Caly XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jmotley

Caly XL

Post by Jmotley »

Would anyone else like to see a larger Caly? ~4" blade, slightly larger handle and a thicker blade stock. Either lock back or better yet, a compression lock? I love my Caly 3.5 but it feels more at home with lighter duty and I don't use it at work much. So, with the discontinuation of the g10 Caly, is there any chance of a re-design or an update? Or just an addition?
dubya3

Re: Caly XL

Post by dubya3 »

I'd love an XL just about any model, especially the PM2 and Yo2. The compression lock would be great but even if the XL were to be made, I highly doubt anything but the back lock would be used.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You're talking about the C95 Calypso which is now discontinued. There was a sprint a few years back. I don't think it's coming back, sorry.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I was really interested in the calypso sprint and should have picked one up when they were right around $100. I never had a chance to handle one though. Are the ergonomics of the handle as good as the Caly 3.5? They look similar but the calypso looks less curved. Honestly what kept me from the calypso was the clip. Deep wire clip and I'd be sold. I guess that is something easily overcome.
So maybe I need to pick one up!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I designed a Caly 4 inch a few years back, using AutoCad and extending the handle and blade lengths to get a close representation of what it might/should look like?
Problem is, there are other knives that are close enough to not making the Caly 4 a reality...as above...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:You're talking about the C95 Calypso which is now discontinued. There was a sprint a few years back. I don't think it's coming back, sorry.

Minor correction. It is the C54 Calypso. C95 was the Manix.
Jmotley wrote:I was really interested in the calypso sprint and should have picked one up when they were right around $100. I never had a chance to handle one though. Are the ergonomics of the handle as good as the Caly 3.5? They look similar but the calypso looks less curved. Honestly what kept me from the calypso was the clip. Deep wire clip and I'd be sold. I guess that is something easily overcome.
So maybe I need to pick one up!
Frankly, I prefer the ergonomics of the original C54 Calypso and C52 Calypso Jr. to the newer Caly3 and Caly3.5. But that's just me.

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Not just you, I've sold the Caly 3 & 3,5 because they just weren't as good as the Calypso for me...
(I just own 1 Calypso Jr. but I love the ergo's and I also think it looks much better)
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Well I guess I need to find a C54 in one form or another. The original micarta versions are great looking knives but I can't get past the clip. And tip down! So who wants to send me a brown calypso user?!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3.5 is perfect for me. I owned original and sprint C54 and sold them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Caly Crew has the purest utilitarian genetics of any Spyderco genus, IMHO.

Slender cross sections, pointy but not overly delicate tips, thin slicy blades, reliable midlocks, a bit of blade belly, choils & thumbramps that really lock you in, and handles that accommodate almost any configuration of grip imaginable make this my favorite Spyderco genus.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

What about a Tatanka? Or is that too big?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sounds like the Sprint 'big' Calypso is what you need sir!

One of my favourites- so glad I snagged the sprint- Slim, sharp and subtle.
Love it-
Ultra slim
And it melts into a pocket- hard to see here but the 'bug' on the clip is filled with brown rather than black, to match the scales. A lovely little touch.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Scaling, up or down, is one of those ideas that sounds great, but does not always work. Mostly because we really like the way the original feels and expect the larger (or smaller) knife to feel exactly the same, which it never will. There are always consequences to resizing. The grip will almost never feel exactly the same. The arc your thumb has to proscribe in order open It might change. The weight, balance, pocket feel, all will be different.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Thanks for the pics demoncase. Certainly is a good looking knife. Your photos also highlight one of my other pet peeves with certain models. It seems that on more than a few models, the tip down clip option leaves less handle sticking out of pocket. I realize that this is usually to accommodate the lanyard hole, but I never use lanyards so personally would always prefer a lower riding clip. I'm sure others differ on this view.

Good point Deacon. Best thing for me would be to try out the calypso and see if it suits me. If not I can come back and start begging for a Caly XL. Or maybe we could get another sprint. This time grey and super blue?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always wanted to try out the full size Caly, but it was always too much trouble to track one down.

I love everything about the Caly and Caly 3.5.....except they're too small to get a full four finger grip out of the choil. I don't have any interest in owning a knife that isn't big enough for me to grip by the handle.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I suggested a Caly 3.75 some time ago which would be perfect but it never wentanywhere. The Calypso inno way resembles the Caly 3.5. I had a Calypso and got rid of it
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jmotley wrote:Well I guess I need to find a C54 in one form or another. The original micarta versions are great looking knives but I can't get past the clip. And tip down! So who wants to send me a brown calypso user?!
Bento has them, if you are willing to pay the price.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Who snagged the Calypso Sprint that ended yesterday on the 'Bay?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...