Comments on the Domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bchan

Comments on the Domino

Post by bchan »

I am thinking of buying a Domino but I do not see this knife mentioned in the forum often. Does anyone has experience with this knife? I would be grateful for your comments/insights.
DutchBlades

Re: Comments on the Domino

Post by DutchBlades »

Don't own one myself, but handled one a few times.
They flip great and the ergo's are pretty good. Fit&finish is excellent as expected and non-knife people accept it pretty easily as far as I know.
I chose the Southard above it at the time, but I might still get one in the future :)

I'd say pick it up if you can find it a decent price!
If it turns out you don't like it, there's always people looking for a flipper on the secondary market ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Great flipper.Nice ergos.Great F&F.The blade is too wide for my taste and the thumb hole is not where it should be.I own two sprints but I carry none.Enough said.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Echoing the above:

The Fit and finish is gem-like- it's a treat to look at and handle, from the carbon/G10 laminate, to the stonewash Ti to the general pleasing shape. It's also pleasingly weighty in the hand too.

The flipper is slick and fun- but I find that the hole still gives a solid and rapid opening too.

Blade steel is sexy XHP too and I've found it comes up scary sharp and stays there. A sensible shape and size for most light-medium chores.

I do like the 'flat' sides- it hides nicely in the pocket....the only tiny, minor, gripe is the clip is the standard black model- a nice Ti custom clip completes the 'ensemble' I feel.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
palonej

Post by palonej »

I have the blue twill model and can't say enough about it!
It gets LOTS of pocket time!
Great steel, F&F, looks awesome and the cool factor is off the charts!
It's one of those knives you can't help but flip and fondle!
Don't hesitate on this one.....you'll love it!
Oh yeah.....it cuts stuff real good too!

Joe
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Nemo and I wrote a review about this knife HERE. I still like it but do not cary it much (at the moment I prefer smaller knives) .
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I own a LSCF version, it is a beautiful knife and my favorite knife to carry but I only carry it in certain situations. Mine is engraved so I do not want to lose or damage it.

So if I was really pushed to be nit-picky I would say that it might be too nice for some to want to edc, and that if you are used to FRN knives you will find the Domino heavier.

But overall it is a great knife. The blade itself might be my favorite. Think Manix 2 blade with a little more belly.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

We had a huge Domino Love discussion recently, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68390&p=1036149&hil ... e#p1036149

These are fantastic knives. The flippers are very smooth, and the overall fit and finish is excellent. I have three :D

Get the blue carbon fiber if you can, these are gorgeous but dealer exclusives. The 204p from BBS is nice if you want G10, just a bit pricey, however, I also imagine these won't last forever.

If you want one to try without the heartburn of paying full boat, I see NIB to slightly used ones sell regularly in the $130 range on some of the forums. You can't go wrong, and you won't regret it.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I like the knife, my gripe is with the sharp edges on the blade spine. It's ergonomic and well made, plus, as mentioned, hides in the pocket quite well. I will eventually have mine modded to round out a few things and probably put a ti clip on it as well.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I love my Domino. It is kind of like a slightly smaller Manix2 with a flipper. In general, framelocks are not my favorite, but the Domino's lock works nice and smoothly due to the stainless steel insert/overtravel stop. Honestly, my only real gripe with the Domino is that I wish it had been designed with a wire clip instead like the lightweight Manix2. That one change would make it nearly the perfect EDC for me.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

One of Spydercos best knives imo.....
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

superb design

bchan

Post by bchan »

Thank you all for your insights, which have been mostly positive. One of the negatives however, mentioned by a youtube reviewer, is that the jimping on the steel insert to the lockbar has proved to be a hot spot for him. Do you feel the same?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I could see that if you were gripping the knife very tightly but I haven't used that particular knife in any hard use to verify.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'll just leave these here... ;)

Etch and stonewash job plus a WEPS sharpening on mine by Mark Mansfield, a custom service provider over on BF. The ivory snake juma one is Mark's, made by our favorite scale modder Steve Ketchen. Like Steve, Mark's a great guy to deal with, he also makes some neat "knife burritos", which have been the backdrop of most of my pics recently. These are Mark's pics though, to give due credit. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bchan

Post by bchan »

Radioactive, what more can I say? Nice handles, nice etching, nice stonewash --- nice knives.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bchan wrote:Radioactive, what more can I say? Nice handles, nice etching, nice stonewash --- nice knives.
Thank you! I should add that the black coarse G10 scale on mine was made by Allen Putnam, who makes some cool scales too. I think his website is bladescales.com (I grabbed this one from him off eBay). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It's great. Go for the 204P one if you can.

hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

The jimping on the over-travel stop is noticeable there's no denying it. I know of many who have smoothed it out a bit, or completely on their own with various tools. For everything the knife gives me, I haven't been bothered by it.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
kingpinsuited

Post by kingpinsuited »

The one thing that caught my eye the most about the domino was the stonewashed titanium on the back, which is really good looking, and the scales on the front. If you are into the larger knives, I would say go for it. It has a cool, unique sound when opening as well. I honestly wish I would have bought the Dice, but I'm still very happy with the purchase. I haven't held a Southard, but I've only heard good things.