"**** the choils, full speed ahead!"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

For those who don't like choils, do you have a Spyderco with a choil anyway?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 19

MichaelScott

"**** the choils, full speed ahead!"

Post by MichaelScott »

Curious about whether the dislike of a choil on a knife would stop you from having and using it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Re: "**** the choils, full speed ahead!"

Post by SG89 »

The title made me spit out my drink lol!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Wow....
Last edited by FCM415 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Vaaaast majority of Sal and Eric's in house designs come with 50/50 choils. Ouch.
devine1

Post by devine1 »

I prefer them
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I like them too so **** the choilless ;) :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Straight to the point :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Lol. I'm a fan of both, so I'm no help at all. ;) Catchy title, though, OP.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Choils aren't my preference but i have a lot of spydies with choils. If i like the knife i buy it choil or not.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Not sure this poll will tell you much. Most people don't know whether they like choils on a knife until they've tried it. I don't have a B&M store by me so I have ordered a spyderco with a choil and used it only to find that I don't like it (and I still own it, but don't use it). Others buy knives with choils for collector's value (i.e. Forum Native), but don't use them.

I own a G-10 Caly3, for example. It was my second Spyderco I bought (after using my 1st Gen Delica for 15 years), and I never use it. I bought it because it came highly recommended. I used it, but never found it fit my hand very well.

A more interesting and informative poll would be to ask (for those who don't like choils) what percentage of knives they own have choils, or what percentage of regularly used knives have choils. But this wouldn't give the answer you want it to, since right off the bat you're pre-selecting for people who don't like choils so likely don't have regular use knives that have choils.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

captnvegtble wrote:Not sure this poll will tell you much. Most people don't know whether they like choils on a knife until they've tried it. I don't have a B&M store by me so I have ordered a spyderco with a choil and used it only to find that I don't like it (and I still own it, but don't use it). Others buy knives with choils for collector's value (i.e. Forum Native), but don't use them.

I own a G-10 Caly3, for example. It was my second Spyderco I bought (after using my 1st Gen Delica for 15 years), and I never use it. I bought it because it came highly recommended. I used it, but never found it fit my hand very well.

A more interesting and informative poll would be to ask (for those who don't like choils) what percentage of knives they own have choils, or what percentage of regularly used knives have choils. But this wouldn't give the answer you want it to, since right off the bat you're pre-selecting for people who don't like choils so likely don't have regular use knives that have choils.
Actually, I limited the poll choices in order to get an idea of whether someone who doesn't like choils lets that stand in the way of getting and, or, using a knife with them. Not a big deal, but interesting to me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

MichaelScott wrote: Actually, I limited the poll choices in order to get an idea of whether someone who doesn't like choils lets that stand in the way of getting and, or, using a knife with them. Not a big deal, but interesting to me.
I understand your limiting the poll choices... my point is that the poll isn't going to answer your question of whether not liking choils gets in the way of owning knives with choils (people may buy a knife BEFORE they realize they don't like choils), or they may buy them and not use them (because they collect them, for example, but don't use them).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I do like choils...I guess I don't vote?

I kinda feel like if you're not into choils, Spyderco is not really the brand for you. Yeah, there are lots of models that don't have choils, but the majority of them do and it's likely that the majority of the future models will too. They do a good job of mixing it up with models that don't, and two of their highest selling models don't (Delica/Endura), but it's a pretty iconic design element that I don't think is ever going away. It's not like the Boye dent that fell out of popularity.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:So I do like choils...I guess I don't vote?

I kinda feel like if you're not into choils, Spyderco is not really the brand for you. Yeah, there are lots of models that don't have choils, but the majority of them do and it's likely that the majority of the future models will too. They do a good job of mixing it up with models that don't, and two of their highest selling models don't (Delica/Endura), but it's a pretty iconic design element that I don't think is ever going away. It's not like the Boye dent that fell out of popularity.
Educate me on the boye dent falling out of popularity that's sad to hear I like it a lot. Please
Spydergirl88
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Spydergirl88 wrote: Educate me on the boye dent falling out of popularity that's sad to hear I like it a lot.
They say that it fixed a problem that was never there... safety from accidentally depressing the lockswitch that is.

Another is that it breaks away from the clean lines in the spine of a backlock knife.

Not a deal breaker either way for me but one thing I do like about the Boye detent is that it's easier for me to feel without seeing where the lock is to close it. Becomes quite useful when you use your knife dozens of times a day and if you get accustomed to it like in the Delica/Stretch, it's kind of weird when you rotate back to say a Chap or Native5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:

Educate me on the boye dent falling out of popularity that's sad to hear I like it a lot. Please
Pretty much what FCM415 said. It was a fad for a while, some say it helped to feel your way onto the lock but you can just as easily feel for the cutout notch on the handle itself. In the end I think many people felt that it just made disengaging the lock harder and didn't really add to the knives, and the most current liner locks are coming without it now.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the info
Spydergirl88
swigert

Post by swigert »

I like knives both with and without choil. I think spuderco always nails it. For example: manix is perfect with on, deica is perfect without.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

To fully answer the original question, no, I do not really like choils, and yes, I own several unused knives that have them. The knife I carry every day is a Tenacious, I love the size, ergonomics, lack of choil, and the price.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

True.

Team Innovation