CPM REX

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NoFair

Re: CPM REX

Post by NoFair »

Bodog wrote:
Cujobob wrote:

S110V seems to be more than tough enough for most people's needs so why not increase the wear resistance at the cost of toughness some more? As long as the blade doesn't explode when cutting boxes and rope it'll be alright for around 75% of the people out there. I recently saw a rex 121 blade, just a blade, at 67 hrc selling for about 120 bucks. I really thought about buying it.
A better option for most would be to grind it (S110V) thinner to increase cutting ability instead of going with a more wear resistant steel with a fat grind... ;)
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

NoFair wrote:
Bodog wrote:
Cujobob wrote:

S110V seems to be more than tough enough for most people's needs so why not increase the wear resistance at the cost of toughness some more? As long as the blade doesn't explode when cutting boxes and rope it'll be alright for around 75% of the people out there. I recently saw a rex 121 blade, just a blade, at 67 hrc selling for about 120 bucks. I really thought about buying it.
A better option for most would be to grind it (S110V) thinner to increase cutting ability instead of going with a more wear resistant steel with a fat grind... ;)
The blade I saw wasn't Farid's mule. Farid's blade looked pretty fat. The one I was thinking about looked fairly thin with a profile more along the lines of a Southfork without the choil.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

sal wrote:it's very expensive to purchase and process. We have a run being produced for us for a Mule Team.

sal
I guess I'm getting a Mule then... :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

dubya3 wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:"I agree with you and Cujo. We don't need REX 121, don't need S110V and most of us probably don't even need anything better than S35VN but it's fun and interesting to see how different steels act."

That makes no sense..how can you or anyone else for that matter decide what someone else "needs"?

Well, I am truly sorry I confused you.

The average user (and probably most people in the world) could get by just fine without S110V, S125V or REX 121. I'm not sure what the rest of the users NEED that kind of steel for but I tend to think people get the super duper premium stuff because they simply want to have it, myself included.
Again how do you know what a "average user" needs? So you're saying if I have a S110V steel knife according to you I got it just because I wanted to have it?

What each of us needs is determined by the individual not what someone on a internet forum "thinks" is best for them.

That's the best part of the MT program..it allows each of us try these sometimes exotic metals and come to our own conclusions.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

What an individual needs from a knife is based on the cutting tasks they perform.

I will be acquiring this mule, my thoughts were simply pointed at the notion that this steel is more than it is. Because it is so different, I will enjoy putting it through its paces.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Philo, are you just trying to argue for the sake of arguing? Nobody is saying you can't have your S110V or REX 121 knives. Nobody is saying that there aren't people that need that kind of wear resistance. The term "we" was likely intended to mean if you average out the knife usage of everyone that uses a knife, then these mega high end steels aren't typically needed on a day to day basis for most people. I highly doubt the term "we" was used in the complete and absolute sense of "every single individual user ever on a personal basis."

But hey, if you want to take a generic observation and interpret it as a personal attack on your freedom to carry S110V, I suppose that's your right. Nobody's going to stop you from taking it that way, but it doesn't mean we (the collective, average "we", not the single individual person "we") can't see how absurd such absolutist interpretations are.

As for knowing what the average person needs, sales are a good way of seeing what people are buying to fill their knife needs. If you look at the overall trend of mass produced knives, it appears that as a whole (again, not on a single person by person basis), people tend to fulfill their knife needs by purchasing mid to lower end steels. So if the majority is fulfilling their cutting needs with mid to low end steels, and a very small minority needing uber wear resistant steels, then the average quality of steel needed is still going to be dragged down by the sheer number of lower end needs, even if there are those with more demanding cutting tasks and needs.

Now, does this mean other people don't need or deserve to have their S110V and REX 121? Absolutely not. I'm glad you personally can buy them. I'm glad that I can buy them even though I personally don't need anything nearly so wear resistant.

If we really want to get to the bottom of the want vs need aspect of the average knife user (well, within the confines of this forum), maybe a poll could tell us if the average buyer is buying because they need the additional performance these super high wear resistant knives offer, or if it's for other reasons (collectibility, fun, just for variety's sake, etc).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I've lusted over these super duper steels 121 rex and maxemet and maybe hap70 would be the top of the lists for me.

ill have to get two rex 121 mules
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
sal wrote:it's very expensive to purchase and process. We have a run being produced for us for a Mule Team.

sal
You just sold me my first mule.
Yeah me too>> I've yet to ever buy one because I've always loved my original TEMPERANCE 1 model so much and keep praying that it will return as a SPRINT RUN in either H-1 or in one of the Supersteels.

