Delica 4 Choil

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Re: Delica 4 Choil

Post by FCM415 »

As I have said in the past, I can easily go without a choil, but the many Spydies I own that do have that 50/50, I do use it and do so often. I consider it an asset unlike the ones here that REALLY have a deep hate for it lmao. Some will reply "hold on a minute I don't 'hate' it"... Well they sure respond like they do :p Just needs to be understood though that the Delica is a well loved model and just like the Military, any changes on it and people will get all emo. Just the way it is.

I know that you already said that you specifically wish the Delica to be choiled...Not the Caly3 etc because they just aren't the Delica. The absolute closest thing right now is the Byrd Meadowlark. Only real difference will be the hole type and steel. I know, it's sort of a consolation prize, but at least it gives you that satisfying FRN grip that is nonexistant with the Caly3. I gotta say, the Mlark being a choiled Delica is a joy to use :spyder:

As far as the Delica having a choil in the future... There is enough hate for choils especially from Delica purists that I seriously doubt that Sal would put one in. I have suggested a few years ago in a Bladeforums thread regarding this issue for them to consider doing a non choiled and a choiled version running concurrent and Sal replied basically saying it's not that simple as it will have different molds etc etc and we will have to go with what is more requested. Non-choil won out it seemed in that thread as well.

This is coming from a Delica fanboy btw. :cool:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

One argument from the choil-loving community is that a choiled knife provides you with grip choices.But how many of us DONT use the choil on a choiled knife?I think 99% of us will use the choil every single time.
The Delica/Endura have theyr fans who will scream bloody murder at the prospect of a choiled D5 or E5 like the PM fans will scream at the prospect of a PM3 without a choil.
Btw i realy hate choils ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I wonder if people who demand choils have specific tasks they perform which require the use of one? I prefer small knives not have choils, personally. It could be that my tasks just don't require them, I can't say for certain.

The Delica is already fairly close to the hand to give a user the control they need as is. Adding a choil pushes the rear grip further off of the blade which I personally dislike a great deal. Isn't the Caly basically a Delica equivalent with a choil? I like that knife overall, but it wouldn't be my knife of choice for cardboard slicing or anything but lighter use. I dislike being so close to the blade when I'm doing any job that requires a decent amount of force.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MichaelScott wrote:
swigert wrote:To respond to a few suggestions in this one:

"If you change the design of a model... it no longer becomes that model. Therefore, if you put a choil on a Delica, it is no longer called a Delica."

If I am correct the Dragonfly was modified with a choil, among other changes from the original, to be released as the Dragonfly 2. Still a Dragonfly.

"exactly what do you think the difference in performance would be with a choiled Delica over a Caly 3 or Caly 3.5?"

Performance? Probably not much, but neither of those are Delicas, which I prefer for various reasons over those two. The addition of a choil to a Delica would not require extensive modification I think. Could be wrong. I'm no knife designer, although I fantasize at times that I am...

Granted that most responders don't like choils in general, and specifically not on a Delica, we don't have to beat that horse (sorry, had to do it). If anyone wishes to offer objective pros and cons, I'd like to hear them.

Regards,
Michael
FWIW, I don't buy that "If you change the design of a model... it no longer becomes that model." either. Almost every model that's stayed in production more than a couple years has undergone some changes. The Delica, for example, has changed quite a bit over the years. Heck, one of Spyderco's slogans, featured on the 2000 catalog, was "The Relentless Drive to Evolve".

That said, the Dragonfly always had a choil, the D'fly 2's may be slightly deeper, or not, I don't have one to compare to my older ones. Blade shape, OTOH, got changed early on. The oldest ones had a narrower blade.

As far as the idea of adding a choil to the Delica, IMHO, the only objection that matters is Sal's, namely that Spyderco produces the Delica for the "average knife user", rather than for us "knife aficionados", and that their research shows that most folks in that demographic prefer knives without 50/50 choils. If that changes at some point in the future, then we may see a Delica 5 (or 6) that sports a choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Deacon wrote:
FWIW, I don't buy that "If you change the design of a model... it no longer becomes that model." either. Almost every model that's stayed in production more than a couple years has undergone some changes. The Delica, for example, has changed quite a bit over the years. Heck, one of Spyderco's slogans, featured on the 2000 catalog, was "The Relentless Drive to Evolve".
I agree with Paul on this and currently we can look at the case of the Gayle Bradley Folder. The GB2 won't have the choil of its predecessor but it's still a Gayle Bradley Folder.

