Where can I get some pocket clips custom made for these Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JimJones

Where can I get some pocket clips custom made for these Spydercos?

Post by JimJones »

Hey guys
I've been bitten by the knife bug and have been going kind of crazy buying knives lately. In my opinion a couple of the coolest knives I have bought recently are these Spydercos with damascus blades and jigged bone handles. Two of them are Enduras and the other one is a Delica. I absolutely love these knives and really want to carry them but they don’t have any clips on them so as the thread title says do any of you guys know of anybody that specializes in making custom pocket clips for knives?

What I was thinking was to somehow modify the lanyard holes on these knives. I was thinking to have them threaded so they would be like a "barrel screw" and then have somebody that knows what they are doing mill two small notches in the bone handles to be able to accept a Spyderco wire clip.
If any of you guys out there have a Spyderco with a wire clip you will know what I'm talking about. I might try to take a couple of pics to explain if needed.

With such beautiful handles I really would prefer the wire clip vs. a traditional simply for the fact that the wire clip will obscure less of the handle.
I was thinking the easy way to do this would be to have the bolsters drilled and tapped but I greatly prefer tip up carry so that is why I was thinking of going with the modified lanyard hole method.

Can any of you guys recommend me somebody that does this kind of custom work?

Cliff Stamp

Re: Where can I get some pocket clips custom made for these Spydercos?

Post by Cliff Stamp »

There are all kinds of modders some even specialize in clips. I have seen STR's work and it is pretty decent :

- http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say the prefered person to help you would be Steve.

http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot. ... lding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Spyderco will replace broken integral FRN clips with metal clips for $20 plus $5 shipping according to the warranty information. Don't know if they would put metal clips on custom scales.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Steve Rice (STR) makes some great looking clips. So does "theoriginalspaceman" but I don't think either of them make wire clips.

I'm also of the opinion that, since mounting a wire clip would require milling grooves in the bone to anchor it, there's a fair chance that side loads on the wire will break out pieces of the bone. espeically "above" the lanyard hole.

An alternative solution might be finding a sheath maker to make you a "William Henry Clipcase" style pocket sheath.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

The Deacon wrote:Steve Rice (STR) makes some great looking clips. So does "theoriginalspaceman" but I don't think either of them make wire clips.

I'm also of the opinion that, since mounting a wire clip would require milling grooves in the bone to anchor it, there's a fair chance that side loads on the wire will break out pieces of the bone. espeically "above" the lanyard hole.

An alternative solution might be finding a sheath maker to make you a "William Henry Clipcase" style pocket sheath.

just did a quick google on William Henry Clipcase and i would love something like that in blue stingray with orange stiching. any sources of who does this kind of work?
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

I've seen SRT from searching Google but I think he only makes clips. I don’t think he modifies knives
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

JimJones wrote: just did a quick google on William Henry Clipcase and i would love something like that in blue stingray with orange stiching. any sources of who does this kind of work?

I never liked clip cases. The knife tends to slip out of my pocket if the case isn't a tight fit and the clip isn't stiff (especially for heavier knives like yours). Every time I give the case a try again, I always end up un-clipping it and pocketing it as a whole.