Paramilitary serrated edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joris Mo

Re: Paramilitary serrated edge

Post by Joris Mo »

DansGunBlog wrote:Agreed on the above... Personally I'd really love to see a Military with a serrated edge.

Dan
Agreed, Military's should really be available with serrated edge again. I remember seeing quite a few of them back in the day when my Spyderco's weren't as many and they weren't the fancy g10 models yet. Also back when I never would've thought I would carry a folder the size of a Military as well and probably also never held one and felt what a brilliant design it is ;)
Actually had to double check to see if it was really true that they are only still produced in PE, love my combo edge, that blade will cut through most anything.
WCC

Post by WCC »

It would be great if spyderco can produce them. In the meantime I will just have to keep an eye out for the older paramilitary serrated edge which is for sale. I'm haunted by this one so am pretty eager to find one. :D
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have the pm1 black spyderedge and it can cut threw steel would love a pm2 combo edge not a full spyderedge
WCC

Post by WCC »

Does anybody know how many of the Paramilitary 1 C81GS (satin blade with serrated edge) knives were produced? I have been struggling to find one, so either people are hanging onto them or maybe there weren't many sold?
The more I look at the serrated edge paramilitary, the more I think a PM2 in serrated edge would be the ultimate cool. :cool:
dialex

Post by dialex »

I think a combo edge would prove handy in many cutting tasks. IMO the optimal proportion would be three large serrations with the smaller double ones inbetween, like there is at the Delica CE.
Donut

Post by Donut »

endgame wrote:I have the pm1 black spyderedge and it can cut threw steel would love a pm2 combo edge not a full spyderedge
Man, I would hate to see the condition of your SE Para if you tested it by cutting steel. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

WCC wrote:Does anybody know how many of the Paramilitary 1 C81GS (satin blade with serrated edge) knives were produced? I have been struggling to find one, so either people are hanging onto them or maybe there weren't many sold?
The more I look at the serrated edge paramilitary, the more I think a PM2 in serrated edge would be the ultimate cool. :cool:
I kind of think that it wasn't a huge hit. At the time it felt like more of a novelty or an homage. I have one because I like knives with Serrated Edges.

I don't know how long they were being produced as "production" and I don't even remember if I got mine while they were being produced or after they were discontinued.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
WCC

Post by WCC »

Donut wrote:
WCC wrote:Does anybody know how many of the Paramilitary 1 C81GS (satin blade with serrated edge) knives were produced? I have been struggling to find one, so either people are hanging onto them or maybe there weren't many sold?
I kind of think that it wasn't a huge hit. At the time it felt like more of a novelty or an homage. I have one because I like knives with Serrated Edges.

I don't know how long they were being produced as "production" and I don't even remember if I got mine while they were being produced or after they were discontinued.
Brian, do you use yours at all? What are your thoughts on the SE?
Donut

Post by Donut »

WCC wrote: Brian, do you use yours at all? What are your thoughts on the SE?
No, sorry, I don't use it. My preferred SE knives are the Lil Matriarch and Dragonfly Salt. The serrations are pretty extreme.

I took pictures of it a while back comparing the serrations on several of my SE knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WCC wrote:I believe Spyderco made two Paramilitary knives with serrated edges, being the C81GS (satin blade) and C81GSBK (black blade). What are your thoughts on them? I love the PM knives and also the serrated blades, so the combo seems like a perfect match or am I wrong?
You're not "wrong", in that whatever works for you, works for you.

However, Spyderco does not drop things from the lineup on a whim, they do so because the thing did not sell well enough to justify producing it. While I'm not a fan of the Paramilitary myself, or of serrated blades, I'm quite sure there are people here who'd be very happy to see Spyderco produce another run of PM2's with SE blades. However, I doubt there would be enough of those people to justify making a run of any particular SE PM2. Especially when you remove those who would only want it "their way", with a specific steel, or handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
endgame

Post by endgame »

Donut wrote:
endgame wrote:I have the pm1 black spyderedge and it can cut threw steel would love a pm2 combo edge not a full spyderedge
Man, I would hate to see the condition of your SE Para if you tested it by cutting steel. :)
Lol just a saying.maybe I will try .
Donut

Post by Donut »

endgame wrote:
Donut wrote:
Lol just a saying.maybe I will try .
LOL, don't do it!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

DansGunBlog wrote:Agreed on the above... Personally I'd really love to see a Military with a serrated edge.