The changes I would prefer to see on the Delica would be to have a pointy tip and a wire clip.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

flatearth wrote:here's a cool delica mod with woodscales and a choil:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link, great mod ! :cool: :eek: :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

What about a Caly in FRN ? ! ?

Where do we buy it ? :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
FDE

Post by FDE »

Me to! Me to! :D

I for one (actually I guess two) would like to see a 50/50 choil added to the Delica. There is already that big unsharpened spot on the blade that even the nay sayers admit to using as a makeshift choil, so might as well make it the real deal!
That said, I've given up on this notion since Sal has heard my cry for a smaller Paramilitary. If you have not had a PM2 and a Delica side by side then have a look.

Now tell me a smaller Paramilitary doesn't mostly fit the bill for a choiled Delica.
The only differences (IMO)
- pointy tip YES!
- better lock
- slightly different but better ergonomics
- nicer handle material
- made in USA! ;)
If holding out for the PM3 isn't what you want to hear, then I second the Byrd Meadowlark suggestion. It is REALLY close to what you/we want, but that darn Byrd hole ruins it for me. Still a nice knife for the $
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FDE wrote:Me to! Me to! :D

I for one (actually I guess two) would like to see a 50/50 choil added to the Delica. There is already that big unsharpened spot on the blade that even the nay sayers admit to using as a makeshift choil, so might as well make it the real deal!
That said, I've given up on this notion since Sal has heard my cry for a smaller Paramilitary. If you have not had a PM2 and a Delica side by side then have a look.

Now tell me a smaller Paramilitary doesn't mostly fit the bill for a choiled Delica.
- pointy tip YES!
- better lock
- nicer handle material
- made in USA! ;)
If holding out for the PM3 isn't what you want to hear, then I second the Byrd Meadowlark suggestion. It is REALLY close to what you/we want, but that darn Byrd hole ruins it for me. Still a nice knife for the $
You just had to show off that orange pm2 didn't ya?! I want one :(
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jeffmcmullen9807

Post by Jeffmcmullen9807 »

Saddest day for me if a D5 had a choil. I have about dozen and have never wished for a choil. There's loads that have that option. I'm super cool with the D4 as is.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ok, I will respond:

- pointy tip YES!
they both have "pointy tips" but different shape
- better lock
matter of opinion. I have both and like both. The back lock is far easier to close with either hand for me.
i like the ergonomics of the Delica better
- nicer handle material
the PM2's G10 surface is, again, for me, just right for G10. If the handle shape was more like that of the Delica, I might rate them even in that regard. But I is not. I like FRN better than most G10 surfaces.
- made in USA!
that doesn't matter to me. I appreciate quality and design regardless of where it is made or, more to the point, who makes it.

Ergo: the PM doesn't fill the bill. It is a personal preference, not a quality comparison.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
araneae

Post by araneae »

This gets brought up several times every year, a Delica with a choil wouldn't be a Delica. But it might be a nice knife...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Whatever.

Just want my HAP Delica already.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm in the camp that having knife, like the Delica-4, which has a finger choil, would be a great addition.
Jeffmcmullen9807

Just give me advance notice so I can score 4-5 more and a couple pre-choil trainers.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Way ahead of you :).I have now 3 D4 in their boxes,plus 2 trainers,in adition to another 2 working Delica's and i'm waiting for a Kahr Arms.The choiled winter can come,i am prepared :).
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Jeffmcmullen9807

spyderwolf wrote:Way ahead of you :).I have now 3 D4 in their boxes,plus 2 trainers,in adition to another 2 working Delica's and i'm waiting for a Kahr Arms.The choiled winter can come,i am prepared :).
Choiled winter!!!!!!
Hilarious!!!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I prefer the Delica as is. When I feel like carrying something close with a choil I have my Calypso 3.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cujobob wrote: The Delica is already fairly close to the hand to give a user the control they need as is. Adding a choil pushes the rear grip further off of the blade which I personally dislike a great deal. Isn't the Caly basically a Delica equivalent with a choil? I like that knife overall, but it wouldn't be my knife of choice for cardboard slicing or anything but lighter use. I dislike being so close to the blade when I'm doing any job that requires a decent amount of force.
Yep. Choils can be dangerous. The Caly would be a better knife if they moved the guard forward of the pivot and got rid of the 50/50 choil. I like mine, but it could always be better. The Delica is just about right. If the Caly had a guard instead of a choil, the Delica would be ...
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

this_is_nascar wrote:I'm in the camp that having knife, like the Delica-4, which has a finger choil, would be a great addition.
A thread discussing an FRN Caly just opened today.

Possible that an FRN Caly may be the ticket. Closest thing.