Spyderco closer to Europe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

We europeans pay a high price for our Spydies.It's been discused before.I was thinking that Spyderco should do something for us.Maybe to have at least one exclusive dedicated dealer in Europe or something similar.They should do the math and decide.But what's buging me is when one is in the situation to send a knife for warranty issues,repair or sharpening(or even worse, reprofiling).One may not be willing to send a 100+ $ knife overseas without a tracked and ensured delivery.And such a delivery is at least 40$.Plus custom fees and so on.Maybe a facility could be implemented in Europe for such situations.Wishfull thinking !
tvenuto

Re: Spyderco closer to Europe

Post by tvenuto »

elena86 wrote:one exclusive dedicated dealer in Europe
I think that's actually your current issue. I might be totally off base, but I got to be under the impression that the larger number of distributors in the US was responsible for the deep discount off of MSRP that we get (and that Europeans do not).

I think the solution to the specific issues you mention (warranty, sharpening, etc) is actually a European Spyderco factory, and I agree with you that such a thing is probably wishful thinking.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

tvenuto wrote:
elena86 wrote:one exclusive dedicated dealer in Europe
I think that's actually your current issue. I might be totally off base, but I got to be under the impression that the larger number of distributors in the US was responsible for the deep discount off of MSRP that we get (and that Europeans do not).

I think the solution to the specific issues you mention (warranty, sharpening, etc) is actually a European Spyderco factory, and I agree with you that such a thing is probably wishful thinking.
Maybe a Spyderco workshop located somewhere in Europe would be more realistic ? Let's say....Amsterdam :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm fairly sure that the vast majority of valid warranty claims result in the knife being replaced, rather than repaired. If that's the case, it would seem to make sense for Spyderco to have someone in Europe authorized to accept and inspect knives being returned under warranty. Replacement though, may have to come direct from Golden. Contracting with someone to provide sharpening and/or "out of warranty" repair services might not be as practical.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Understand and appreciate Elena86's post.

For the last few years, I've bought Spydies only from US shops. Even with freight charges and german custom charges they were usually much cheaper than the same Spydies offered in Europe.

So far, I've never had so return a Spydie to Golden. To avoid having to pay german import taxes twice, I might have to jump through various official hoops before sending it to the US. I refuse to pay customs fees twice on the same knife. And let me tell you from personal experience, german officials can be quite daunting...

Good post, Elena86, but it will probably never happen!

Cheers,
skatenut
elena86

Post by elena86 »

skatenut wrote:Understand and appreciate Elena86's post.

For the last few years, I've bought Spydies only from US shops. Even with freight charges and german custom charges they were usually much cheaper than the same Spydies offered in Europe.

So far, I've never had so return a Spydie to Golden. To avoid having to pay german import taxes twice, I might have to jump through various official hoops before sending it to the US. I refuse to pay customs fees twice on the same knife. And let me tell you from personal experience, german officials can be quite daunting...

Good post, Elena86, but it will probably never happen!

Cheers,
skatenut
Thank you Skatenut for being with me on this one.Let's hope more european Spyderco lovers will join us and let's hope Spyderco will not dismiss the issue.It's hard being Spyderco fan and european in the same time.Let's not forget our aussie and kiwi brothers :)
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The question I have is why would european citizens allow their country to steal a second import fee on the same knife once it has been paid already? I understand import fees but not charging the fee a second time no matter how many times you return it for repair. What's up with that? Shipping fees are bad enough but the government stealing more money just because they can!?! Are you sure you actually have to? Isn't there a way to show it's yours and just being warranted?

joe
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It would make sense to do this in the future as Spyderco grows. Opening a small office in Czech Republic or Poland might be a good idea (skilled workforce, lax knife laws and corporation tax of about 19%).

European Union has a market of 550 million people vs. 320 million in the US and Canada

European courts are very powerful and would come down heavily on anyone importing Chinese knockoff's and Chinese companies making them

Knives from Asia could be sent directly to Europe and quality controlled here rather than sending them to the States and then on to Europe.

Access to European steel that they can then send to the US or Taiwan.

Easier to build new relationships with distributors and maintain relationships with existing distributors and dealers.

