Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: Delica 5

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Delica 4 as it is. Of course, a sturdier lock is always a good thing. But I wouldn't change anything about its outer design. I even like the clip position.
:bug-red-white
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

gbelleh wrote:I like the Delica 4 as it is. Of course, a sturdier lock is always a good thing. But I wouldn't change anything about its outer design. I even like the clip position.
I'm with gbelleh here. Although I really do like the wire clip on other designs, the draw on the Delica is perfect due to where the clip contacts the smooth escutcheon on the handle. I carry mine IWB, and I think a wire clip would make me less confident in doing that.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Nothing but a FFG SE option would make me buy a Delica. I mean it's a fine knife, but so many other options.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would like one with thinner stock myself.

1.8mm sounds good to me :D
I prefer thinner but I wouldnt mind one with a thicker stock if that makes sense.

Put it another way, I'd regrind most of them and have a few with thicker stock.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I agree that the Delica is quite perfect as is.

I actually grind the tip hump to resemble the Para2 on my users. More like the classic Delicas.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Go back to the original pointy splinter picker tip that the D3's had. Wire clip would be nice too.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jeffmcmullen9807

Post by Jeffmcmullen9807 »

OP
How many D4s do you own? The 10 plus D4s I have are happy the way they are. All my D3s are cool as well. A lot of these needs can be resolved with loads of options in the current line up. Just get one of those and rename it Delica.

Jeff
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'd like a revival of the original 'straight back to the point' blade shape. Because I'm a Luddite. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
adam569

Post by adam569 »

I use my d4 every day I work it is my do everything work knife.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would like one with thinner stock myself.

1.8mm sounds good to me :D

Well the thing is, one can always make thicker stock thinner but there is no way to add stock to the existing FFG
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

My perfect Delica would be pretty much a combination of the Delica 1(or I guess the 3 too) with the Delica 4. I would love a pointy tip Delica without any liners, a FFG blade, either G-10 or FRN, with a wire clip. That would be my perfect EDC knife.

Matt
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If you toss out the pairs of replies that contradict one another, it looks like the D4 is pretty much the perfectly balanced compromise the way it is now.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I dunno... I'd like to see a choil like the Byrd Meadowlark, plus a deep carry wire clip. Keep the full flat grind, too.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Bill1170 wrote:If you toss out the pairs of replies that contradict one another, it looks like the D4 is pretty much the perfectly balanced compromise the way it is now.
True!...

I pick up a Delica and go "Huh. That's perfect".
Then I pick up the next version and go "Aha- No- THIS one is perfect"
Thus I would expect the D5 to be even more perfect than that ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
PcT

Post by PcT »

Gotta agree with Quick Draw. I carry a Delica mainly as an office/gentlemans blade. A version in good ol' micarta would suit me fine.
Yes to more FRN colour choice
Yes to a CF version
Yes to coloured G10
Yes to a deep carry option - after market clips Sal??!!
No to the choil. It wouldn't be a Delica anymore would it...
Yes to a lock variation (Delica with a compression lock in deep blue G10....mmmmmm)
FDE

Post by FDE »

So it can change locks and still be a Delica but not if it were made to have a choil??? :rolleyes:
I don't see why Spyderco couldn't produce a Delica-like knife with a choil and ALSO produce the Delica without it. I sure nobody cares if the Delica with finger choil is actually called a Delica! I would bet that both versions would out sell some of the wild designs that get produced.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would say leave the Delica as is. It is delicate but tough and beautiful. However, I DO like the idea of more FRN handle color choices. Please no choil.

Love that VG10 steel.

My favorite is the Emerson Wave Delica.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

FDE wrote:So it can change locks and still be a Delica but not if it were made to have a choil??? :rolleyes:
I don't see why Spyderco couldn't produce a Delica-like knife with a choil and ALSO produce the Delica without it. I sure nobody cares if the Delica with finger choil is actually called a Delica! I would bet that both versions would out sell some of the wild designs that get produced.
I agree with the mild hypocrisy you brought up, what's up with that.

A few years ago, a Bladeforums thread had this very same topic active with the same recycled comments (its a cycle) found here and I suggested the two version thing and Sal replied saying that only one will be made. So from that, no choil/Choiled running concurrently, maybe he'll change his mind I just suggested it again a couple days ago lol. Cost of molds is prohibitive and running two makes it two different designs to put out. As Spyderco's best seller, if there was a model that can be very profitable with two handle/blade versions, you would think it would be the Delica.
Mikev88

Post by Mikev88 »

I would love to see a deep carry pocket clip, however Spyderco has said that they don't feel the need to make deep carry clips as there are so many in the after market.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

G10
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red