Ex Para2 fans converted to Manix2 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Ex Para2 fans converted to Manix2 LW

Post by elena86 »

I was and still am a Para2 fan but... when Manix2 LW was released and I balanced one in my hand, something happened( it was in CTS-BD1 steel with black FRCP handle).I was never a fan of Manix design and platform and I never bought one ever since.It was too bulky and too heavy for my taste and for my pocket.Maybe because the first Manix that I tested was a G10 Manix2 with a 154CM hollow grind blade.I moved away and bought another Para2 :).But that LW Manix2 was an epiphany for me.It was not mine, but the guy who owned it wanted to sell it.I asked permission to carry it for one or two days and he agreed.I am not an OCD buyer but by the end of the two days I just knew I had to buy the knife.I came to apreciate the great ergos behind the choil of the Manix and even the full leaf shape blade with that slight curvature of the cutting edge.And the name doesn't do justice to the knive.They should've named it the Featherweight Manix2 :).Later on, I purchased a CPM Cruwear Manix2 sprint and the LW S110V version and things became even more complicated for my beloved flawless blue G10 Para2 in M390 :o. Interesting enough, I watched quite a few youtube reviews and read a few blog reviews on the LW Manix2 and those guys declare that they were Para2 fans but the LW Manix2 platform changed the "Manix paradigma" for them also,if I may say so.I'm not declaring myself a "converted" but from a former Manix " hater" I became a Manix2 admirer.Miracles do happen in the Spyderworld :eek:
Last edited by elena86 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
spydieh0le

Re: Ex Para2 fans converted to Manix2 LW

Post by spydieh0le »

Manix and Manix 2 FTW!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

:D Manix2 for life ! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not just a member of this club, I may as well be the president. For me it was only partly the LW, it was the change to S30V and FFG on the standard model that pushed me over the edge. I wasn't interested in the LW until it got S110V, then it caught my attention. It really makes me wonder what the Manix 2 would be like with sketonized AND nested liners like the Para 2 has...might shed a little more weight and be around the same as the Para 2.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I went through something similar. I abandoned my old Manix2 for a PM2 and never looked back, then the S110V Manix2 LW entered my life! Conflict ensued...peace talks established...I now carry both! All is right in the world. :)

Dan
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:......It really makes me wonder what the Manix 2 would be like with sketonized AND nested liners like the Para 2 has...might shed a little more weight and be around the same as the Para 2.
You nailed it ! It would be around 4.5 oz.like my Cruwear Manix is.I wonder why don't they just do it :confused:
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Evil D wrote:I'm not just a member of this club, I may as well be the president. For me it was only partly the LW, it was the change to S30V and FFG on the standard model that pushed me over the edge. I wasn't interested in the LW until it got S110V, then it caught my attention. It really makes me wonder what the Manix 2 would be like with sketonized AND nested liners like the Para 2 has...might shed a little more weight and be around the same as the Para 2.

I second you nomination. I also think a skeleton, nested Manix would be perfection maybe M390 or M4.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting. I had the original blue LW for a short time and never really fell in love with it. I think one of my problems with the manix is how much pocket space it eats up. I don't know...I might have to give the model another chance one day.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:Interesting. I had the original blue LW for a short time and never really fell in love with it. I think one of my problems with the manix is how much pocket space it eats up. I don't know...I might have to give the model another chance one day.
I know what you mean. I had initially really wanted to like this design--maybe even fall in love with it, but it really never grew on me. :( I'll probably have some rotten tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but what about making a smaller (e.g. 2.5" blade) Manix, like a JR size? Yeah, I imagine the ergos would change and the grip would need to be tweaked, but I could certainly see myself carrying a smaller version.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm sort of in this club, but the timing screwed it all up for me.

I think when I started, the Para 1 was out and it was a nice knife, but it wasn't on the Para 2 or Manix 2 level.

The Manix 2 came out (standard production), I got one, loved it. I think I skipped the Carbon Fiber version because it was too expensive. The Blue and Green sprints came out, I jumped on some long pre-orders. The Sprints with skeletonized liners came out, I loved them even more for being lighter and felt just as strong. I think I abandoned the Manix 2 Production models favoring the light weight.

After that, the Para 2 came out and I never really fell in love with it because I was already knee deep in Manix 2's.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:Interesting. I had the original blue LW for a short time and never really fell in love with it. I think one of my problems with the manix is how much pocket space it eats up. I don't know...I might have to give the model another chance one day.
Lance, 2.9 ounces man ! You won't even know it's in your pocket.Two days ago I fell asleep on my couch with my LW Manix2 in the right front pocket of my blue jeans :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:
Lance, 2.9 ounces man ! You won't even know it's in your pocket.Two days ago I fell asleep on my couch with my LW Manix2 in the right front pocket of my blue jeans :)
I think it was the width more than the weight. Like I said though, I probably didn't give it a fair chance.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I went the other way. At one point I was extremely committed to the M2. Eventually the edge-to-spine dimension got to me and the PM2 filled that niche perfectly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JNewell wrote:I went the other way. At one point I was extremely committed to the M2. Eventually the edge-to-spine dimension got to me and the PM2 filled that niche perfectly.
Yes, this is another area where I lean towards the pm2 and millie.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

For me it's the grip. Blade on both are great I even like the Para a little more. It's the M2 ergonomics that just fits my hand like a glove it's exactly how I want a knife handle in all grips. That's what won me over I would like the G10 M2 lighter but no changes to the design.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:
JNewell wrote:I went the other way. At one point I was extremely committed to the M2. Eventually the edgee-to-spine dimension got to me and the PM2 filled that niche perfectly.
Yes, this is another area where I lean towards the pm2 and millie.
Agree.It's just that the lightweight almost compensates the width.But I have to admit that, compared to Para2, M2 is just...ugly, specialy when it's closed.Where M2 really shines is the ergos behind the choil.Para2 is slender,more versatile,and the comp lock is awesome.All in all, if I had to chose one, I'd stick with one of my Para2's.And things may change dramatically because the Cruwear Milie is on the way. :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like both and carry both. I had a PM2 first, then I got interested in the M2 and bought the 154CM hollow ground model. It was heavier than the PM2 and I wasn't impressed initially, but after using it awhile I really liked it as a work knife. I got more of them, including the Cruwear version which I'm carrying now. I was not interested in the LW model until I felt one in person, and since the S110V model was coming out at the same time I had to have one. And of course eventually I got the M2 XL, and a Military. They are all slightly different but I like them all. Right now my favorite might be the XL. I've always said that the PM2 makes the best EDC knife and the G10 Manix 2 makes the best work knife, especially in M4 or Cruwear, and the XL is the most fun.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like the PM2 but the M2 fits my hand much better. There is an XL in my local B&M I am drooling over, but I am not sold on the LW as of yet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

"Compared to Para2, M2 is just...ugly, specialy when it's closed.Where M2 really shines is the ergos behind the choil.Para2 is slender"

How dare you sir! :mad: You can keep your anorexic Para that only eats Ice chips and organic tofu. ;) The M2 is built for comfort with an athletic build curvy and beautiful. :D
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

In some ways I agree, love the Para. Find myself loving the lw manix also. But it doesn't replace the Para 2 in my heart. Another issue is the cbb lock. It makes sense in an extreme duty knife. But it's significantly harder to operate than the compression lock