Spyderco Fanboy/girl Thread. What three or so things do you like most about Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Spyderco Fanboy/girl Thread. What three or so things do you like most about Spyderco?

Post by DougC-3 »

I was looking at some pictures of this D'Allara Drop Point and thought, "Only Spyderco would have the audacity to make a knife like that." Also only they would have the ability to design it and the equipment, personnel, and wherewithal to produce it. But mainly the audacity.

Another thing I like is the extreme variety of knives they have to chose from and the fact that they are all very purposeful and functional.

And perhaps mainly the respect and attentiveness they give their clientele and fan base, especially Sal and the way he listens to us knife knuts.

I know there will be a lot of repeat ideas but I'm also curious as to what else you like. Please don't hold back :)

You might want to mention some experience or interaction you have had.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Re: Spyderco Fanboy/girl Thread. What three or so things do you like most about Spyderco?

Post by DougC-3 »

(double post)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
tvenuto

Re: Spyderco Fanboy/girl Thread. What three or so things do you like most about Spyderco?

Post by tvenuto »

1. The owners of the company take an interest in their clientele. A genuine interest, not merely to figure out what we'll buy. The Amsterdam meet is evidence of this, as well as Sal's participation in the forum.

2. The owners of the company (appear to me, at least, to) act in a way consistent with their beliefs. This is far more difficult to do whilst owning a business than one might imagine, since immediate profits often lie along a different path than what one believes in doing. For instance, Sal mentioned that they are loathe to take away a design from a maker once it is given, even though it might cause more headaches/delays/forum-whining than if this were not the case.

3. I think Doug put it well: they have audacity. The D'allara is a unique design for sure, but the Poliwog? The Dodo? Any marketing guru or focus group or survey would have told you that those were bone-headed knives to make. However, those knives (among others) have developed dedicated fan-bases, and expanded how we think about the pocket knife.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Ill keep mine short.

1. Fully serrated knives.
2. FRN Affordable knives with good steels
3. Looks looks looks
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

1 Excellent people and customer service all around.
2 Superb designs and knife shapes and materials with extreme high quality.
3 Affordable knives and tools with that high quality.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

1. Sal--no explanation necessary
2. opening hole--I haven't found an easier (legal) way to open a knife
3. variety--SE, PE, big, little, budget, extravagant, many handle materials, tons of blade steels, lots of "eras"
4. ( :p ) made in Colorado (near where I live)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spyderco business ethics - impeccable imo...
Fearless about using new steels or hard to work with steels like 10V and S110V!
Willingness to really listen to customers
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp!
Style!!
Spydie Hole!!!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

1 - Attention to detail, quality & customer service.
2 - New steels & manufacturing techniques to go with them.
3 - Not afraid to outsource for high quality materials & labor to give value to the product.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

1-Corporate ethics are aligned with integrity, all the way down.
2-Focus on function over appearance.
3-The round hole opener, the only OHO method I want to use.
4-Innovation, innovation, innovation!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

1. Customer input is actually used
2. Willing to try new unproven things/ steels (with testing of course)
3. Good ole fashion innovation
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

1.Spyderedge
2.Spyderhole
3.Spydernomics

1+2+3 <= Sal
Last edited by elena86 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

1. Quality
2. Out of the box thnking and design - take the Dodo, its ugly as sin, but a very functional little blade.
3. Ergonomics - most of the range is comfy for anyone to use, my temperance feels like it was made to fit my XXL hands, but my wife thinks it was molded for her smaller than average hands.

4. Good steel at good prices

5. The company itself - they stand behind their products and care about their customers.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'll keep mine short:
1) Sal
2) Sal
3) and Sal

Doc:)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'll keep it short so I don't take up an entire page :p

1 - Spyderco's business ethics and service
2 - Variety of models and materials
3 - Overall quality and functionality
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

To keep it simple since I'm busy now:

* customer service

* wide variety of steels to choose from

* wide variety of models and edges (spyderedge :D)

* limited editions, sprints, don't cost $700+ like another brand I won't mention

* value - I compare the Endura and Delica to the BM Griptilian and mini, very similar yet Spyderco is $30 to $40 cheaper. Same thing with their Golden made knives, you can't find a BM with G10 and S30V for $100-$120 but I can buy something from the Native line, Paramilitary, Manix and XL and stay under $120. You can't beat that value.

* maybe the best of all, Spyderco communicates and listens to their customers
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

brj

Post by brj »

1. Strong life & business ethics
2. The 'design in the dark' philosophy
3. No ancillary (excessive? superfluous?) markings on blades. One grows tired of the superabundant and uncalled-for "Limited edition", "First production run" and the like.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1) Thumb holes
2) Ergonomics
3) Steel options and/or sprints
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ergonomics, blade shape , as well as the desire to make not just pretty knives, or knives that check the boxes of customer wants but high performing knives that feel good in the hand. The willingness to break with convention to give us better performing knives has given us a lot of firsts in the industry. Probably more than any other company.