work knife suggestions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

work knife suggestions.

Post by JAfromMN »

Well I lost my manix 2 lwt at work today and I'm I'm need of a replacement.

I'm normally a serrated endure user and I got the manix to see how I'd like it. It was a good knife but I prefer my endura they have been good workers. . More so because it's the knife I'm used . It feels right. But a serrated knife is the wrong tool for some jobs.

So I'm stuck.

Should I get a combo edge endura, a combo manix,native 5 or get a harpy because I've wanted one for a long time and never tried one.

Decisions decisions.

I'm stumped
What do you all think.
JAfromMN

Re: work knife suggestions.

Post by JAfromMN »

Ps

I can't be without my knife for long.

I'll order a new one tomorrow evening.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Military?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I wouldn't get a native for a work knife, unless a work knife is casual use (because you are forced to sort of choke up on the knife and use the choil).

Plenty of good work knife options though. What sort of uses would the knife be for? Opened and closed a lot or would it be used for extended periods? Corrosion resistance important?
swigert

Post by swigert »

would a delica be enough blade? combo delica?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

MattM68 wrote:Military?

Military is to big.

4 inches is the limit in Minnesota.

It would be awesome though.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

swigert wrote:would a delica be enough blade? combo delica?

I got use and like my delica but it is a little small for work.

I carry a zdp combo delica I like off work often. Its my around home work knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Not CE but one heck of a work knife......Bradley folder
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Cujobob wrote:I wouldn't get a native for a work knife, unless a work knife is casual use (because you are forced to sort of choke up on the knife and use the choil).Plenty of good work knife options though. What sort of uses would the knife be for? Opened and closed a lot or would it be used for extended periods? Corrosion resistance important?
Well I'm kinda a Jack of all trades so it's going to get a lot of different uses from cutting down boxes to cutting the occasional hole in drywall and Lots of yard work, cutting plastic sheeting pipe,hose rope,etc etc it will get used a lot some days and not others.

Corrosion resistance is a factor but edge holding is more important.

Comfort is a factor , so are looks and carry.

I won't carry a knife I don't like the looks of or that isn't comfortable to carry. The more low profile carry the better.

Black ppt?
palonej

Post by palonej »

I'm in HVAC and my work knife is a CE Endura with black handles.
Cuts like a beast and touches up very quickly!!
Excellent work knife!

Joe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The CE Endura sounds perfect for your needs, but if you would like to "spice things up," the SE Harpy would be a good model to try for your line of work. I once EDC'd a SE SS Harpy for a year or more and was really quite impressed at how how nicely it worked during my days working construction. Try it and see. It's a very nice model to carry too, IMHO.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

another vote for a Gayle Bradley folder if a bit of knife maintenance/upkeep is not a problem....
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I do like the Bradley but it looks kinda easy to slip up on the blade.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

SpyderNut wrote:The CE Endura sounds perfect for your needs, but if you would like to "spice things up," the SE Harpy would be a good model to try for your line of work. I once EDC'd a SE SS Harpy for a year or more and was really quite impressed at how how nicely it worked during my days working construction. Try it and see. It's a very nice model to carry too, IMHO.

Thanks for the good words about the harpy.

Combo endura or harpy combo endura or harpy. Hmmmmmmm

Spicing things up sounds fun :cool:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've never had my hand slip up on my Bradley, fits my hand like a glove and very grippy. If you have a local dealer maybe try one on for size.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I say get another LW Manix, this one in S110V. And I believe the millie is legal in our state (mn), isn't it exactly 4" blade?
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Either way I don't think you have to worry about a over 4" blade in your area lol, I work in the city and near cops all the time and have never been questioned about my blade but I have asked about theirs! I saw one Minneapolis cop with an endura.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Dyad???
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

:cool: military :cool:
dubya3 wrote:Either way I don't think you have to worry about a over 4" blade in your area lol, I work in the city and near cops all the time and have never been questioned about my blade but I have asked about theirs! I saw one Minneapolis cop with an endura.

I was wrong about the military. It's 4 inches. I thought it was 4 and 1/4. Police is 4.25

A combo military would be awesome.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

No combo Military .

Bummer.