Old School SPYDERS: Appreciation Time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Old School SPYDERS: Appreciation Time

Post by JD Spydo »

Well a lot of you all are aware of the fact that most of my very favorite Spyderco models were out of what I've personally declared to be The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003. With all of the super collector pieces and highly wanted models for Sprint runs and not to mention many models that are still highly sought after from that era. Many from that era have become more people's favorite models and are still talked about and carried today. That ERA was definitely a big turning point in Spyderco's great history :cool: I truly believe it was that particular ERA that changed Spyderco's course much for the better and set the table for the greatness we are witnessing at this present time.

Some of my very favorite USERS out of the GOLDEN ERA are the C-60 Ayoob, the C-54 big Calypso, The C-46 Lum Tanto, The JD Smith and the C-44 Dyad which changed many people's view of double bladed premium folders as well as many others we all chat about from time to time. Oh did I forget to mention the Spyderhawk :rolleyes: ?

I say it's high time we show our appreciation for the great Spyderco models from that era and please tell us which ones you like the most and why. Also which ones would you all want to see in upcoming Sprint runs and which blade steel and handle material you would desire if you want something different than what was on the original model?

Also maybe some of you all would like to see some of those models reincarnated in the H-1 Salt Series? OK let's chat about OLD SCHOOL SPYDERS shall we?
JAfromMN

Re: Old School SPYDERS: Appreciation Time

Post by JAfromMN »

Id like to see this one brought back in 100%H1

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

You know me, I am down with the Golden Era Spyders. Love the Lil Temps. One of the coolest folding knives ever built.

Then of course my collection knives are all Golden Era if I am correct. The 25th Anniversary Delicas, Jess Horns, and my Walker carbon fiber.

I think because of this thread I am going to put the Lil Temp in my pocket for a couple of days. I am really waiting for the new Lil Temp to carry! It looks like a winner.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Lil Temps! Pure golden age goodness.
Attachments
IMG_3479.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

I miss the Lil Temp, one of the few I regret getting rid of when I liquidated my collection of anything I didn't carry at least once a week.

The new one has me skeptical. The more rounded handle just doesn't seem like it's going to lock into my hand the same way. We'll see....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:The Lil Temps! Pure golden age goodness.
Well Archimedes I'm definitely on the same page you're on with the Lil Temperance models>> the RHINO HORN version of the Lil T was truly my top pick all the way> the one that I EDCed for almost 6 months was a Rhino Horn version and I just loved the configuration of that curved point. Nothing against the leaf blade version either because it was spawned off my beloved favorite Spyderco fixed blade which is my TEMPERANCE 1 model which in turn was the idea for a lot of IN HOUSE Spyders that the Glesser team so eloquently designed.

I'm just kind of angry and disappointed that they never did the Rhino Horn version in Spyderedge>> I just know in my gut that would have been one bad Pitt Bull of a knife had they ever did one in Spyderedge. I did however have a Spyderedged leaf blade version for a while and it was one mean blade I'm here to tell you>> if I could score another Spyderedged Leaf Blade Lil Temperance I would probably retire my 440V, SE Native that I so much rely on.

If they do bring back the Lil T like they've been saying for about 4 years or so I do hope they include the RHINO HORN version>> and a Spyderedged Rhino Horn would truly be the "Cat's Meow"!! Great pic of your super collection of Lil T models>> truly one of the super icon's of the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS 1998-2003
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

JAfromMN wrote:Id like to see this one brought back in 100%H1

That is such a cool concept. The 100% H1 knife. I am seriously liking the idea.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm actually on the hunt for some of these golden age pieces Joe, one I would really like to snag is a JD Smith micarta, the SE model especially, it just looks so awesome. I'd also love to pick up a Lum tanto sprint for a reasonable price.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I am pretty sure these are Golden age. There are few knives that have captivated me over the many years like these ones. The Damascus bolsters.... :)
Attachments
P1011559.jpg
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Archimedes wrote:

Please Sal

Make us a all h1 pointy serrated endura .

Please
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I believe that a good part of my collection would qualify as from the "Golden Age."

I have said it many a time, and I will say it again: I really want a gen 2 Catcherman with bi-directional FRN, FFG VG10 (spyder edge and plain edge), and a 4-position metal clip. I realize that it would require new FRN molds, but hey, so did the original Catcherman. Lots of people seem to enjoy the larger blades (Military, K2, Tatanka), and a "slicey" option with and without serrations would be a great addition to the lineup, IMO. I know it doesn't necessarily fall in your time period, but I think it still deserves recognition.

Catcherman--mine is yellow and SE

Also, a sprint run of the C25 and C50 Centofantes would be superb. Maybe Super Blue blades (PE) and grey G10 handles? The old Centofantes are wonderful knives, and I think that a sprint would be well received.

Here are the Centofantes. C50 first, C25 second.

Here are a few of some other favorites from the Golden Era...