Dan
They aren't all that hard to find. I recently picked up a lightly used one in s30v for $100 without looking too hard.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
WCC wrote:I believe Spyderco made two Paramilitary knives with serrated edges, being the C81GS (satin blade) and C81GSBK (black blade). What are your thoughts on them? I love the PM knives and also the serrated blades, so the combo seems like a perfect match or am I wrong?

However, Spyderco does not drop things from the lineup on a whim, they do so because the thing did not sell well enough to justify producing it. While I'm not a fan of the Paramilitary myself, or of serrated blades, I'm quite sure there are people here who'd be very happy to see Spyderco produce another run of PM2's with SE blades. However, I doubt there would be enough of those people to justify making a run of any particular SE PM2. Especially when you remove those who would only want it "their way", with a specific steel, or handle.
I'm sure you are correct that there weren't enough sales of the serrated pm1 to justify it making a serrated pm2 model. Its hard to imagine though that a limited run of say 600 serrated pm2s wouldn't easily and quickly sell, if for no other reason than they have never been made before and would be "special". Now would it be worth it to add it into regular production? I don't know but a small run seems like it would be an quick and easy sellout.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Surfingringo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I'm sure you are correct that there weren't enough sales of the serrated pm1 to justify it making a serrated pm2 model. Its hard to imagine though that a limited run of say 600 serrated pm2s wouldn't easily and quickly sell, if for no other reason than they have never been made before and would be "special". Now would it be worth it to add it into regular production? I don't know but a small run seems like it would be an quick and easy sellout.
Better make it 1200 so we can all get one. Or three ;)
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

endgame

Post by endgame »

I spyderedge pm2 in h1 im in fishing heaven
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The reason that the Spyderedged Military and SE ParaMilitary both were deleted from the main line up was indeed due to low sales. And there has been a time in the past 10 years that Spyderco's Spyderedged models lost their appeal from the public. But with some new Spyderedged models like the Jumpmaster, Aqua Salt along with a couple of other great Spyderedged models I've seen them catapulting in popularity recently. I'm seeing a change in attitude and seeing a renewed interested not only here on the forum but I do believe more people are discovering how good Spyderedged blades work. Also considering that many of their iconic folder models like the Police, Harpy, Endura, Delica are all gaining new fanfare as well I think we are on the verge of seeing a new upsurge in demand for Spyderedged blades.

I've actually converted my boss and a couple of other guys here at work by just loaning them one of my SE Spyders for a day and it amazed me how they fell in love with them. I've got one guy even wanting to buy my older 440V SE Native in spite of the years of usage it's had :eek: . If Spyderco could get their dealers to come up with some sort of a test driving program by letting the prospective buyers actually use a serrated Spyderco blade for a day or so I do believe that many people would lose their negative pre-conceived notions about serrated blades. They would discover first hand that not all serrated blades are created equal and that Spyderco's SE blades are truly great cutting tools.

You would not only have the Military and Paramilitary return in Spyderedge but you would see a resurgence in SE models all across the board >> I'm absolutely sure of it.

Using and seeing the amazing results you can obtain with a high quality Spyderedged blade is truly what made me a believer and fan of Spyderco's great serrated blades. Don't believe me>> test drive one for yourself and see :cool: We are going to see a resurgence in popularity I'm certain of it.
WCC

Post by WCC »

WCC wrote:It would be great if spyderco can produce them. In the meantime I will just have to keep an eye out for the older paramilitary serrated edge which is for sale. I'm haunted by this one so am pretty eager to find one. :D
Thanks to Endgame and Donut, I was able to source the last two serrated edge Paramilitary 1 knives to complete my collection. :) Thanks guys!! I’m just waiting for these to arrive and I will post some pics of them all. Hopefully, the CS “orange pumpkin” paramilitary will also have dropped to include in the pics. :D