What do you think of the S110V PM2 color?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you think of the S110V PM2 color?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:27 pm

The color is great!
34%
The color is ok, but I would have preferred something different.
23%
The color is bad.
7%
I don't see this translucency everyone is talking about.
2%
I see the translucency but I don't mind it.
12%
I see the translucency and I dislike it.
9%
Get over the color and use your knife to cut something already!
13%

Total votes: 91

GoldenSpydie

Re: What do you think of the S110V PM2 color?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, I'm sorry for causing dismay by starting a poll about a color. From what I've seen, Sal's pretty cool, and I doubt that he will lose sleep over a few forumites discussing the color of a piece of G10...but either way, my bad, and I do apologize to everyone. :(
VashHash wrote:They could have made it canary yellow
A yellow PM2 would actually be a nice addition, IMHO. Maybe in LC200N to keep with the yellow=salt theme?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Well, I'm sorry for causing dismay by starting a poll about a color. From what I've seen, Sal's pretty cool, and I doubt that he will lose sleep over a few forumites discussing the color of a piece of G10...but either way, my bad, and I do apologize to everyone. :(
Why are you apologizing? This is a knife forum and we are discussing knives.

I love the color Sal chose, but of course, it is one of my favorite colors anyway. I also like the translucence. A royal blue translucent is unique.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
palonej

Post by palonej »

No need to apologize Spydie!!
I was surprised to see people looking to cancel their order after Sal listened and gave us what we asked for.....I saw that as whining.
Especially taking into account that Sal is the ONLY one that does this....listens to his customers.
I highly doubt the heads of other knife companies do anything like this.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm gonna reserve judgement until I actually have one in hand. For now I just hope everyone stops calling this knife "burple", it makes the knife sound like something that happens after a night eating curry and drinking beer, lol.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
palonej

Post by palonej »

LMBO!!!!!
Excellent description Jon!!!!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sorry Eli :o

I'm probably the one most guilty of creating a fuss about the scales. This situation is what it is: I now have what I really wanted, a S110V PM2. Now the color is not what anyone would have exactly expected when we were asking for dark blue G10. First of all, it's not "dark blue" (I have my fire extinguisher ready, so flame on). If you still say it is, more power to you. It definitely has some dark blue in it, but it's not the exclusive color of it (there's no question purple's in there too). I simply wanted the same dark blue G10 other makers have used and seem to able to acquire. Why Sal had to resort to this special order is frankly beyond me. I could take or leave the translucency...

Some folks will like it, others will not (I strongly do not). There are a number of options to deal with the scales, including up to not buying the knife at all. That would be a shame though! I'm not one ever to complain about the amount of variety Spyderco has, in fact that is why I love them (and my wallet is usually empty!). Sal did us a solid delivering this PM2 (and its standard production no less, cue the smelling salts!), I guess it's up to me to get a set of dark blue PM2 scales if I still really want some. I was just hoping the stock ones would have been what I (for one at least) was expecting when they said "dark blue G10". There are some nice examples of this standard G10 color by doing a Google search. That's it, it's really not a big deal and my Lynch scales are way better anyway!

Cheers all, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

For me the color isn't all bad since I like the idea of variation and really appreciate a company listening to their customers.
Compared to the dark blue on the S110V Manix2 which was a reason to finally buy a Manix this color is quite disappointing to me and may well be a reason to not buy this PM2 but the fact that there is a PM2 in M4 with my favorite G10, natural, coming up also helps.. ;)
I consider it a dark smurf blue making it a bit better than smurf blue and if this would've been 3V,4V, Cruwear or M4 I would've been very happy to have one (or more).
Lebowski22

Post by Lebowski22 »

Love it, I've long been a fan of all things purple and this color is like a purple royal blue hybrid.

Looks great in the sun, decent indoors but under natural lighting is where these scales really become something unique.