C27 Jess Horn--the hole-less classic, this one is, IMHO, the epitome of Spyderco's gents folders in the Golden Age.

C22 Swiss-made Michael Walker--many would argue that this would be the best high-end piece from the Golden Age. I love how lightweight it is!

C63 Chinook 1--opposite end of the spectrum from the above two...what a beast of a knife!'

C65 Bob Lum--mine is in blue, which (besides being my favorite color) seems to be at least a little on the rare side.

C82 D'allara Resuce--the World Trade Center version may be one of my most special Spydercos. It is very nicely executed, and the cause is deserving.

Lil' Temp--I like this one, but since I own a Golden-made original, I will probably pass on the new one.

This list could go on and on...but I'll spare you of having to scroll past anymore pictures. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:I am pretty sure these are Golden age. There are few knives that have captivated me over the many years like these ones. The Damascus bolsters.... :)
Those 25th anniversary Delica models I'm 99% sure were issued in 2003 ( the final year of the Golden Era) and I distinctly remember everybody scrambling to get one of those>> they actually went more crazy over those than they did the commemorative 9-11 WTC blades. I can't remember off the top of my head which blade steel they used on those 25th anniversary Delica models but those handles are really gorgeous not to mention the damascus bolsters.

2003 was truly a banner year>> it was also the year of the Dodo, Chinook and Ti ATR all coming out. There were so many super classy models during the GOLDEN ERA.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well GOLDENSPYDIE I think that the yellow Catcherman ( AUS-8 version), C-27 Jess Horn and CF Michael Walker were all either 1997 or earlier I'm 99% sure of that>> I think that yellow handled Catcherman was even mid 90s from what I read in the book "The Spyderco Story" by Kenneth Delavigne. But all the others you have put up are GOLDEN ERA for sure

But what the heck as great as those models were I'm going to cheat and claim them for the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS>> because on the flip side there are some 2004 models I would like to include like the IMPalA, The TEMPERANCE 1, and Yojimbo 1.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I only have one from that era, a JD Smith. I believe the ATS 34 SE combo on this model was quite rare, because production changed to VG10 soon afterwards.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wow, I don't have many from that era. My first was a clipit Rescue (FRN) that I eventually lost. I also picked up a GIN-1 Native which probably won't turn many heads here but was an important knife for Spyderco.

My wife gave me a Harpy for a wedding present which I really didn't appreciate until recently. Unfortunately I don't find hawkbills to be all that useful. But it's a cool knife.

This year I picked up a stainless Rescue Jr in ATS-55 (awesome knife) and a stainless Police. The Police just arrived today and I'm blown away by how gigantic it is.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:Wow, I don't have many from that era. My first was a clipit Rescue (FRN) that I eventually lost. I also picked up a GIN-1 Native which probably won't turn many heads here but was an important knife for Spyderco.

My wife gave me a Harpy for a wedding present which I really didn't appreciate until recently. Unfortunately I don't find hawkbills to be all that useful. But it's a cool knife.

This year I picked up a stainless Rescue Jr in ATS-55 (awesome knife) and a stainless Police. The Police just arrived today and I'm blown away by how gigantic it is.
Yeah you do have at least one from that ERA "Zhyla">> your stainless Rescue Jr. is out of the Golden Era Of Spyders for sure>> all of the ATS-55 Spyders are out of the GOLDEN ERA just like my C-44 Dyad and my lost G-10 Harpy :( both ATS-55 as well.

I think a lot of people have GOLDEN ERA Spyders and don't even realize it. I guess I need to go get my older catalogs from my storage unit and compile a list of them.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I really think that the Golden Era should be extended to 2004 to include the WTC, PM1, etc.

I think the original Persian might qualify, having been released in late 2003 according to Spydiewiki...

Sorry, the small is in there too, but I don't have a different picture. Large Persian is the top one.

I couldn't find a release date for the Vesuvius...anyone remember when this one was made?
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Archimedes wrote:

JAfromMN wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

Please Sal

Make us a all h1 pointy serrated endura .

Please

This topic has sort of come up in the past, and it has been verified that 1) it would cost a LOT of money because of the price and manufacturing cost of H1, and 2) there isn't a need for the handle to even be H1 in the first place, because there are plenty of steels out there that resist rust as well as H1. H1 is used for blades because it also holds a decent edge, while those other steels are merely as rust resistant as H1 and do not hold an edge.

Personally, I would just as well like to see an H1 blade paired with a titanium handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are a lot that I admire but really don't care to own, because they either aren't something I would use or because I won't pay secondary "collector" prices for them and I have a problem with using knives that can't be easily replaced.

That said, I would love to see a SE JD Smith sprint, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the original compression lock Vesuvius brought back with some updates/improvements to the lock and in G10. And, if that same knife were also offered in a wharnie version like the Centofante 4, I would be soooo happy.