reason I would say that many of tr suggestions may be too small. A delica makes a great companion blade in my experience and you may find it easier to use with gloves on than many if the other suggestions. The LW Native is also a great companion blade but I find that it is not the easiest knife to open with gloves on.

My favorite small knives are the Cricket, Ladybug Hawkbill, Balance and Chaparral. None of them are easy to open with gloves on though. The Delica is one of my favorite knives and with a well exposed hole it is easy to open in most situations including while wearing leather gloves. I carry a Delica and a Para2 together at work all the time and I have to wear gloves a lot too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

When it comes to small knives,the DF is hard to beat.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You might find the 440c in the Cat/Chicago blades need sharpening a little too often for work use.
My g10/vg10 Dragonfly is great - but I'm not so sure about it for gloved use, so I would second the Delica recommendation.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Smaller knives aka little big knives is a Spyderco specialty :)

There is no wrong answer due to preferences but my favorites are the Techno, Bradley Air, DFly, and Chaparral series.

I don't a Cat anymore but that was a good one. If we count the Delica as a small knife well sheesh, I've been on a Delica kick this past year so that'd be my number one by far.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Birdman21 wrote:Hey guys, new member, longtime Spydie owner. Was just curious what your favorite small EDC knife was. I'm in the market for something a little smaller than what I currently carry, and am leaning towards a dragonfly but would like some more input Thx!
My favorite LBK (Little Big Knives) would be the following (in no particular order):
1. Techno
2. Ladybug
3. Manbug
4. Dragonfly
5. Leafstorm
6. Michael Walker (C22)
7. Bradley Air
8. Tusk
9. Balance
10. Lava

FWIW, I carry a Dragonfly2 Salt nearly every day and find it perfectly suitable as an EDC for most office-related cutting chores. Hope this helps!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

spyderwolf wrote:When it comes to small knives,the DF is hard to beat.
^^ this ^^

Realized I passed up the chance to list my favorite small Spydercos, so:

Kiwi
Kopa
D-Fly
Jester
Manbug
Ladybug
Ladyhawk
Cricket
GB Air

:)
adam569

Post by adam569 »

Dragonfly, manbug,and my wife loves her tattoo cricket and pink squeak. I would love a super blue dragonfly to match my sb manbug.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
nccole

Post by nccole »

Joris Mo wrote:Urban
(Dragonfly is real nice as well but after holding the Urban I love it)
Yes and add the Squeak if you want smaller. The ergos are better IMO, and you don't need a lock on a knife that small.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I love my Techno and it was my favorite small knife. That is until I got the Kiwi 4. The slim design and deep pocket clip are great you hardly can tell you are carrying it, and the blade is long enough to slice my fruit at lunch!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Depends on what you want out of the knife really. But if you're already leaning towards a DF, I'd say you should look at the ZDP189. I have one and love it!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

spyderg wrote:Depends on what you want out of the knife really. But if you're already leaning towards a DF, I'd say you should look at the ZDP189. I have one and love it!
+1
DragonFly in ZDP189
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

Thanks for all the input guys!! I gotta say, I think I'm still leaning towards the DF, but now I might be leaning towards the Kiwi 4 as well. How would these two hold up as a hard use knife? By hard use I don't mean abuse like prying and baronial and such, but I work in heavy industrial construction and need my knives to do a lot more than open plastic clamshell cases lol!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Birdman21 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys!! I gotta say, I think I'm still leaning towards the DF, but now I might be leaning towards the Kiwi 4 as well. How would these two hold up as a hard use knife? By hard use I don't mean abuse like prying and baronial and such, but I work in heavy industrial construction and need my knives to do a lot more than open plastic clamshell cases lol!
I would say the Dragonfly2 might be just a bit better at heavier cutting chores, given its relatively short, wide blade. Also, the leafy style blade of the D'Fly might be more useful for various cutting chores vs. the Wharnie style blade in the Kiwi.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Just buy two Dragonfly 2s, one as a backup when you lose the first one and can't wait for a replacement.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
paladin

Post by paladin »

Manbug, as much cutting edge as the Dragonfly...but smaller...

Sal EDC's one...just sayin' ;) :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jester
Kopa
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My small EDC knife is a Para2. The smallest Spyderco I like is a dragonfly. It is too small for my EDC but I sometimes carry it as a second knife.

(Literally the smallest knife of my EDC rotation is a PM2.)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Birdman21 wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:I like the Dragonfly, but the Chaparral always fit my hand better and I liked it better. I just recently picked up a Cat and I like the ergonomics better than the DFly on it too. I also much prefer the Techno...probably my favourite of the smaller "Full size" knives (I consider a knife to be full sized if I can get all 4 fingers on it). I like the Techno best, but it's a little on the thick side 4.5 mm stock compared to 2.5 mm on the DFly (I believe the Cat is about the same), and 2 mm on the Chaparral which makes it the sliciest option for sure. If sliciness is the main concern go with the Chaparral...if you do the occasional bit of light prying (No heavy prying should ever be done with a folder...fixed blade or a better tool for prying are much recommended) you might want to look more closely into the Techno.
thx for the suggestions! If your a rigger, you'll understand my dilemma. I'm a union millwright, and we do a lot of rigging, so I actually use my serrated Salt for a lot of stuff, but the serrations just don't lend themselves to everything. So if I have to carry a second knife, I need it to be small, but with the feel of a big knife cuz we're required to wear leather gloves. Thx!
I am indeed a Rigger. Mostly cell phone and communications towers. If it's not too big for you to carry I'd look into a Delica if you want to use a knife with gloves on. My absolute favourite knife to use with gloves on is my Military. Superb ergonomics and the lock is extremely easy to modulate. My most common work pairings are my CruWear Military, and a SE Tasman Salt to accompany it.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
endgame

Post by endgame »

After posting here I pulled out my meerkat reverse s spyderedge and had to find and buy another.best boxcutter and I love rhe inovative opening design we need more meerkats.a little larger call it the wolverine.not a real lock back so its legal almost everywere
hom76

Post by hom76 »

My 2 favorite small Spydie - Air and DF2