The g10 seems more grippy also. Maybe it's just me. Overall very pleased. Thanks Sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted for the last option. :) I would have voted for #5, but I figured that in the grand scheme of things, the color really shouldn't be such a big issue. (That's what after-market scales are for anyway. ;))
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

I'll wait to vote until I receive my two. A real view will show better than the photos. From the photos I do like it though it's different which is good.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Well, I'm sorry for causing dismay by starting a poll about a color. From what I've seen, Sal's pretty cool, and I doubt that he will lose sleep over a few forumites discussing the color of a piece of G10...but either way, my bad, and I do apologize to everyone. :(
Def no need to appologize but I do need to appologize for insinuating that you should not have started this poll/thread. Also, any drama (none so far) would not be your fault either. Since we do have this thread, I just wanted to remind everyone HOW we got here in the first place and WHY we now have dark blue G10. Admittedly,I was expecting police blue like the FRN Manix, and Stretch ZDP. I'd just caution to not be too harsh on this thread. Maybe it is just me, Im more grateful than anything after years of begging.

That said, I like the shade anyway. They'll need to try harder to make a blue that I don't like. Havent seen it live yet but Im actually looking forward to the translucence.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I bet that Rit dying it certain shades of light blue will give a desired result you all seek.

Guinea pigs?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

FCM415 wrote:I bet that Rit dying it certain shades of light blue will give a desired result you all seek.

Guinea pigs?
I dyed mine with Navy Blue RIT dye within an hour of receiving it (not sure what light blue dye would do BTW, if anything at all...). It did turn the scales a shade or two more toward dark blue, and toned down the translucence somewhat. I believe my set could be more properly called Royal Blue. I could not release the liner off the scale on the non-comp lock side, so that was tossed into the pan as well (had no problem releasing the comp lock side liner from the G10).

I will strongly warn anyone that these PM2s do not want to come apart, and Spyderco makes them solid (rightly so) so that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you might and probably will damage the scales in some way during disassembly. Releasing the scales off the lanyard tube is especially tricky, and these scales in particular on this model were "tight", very snuggly fit together. If you do mar the scales somewhat, you should gently try to sand the damage back to a spot you're happy with and the dye job should do its job in recoloring the blemishes back to the same color as everything else. Good luck!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
LC Kid

Not for Me

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

This so called 'Blurple' color is not for me.

From the beginning when it was said the new S110V PM2 would be 'Dark Blue' I thought about some nice Dark Navy Blue. :rolleyes:

But this color, at least for me, would only work for some new Dealer Exclusive LadyBug.

So, I'll pass. And keep on waiting for the upcoming M4 PM2. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

There is a color? :)

Now that I think about it, G-10 Manix 2, S110V, Translucent Dark Purple scales... :P~~~~ Who has the pre-order available yet? :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

https://youtu.be/URGnINESi_A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

At first review I liked it. I just picked one up from CS so I'm looking forward to seeing how translucent this is.
25 :spyder:'s and counting
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

FCM415 wrote:
Def no need to appologize but I do need to appologize for insinuating that you should not have started this poll/thread. Also, any drama (none so far) would not be your fault either. Since we do have this thread, I just wanted to remind everyone HOW we got here in the first place and WHY we now have dark blue G10. Admittedly,I was expecting police blue like the FRN Manix, and Stretch ZDP. I'd just caution to not be too harsh on this thread. Maybe it is just me, Im more grateful than anything after years of begging.

That said, I like the shade anyway. They'll need to try harder to make a blue that I don't like. Havent seen it live yet but Im actually looking forward to the translucence.
Yep, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything. Apologies if my post came off as rude. It's just a color. :) Some love it, others less so, but it seems there's no harm in polite discussion. The good news is pretty much everyone seems to be grateful for it and even the folks who don't care for the color have said thanks. :spyder:
swigert

Post by swigert »

When I get around to getting one it will definitely go into custom scales. I like to keep sprints in their factory scales so having this steel in a production I will feel great about it going into custom scales.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

ABX2011 wrote:I like the color. Not so sure the translucent quality adds to it - from photos I've seen it makes the handle color look uneven like it's stained.
+1 … exactly this. I really like the color, I even like the purplish "cast", but the slight transluscent aspect makes the color look uneven. At least to my eyes.

I will know if it really bugs me once it is in hand … no matter what, the color will NOT stop me from taking delivery of my new S110V PM2.

Thank you, Sal and company - for coming through for us yet again.

~ Edge