which spydeco for a non spyderco person?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adam569

which spydeco for a non spyderco person?

Post by adam569 »

my stepdads birthday is coming up, and I want to get him a spyderco that will appeal to him the same way is old buck lite has. He's has carried the same buck lite since I was 9 I'm 29 now theres really not much left. :( I would really value your suggestions on which spyderco has the same features as the original buck lites? I'm thinking wayne Goddard but don't have one so I can't say for shure.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
Holland

Re: which spydeco for a non spyderco person?

Post by Holland »

Can't go wrong with a Delica
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Holland wrote:Can't go wrong with a Delica
Agree.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Also agree with the Delica option. A Chaparral would also likely be a good choice, or a Kiwi 4 if he likes the Wharncliffe blade profile.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
adam569

Post by adam569 »

The delica would be a good choice if I can just get him to try it out. Im pretty shure he would throw the kiwi 4 in the gun cabinet, the knife would have to comparible to the original buck lites. I'm afraid I'd be very tempted to keep the chaparral.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Agree on the delica, maybe one of the jigged bone Damascus pieces.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Caly, sage, dragonfly, or maybe a Centofante.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Again I agree with the Delica, especially if you can get the burnt orange HAP 40 version when it comes out :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm going to suggest something different based on my own experience. I bought my Dad several Spydercos including a Delica, Chaparral and Caly. He liked them because I gave them to him and because they were quality knives, but the blade shapes never really resonated with him. He had carried and used old puma and buck lock backs for years and at 74 years old its just hard sometimes to like something new. Earlier this year I got him a Worker sprint and that was it. I finally found a Spydie that he really loves.

p.s. LOL, even after that story I would still say go with the Delica if he is open minded enough to enjoy the differences. Of course I was never a great gift giver. Being a great gift giver means getting them what they will like...not what I would like them to like. :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Most people I know that aren't really into Spyderco tend to see the "hump" as the biggest downfall. I'd say a Native, Manix 2 or perhaps a Dragonfly ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Tough one-
I'd ask him what are things he likes about his current carry and compare them to the current catalogue- and what is his cutting use...And maybe ask what he'd like from his perfect knife- would serrations make his cutting easier? Would having that choil help with fine detail cuts? Does he want more blade or less blade? Something deeper in the belly?

Something like a Police all serrated stainless handled model is, for me, the distillation of what a Spyderco knife 'is' and a true classic- but it's not for everyone.

Likewise, the Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2 are equally popular for their great steels and excellent ergonomics- but if your Dad is a lockback only guy, then some new mechanism might seem counter-intuitive.

The Delicas and Enduras are always good choices- I'd probably edge toward one of the sexier steel models....Or even the Calypso 3 or 3.5 in ZDP and carbon fibre will add a serious touch of class.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Stretch, Native or Delica.
(Stretch seems pretty close to more traditional design)
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Plus 1 on either the Delica or the Dragonfly
adam569

Post by adam569 »

The native might be my answer you know how much made in USA means to some
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Sage 4
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DutchBlades wrote:Most people I know that aren't really into Spyderco tend to see the "hump" as the biggest downfall. I'd say a Native, Manix 2 or perhaps a Dragonfly ;)
I've seen this too unfortunately. However, once someone sees the brilliant beauty of the Round Hole opening mechanism, you will have a better chance of converting them to the "hump" models. ;)

I'll echo what several have recommended and say Delica, Native, Caly3, and definitely the LW Centofante. Also, have him look at the G-10 Manbug. I gave one of these to my father-in-law (age 71) a few Christmases ago and he really likes it (although he's always been more of a traditional Buck, Case, or Schrade kind of guy).
Hope this helps. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
adam569

Post by adam569 »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm going to suggest something different based on my own experience. I bought my Dad several Spydercos including a Delica, Chaparral and Caly. He liked them because I gave them to him and because they were quality knives, but the blade shapes never really resonated with him. He had carried and used old puma and buck lock backs for years and at 74 years old its just hard sometimes to like something new. Earlier this year I got him a Worker sprint and that was it. I finally found a Spydie that he really loves.

p.s. LOL, even after that story I would still say go with the Delica if he is open minded enough to enjoy the differences. Of course I was never a great gift giver. Being a great gift giver means getting them what they will like...not what I would like them to like. :D
This pretty much my situation he will like because i got it for him but i want it usefull to him.I know that if he carries it will be used a bunch for cleaning trout and things of that nature.the sage 4 is a good suggestions but I'd have to buy 2 one for me. So none of yall think the original buck lites could be compared to the wayne goddard model?
adam569

Post by adam569 »

Just incase I forgot thank you all for the input, I apricate the help.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wayne Goddard is a great choice for an old timer.I'd like to get one for myself.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Goddard is fairly large, so as long as that isn't an issue for him it would be a good choice. I love mine, it's very thin and the ergonomics are excellent. The linerless design also means it will be easier to clean after gutting a trout than something like a Delica.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden