Street Beat vs SB lightweight ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheRaven

Street Beat vs SB lightweight ?

Post by TheRaven »

Just saw this. Anyone have opinions??

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercostree ... dnLdv73aJI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vs

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercostree ... dnL0f73aJI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Despite the term lightweight, there doesn't seem much difference in weight??

There's a coating (which I don't generally like).

The main difference seems to be in price.

Is that FRN handle smooth like the G10?
demoncase

Re: Street Beat vs SB lightweight ?

Post by demoncase »

Lightweight seems to the 'model name' for a model with an FRN grip when it previously had a different grip- The current Urban Lightweight in FRN compared to the original Urban G10...

Me?- I'd ante up and go with the Micarta handled original.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Sorry. Micarta not G10.

I think you're right. The original appears nicer (except perhaps the price).
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Is there a difference in the sheaths? I would prefer to not have the coated blade, but I don't care that much about the handle. In fact, I like the absence of visible fasteners with the FRN. I'm thinking of a small fixed blade for work and EDC, so the price difference is, for me, a deciding factor. I'm glad to see that Spyderco is offering products at a more affordable price for working-class dogs like me.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like that there is a more affordable option here but would prefer the blade uncoated myself. This could be a great backpacking knife for me but I dislike coated blades. I will be holding out to see if an uncoated version of the LW will come out. This knife seems like an alternative to the Moran to me. They are a bit different but they fill a similar market segment as small, lightweight and affordable fixed blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think it's cool they're offering this form factor in a more affordable package. The SB feels awesome in hand, but I sold mine due to not really being able to carry it anywhere (concealed FBs are illegal where I am, and I have exactly 0 yard work to do). I think more people will get to know and love it, and wont be afraid to use it hard at this price point.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Only own the micarta version but would also love an FRN version.
I think this is one of the best fixed blade travelers knives I ever came across, in FRN it would probably be a better travelers blade.
For most people I think this combined with a SAK would be a great travel combo.
(I love mine in the kitchen but have also used it to split small logs for a fire)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I'm doing the tech spec measurements on the Lightweight right now and I really like it. Since I own several of Fred's custom knives, a bunch of his mid-tech patterns, and both old and new-school Spyderco Perrins, I'm picky. Although I love the craftsmanship of the original Street Beat, its price was daunting and the older versions were not sheath friendly. The squared corners of the ricasso at the bottom of the index-finger choil tended to grab the Boltaron and took a lot of breaking in. After I joined Spyderco, I showed them one of my modded Street Beats with a rounded shoulder and they worked that feature into production. Nevertheless, I prefer the Street Beat Lightweight's injection-molded polymer sheath over the Boltaron. It's basically a shortened version of the one I prototyped for the Street Bowie when it was reintroduced a few years ago. In indexes properly on the handle contours at the front of the index-finger choil and provides a very nice snap fit, full handle access on the draw, and absolutely no rattle.

The sheath has eyelets instead of rivets--a consistent Spyderco feature that makes it easy to zip-tie or lash onto packs or other platforms. It comes with a G-Clip that can be attached to either edge and either side of the symmetrical sheath, providing a wide range of carry positions. My personal preference (and Fred's) is to remove the G-Clip and attach a loop of 550 cord to the eyelet at the tip of the sheath. Loop the cord over your belt with a cowhitch and tuck the knife and sheath into appendix carry. When you draw, the sheath and knife come out together, then the tension of the "static cord" pops the sheath off when the knife is safely away from the body. This is also a great method for a support-hand draw, since your other hand can access it and draw to any angle. A support-hand reverse-grip draw for handgun retention is a very happy thing with this style of carry.

The injection-molded handle of the Lightweight faithfully maintains the contours of the original and adds a very subtle EDM texture that's about equivalent to bead blasted Micarta or G-10. This makes it much less slippery than polished Micarta, but not aggressively textured at all. Since the handle ergos are so good, there's really no need for that. For lanyard and fob fans, the Lightweight's handle also includes a lanyard hole.

Like the Street Bowie, the blade coating is black ceramic--probably pretty close to Cerakote. It's durable and doesn't increase cutting friction, so I don't mind it at all. To put the black blade into even better context, I would prefer to see the sheath hardware blackened as well, but it's still a big step in the right direction for operational folks who have a professional aversion to shiny things.

I'm really happy to see the Street Beat in a more affordable, more accessible format. Now I just need to sacrifice a few goats, burn some candles, and spit some rum to sway the gods into making a trainer...

Stay safe,

Mike
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Michael Janich wrote: I'm really happy to see the Street Beat in a more affordable, more accessible format. Now I just need to sacrifice a few goats, burn some candles, and spit some rum to sway the gods into making a trainer...

Stay safe,

Mike
A most interesting part of your post, Michael, thank you. I'm surprised its so hard to persuade the Spyderco "gods".
Don't forget to sacrifice some chickens, too, can't do any harm, and drink most of the rum, better safe than sorry. :)

Well said, I really enjoyed that! :D

Cheers,
skatenut
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, the sacred chickens worked ok for the Romans, then, being chickens got distracted, wandered off and started hanging about with those barbarians up north.

Faithless fowl.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Thanks to all the posters and a special thanks to Michael Janich for his expert opinion.