At the end of the day we will still have to pay VAT/sales tax (between 19-25% depending on country) but if costs can be lowered in other areas (ie import duties) then it will make life easier and probably grow the brand. Something Spyderco could do now is to convert their msrp's into Euro's and make dealers and distributors aware of them because there are some prices over here right now that would make a grown man faint :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are some of the better European steels used on Spyderco knives that would become more common on the blades, if Spyderco were to set up a factory in Europe? More Bohler based steels, and Sandvik?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Mastiff wrote:The question I have is why would european citizens allow their country to steal a second import fee on the same knife once it has been paid already? I understand import fees but not charging the fee a second time no matter how many times you return it for repair. What's up with that? Shipping fees are bad enough but the government stealing more money just because they can!?! Are you sure you actually have to? Isn't there a way to show it's yours and just being warranted?

joe
You should ask the same question to US custom :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Seems like it would also save money on the knives coming out of Italy if they could ship straight to a European distributor instead of routing them to the US first.

Until recently, I hadn't done international shipping for a couple years. I was in for quite a shock when I saw how expensive it is to ship internationally. I feel bad for you guys that have to send your knives in.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

elena86 wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:The question I have is why would european citizens allow their country to steal a second import fee on the same knife once it has been paid already? I understand import fees but not charging the fee a second time no matter how many times you return it for repair. What's up with that? Shipping fees are bad enough but the government stealing more money just because they can!?! Are you sure you actually have to? Isn't there a way to show it's yours and just being warranted?

joe
You should ask the same question to US custom :D
Some countries have a mechanism that allows repaired items to be returned to the original owner without additional fees. Some even have mechanisms where, if a knife was sent out of the country for modification, the owner would only be assessed a fee on the value of the work, not the value of the knife itself, when it came back. Those mechanism may be cumbersome, and they may not always well advertised, but the only way to know for sure if your country has such is to ask.

As for US Customs, I can only speak for my own experience. I've purchased some fairly expensive knives from Europe and had some I sent there for engraving returned to me. In most, if not all, cases the sellers have declared the knife's true value. A couple have been opened and inspected by US Customs and one got misplaced for a couple weeks, either by Customs or the USPS, but all eventually arrived and I've never had to pay a cent to US Customs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Dear Sal,
If you need someone to "mind the store" in Europe, I would like to apply for the job.
:D

~ Edge
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

On Edge wrote:Dear Sal,
If you need someone to "mind the store" in Europe, I would like to apply for the job.

~ Edge

Smile, great post :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You should ask the same question to US custom
I don't understand. I've never paid any fees on knives I've imported from Europe or Japan.I've never had any warranty work done so I can't comment on that.They seem more concerned from keeping contraband from getting in. Can you be more specific?

Joe
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

In Russia, the knives can be stored, wear, buy and sell, but can not be sent by mail. This is ridiculous! :D But the really serious problems with Spyderco not.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I've had a Spyderco warranty return from the UK to Golden, then back to me. No customs charges on import, the goods were declared as "Cutting tool repair" with value $1. You should never have to pay again if an item is exported then reimported. Worst case if the authority questioned it, you might need to show original sale paperwork either showing bought locally, or VAT/Duty paid on first import.
---------
Tony S
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Great post from Elena89, but there had recently something about it on BF forum. May be already with Elena89 with who I spoke about it.
I already said there that something in Europe would be really usefull and it would be benefic for :spyder: company ...
On Edge wrote:Dear Sal,

~ Edge
Same here ! :cool:
Look, I'm French :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Spydercos have always been ridiculously expensive here in Europe but the price trend of the last two years has been extreme.

For example:
Böker as one of the two official German distributors sell the Stretch 2 for the price of a small Sebenza, the Black Southard for the price of a large Sebenza 21 und for the price they want to have for the blue Chaparral 3 I can buy a small Sebenza with Devin Thomas Damascus in my local brick-and-mortar store.
And Böker's price for a regular VG-10 Delica is 124,95€, these are converted 145 US Dollars.

I have the feeling that the loyal Spyderco afis here in Europe do not belong to the buyer's target group of Spyderco anymore.
What can I say, it's a shame, but I have to live with it.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

A lot of wishful thinking, but I'll still apply for the wishful job for that Amsterdam location.. ;)
(the cleaning job would still be fine by me too)