But if Spyderco is taking advanced orders for this CPM-REX Mule model that will be my first one as well. Keep us up to date on it's anticipated release please?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

jabba359 wrote:Philo, are you just trying to argue for the sake of arguing?
Seems you are doing the same?
jabba359 wrote:Nobody is saying you can't have your S110V or REX 121 knives. Nobody is saying that there aren't people that need that kind of wear resistance. The term "we" was likely intended to mean if you average out the knife usage of everyone that uses a knife, then these mega high end steels aren't typically needed on a day to day basis for most people. I highly doubt the term "we" was used in the complete and absolute sense of "every single individual user ever on a personal basis."
I'd say you need to go back and reread the thread..it went "We don't need REX 121, don't need S110V and most of us probably don't even need anything better than S35VN but it's fun and interesting to see how different steels act." to "The average user (and probably most people in the world) could get by just fine without S110V, S125V or REX 121. I'm not sure what the rest of the users NEED that kind of steel for but I tend to think people get the super duper premium stuff because they simply want to have it, myself included".
Maybe your right and it wasn't meant the way it came across but when I read those statements it seems to come across one way only..I know people that do need these higher quality steels but they are either unwilling to learn about them or they are to cheap to buy them.
jabba359 wrote:But hey, if you want to take a generic observation and interpret it as a personal attack on your freedom to carry S110V, I suppose that's your right. Nobody's going to stop you from taking it that way, but it doesn't mean we (the collective, average "we", not the single individual person "we") can't see how absurd such absolutist interpretations are.
Where did I say I take it as a "personal attack on your freedom to carry S110V".. "Absurd..yeah that's a good word to describe it if you think that's what I'm trying say. What I'm saying is a knife or steel can't be prejudged..any steel has specific material properties, you can look it up, that can't be changed..but any steel will react differently to different environments and how we use them and what we use them for along with are individual knife sharpening skills.
jabba359 wrote:As for knowing what the average person needs, sales are a good way of seeing what people are buying to fill their knife needs. If you look at the overall trend of mass produced knives, it appears that as a whole (again, not on a single person by person basis), people tend to fulfill their knife needs by purchasing mid to lower end steels. So if the majority is fulfilling their cutting needs with mid to low end steels, and a very small minority needing uber wear resistant steels, then the average quality of steel needed is still going to be dragged down by the sheer number of lower end needs, even if there are those with more demanding cutting tasks and needs.
I've always thought that the majority tend to fulfill their knife needs according to price..they may not know the differences between VG10 and S110V but they certainly understand the price tag.
jabba359 wrote:Now, does this mean other people don't need or deserve to have their S110V and REX 121? Absolutely not. I'm glad you personally can buy them. I'm glad that I can buy them even though I personally don't need anything nearly so wear resistant.
Agreed. Can't forget the coming Maxamet version either.
jabba359 wrote:If we really want to get to the bottom of the want vs need aspect of the average knife user (well, within the confines of this forum), maybe a poll could tell us if the average buyer is buying because they need the additional performance these super high wear resistant knives offer, or if it's for other reasons (collectibility, fun, just for variety's sake, etc).
I don't really consider anyone on this forum to be a "average" buyer or user..most of the people I know that carry and use knives on a daily basis don't even know what a knife forum is/prefer traditional knives and wouldn't know S90V from a bag of donuts.
At some point we will have Maxamet and Rex 121 Mules to use and test..considering how difficult some of these steels are to work with I think that's pretty dang amazing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal
Is it too soon to ask for an ETA on this?
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:

sal
Is it too soon to ask for an ETA on this?
The little I've seen about Rex121 is that the blades that have used it so far are very thick, maybe because of warping? I hope the thin FFG Mule is able to be done with this steel. It could be awhile though I'm guessing.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm going to give this one a try as well.

Its Also my first mule.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

I guess I'll be getting my first mule when this one is released!

Side note, I've got 2 s110v spydercos. They are the manix2 and pm2. I find this steel quite easy to reprofile and sharpen.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Drew78 wrote:I guess I'll be getting my first mule when this one is released!

Side note, I've got 2 s110v spydercos. They are the manix2 and pm2. I find this steel quite easy to reprofile and sharpen.
Quite easy? Compared to? Just curious because I tried to touch up my s110v manix and it didn't seem like anything was happening to it but I just have the basic stones with the sharpmaker and a DMT fine rod.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

I find it no more difficult than working with a carbon steel. It does take a bit longer to refine the final edge, but reprofiling to the point of burr forming isn't bad at all. I should have mentioned initially, i am working with Diamond stones. Point being, with the right equipment, working with some of these super steels isn't as difficult as some assume it is.