How to best sharpen the SquareHead?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

How to best sharpen the SquareHead?

Post by iwolf81 »

Hello all,

So while I can use my SharpMaker to get most my Spydies sharp enough to easily shave arm hair, I am having a heck of a time getting the SquareHead even remotely sharp. I think the profile of the blade requires a different technique that I am unaware of. Can someone please advise?

Thanks,
Ira
bearfacedkiller

Re: How to best sharpen the SquareHead?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not have a squarehead but I would imagine that it would be a breeze to sharpen on a bench stone like most straight edge knives. Do you have any?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I believe the squarehead is a chisel grind correct? I would focus on the bevel side of the edge with very light deburring on the non-bevel side, something similar to sharpening a serrated edge blade.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

It is unlikely that the single chisel grind matches one of the Sharpmaker angles therefore a different technique has to be used :

-put the rods in the base and use them as a benchstone

-tilt the knife so that the angle matches the rods, or tile the sharpmaker so that it does

Grind mainly the chisel side and use the other side only as required to minimize/remove any burr/over grinding.