The Spyderco Senior think tank

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joris Mo

Re: The Spyderco Senior think tank

Post by Joris Mo »

Flipper only if it stays out of the way, mainly in open position, flippers will always get in the way when closed. ;)
From a commercial point of view it might be a good idea to go with a flipper, they seem to be very popular.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Man it sounds like a different knife now. I would stay as true to the orig as possible mostly because it is such a great design. Of course I am only an end user and have zero design/mfg experience on knife matters.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:Man it sounds like a different knife now. I would stay as true to the orig as possible mostly because it is such a great design. Of course I am only an end user and have zero design/mfg experience on knife matters.
Man, you can't submit a "what if" idea without getting bombarded with a bunch of ideas that take it waaaay out into left field lol. There are always a bunch who want it with a specific steel, in a specific color G10, etc etc. Can't please everyone.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Joshua J. wrote:Just to throw something out there, what if the flipper was functional as an opener while the knife is closed but covered by the handle while the knife is in the open position?
You could just about sneak a tiny flipper into the existing handle shape.
You would need to move the stop pin forward, which means the locking tab would need to be rotated a bit, but theoretically (I think) it could be done.
The biggest problem would be deciding if that's where you want the lock release, and I don't think Sal has done anything like that before so it would be an engineering challenge.
Just a thought.
Hello Joshua, thank for your input.
The flipper is conceived in such a manner that won't hang to your clothes. It's rounded and discrete, yet easy to access and use. The lock remains basicaly the same, no additional muscle memory training needed. If you are used to the Paramillie, you won't have any problems with this one.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Flipper and compression lock seem like a perfect pair it's like this is what it was made for. Also if you didn't like the flipper you could just grind it off.
Fodinski

Post by Fodinski »

This sounds really interesting. I like the idea of a flipper, but would hope to retain the option of opening with the hole. I initially thought the idea of a flipper wouldn't work with the compression lock because the finger would slide on the lock release when you flip it open (which might not be comfortable for your flipper finger). That said, I am definitely excited about the prospect of a Senior. I think the Junior is a fantastic knife with a bunch of great design features to build off.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Just a larger Junior for me, not a flipper guy
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just now realized what this thread is about, and what "Senior" refers to in the title!!? :confused: :eek:

I had previously avoided the thread thinking that it was some sort of discussion only for some of the OG members who had been around here for many years, lol... :o

dialex wrote:Hello guys, thank BRJ for this thread and to you all for your valuable input. :)
Truth is, I've been working on the Senior project for some time and the work is almost finished. Don't expect an enlarged Junior though. Although you may notice some familiar feats, it's without doubt the adult rated version of the knife. You may choose between two blade shapes (drop point like the Junior, or Bowie style - no wharnie, sorry Evil D) and it may sport even a flipper (which is rounded and discrete in closed position and pretty functional when open).
For me, the only question that remains is: "Shall I keep the flipper or not?"

Wow, this sounds amazing!
I'm a huge fan of the Junior!

For me personally, if the Spyderhole is accessible and it's relationship to the pivot is good, then the hole flick makes a Flipper basically a moot point and just a bit of a gimmick addition. If needed, I can flick open a Compression-lock knife with a Spyderhole just as fast and instinctual as a Flipper. But it also gives me the choice to open the knife discreetly, slowly and quietly.

On the other hand, if it is designed as a Flipper from the beginning like the thin Southard designs, and the Spyderhole is small or inaccessible, then a Flipper sounds like a good idea.

Maybe even try a front Flipper so there isn't a kicker nub sticking out...
Going back to Caly.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

No flipper for me, thanks. Yes to compression lock and larger size. Big opening hole, yes. Love the natural guard and lack of choil. My 2 cents.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bill1170 wrote:No flipper for me, thanks. Yes to compression lock and larger size. Big opening hole, yes. Love the natural guard and lack of choil. My 2 cents.
+ 1. My exact feelings also.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The comp lock seemed weak on that one, and I realy didn't like the deep "choil" deal on it. I tried to like it - even made it into a clip point, but didn't use it at all. Felt so wrong in my hands.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I just want a sprint in a cooler steel and earth tone G10
brj

Post by brj »

tvenuto wrote:The unfortunate thing is that people don't know you're requesting the Ouroboros, by Paul Alexander, which was shown at this and previous Amsterdam meets. I posted about it here. It shares the Junior's thin handle with a guard and a wide and upswept blade, but was larger. The version we handled didn't have a lock, but it was mentioned that the Comp lock would be used due to its compact size. There was a similar knife called the Piratta, which was larger and even more upswept, but I preferred the Ouroboros.
I think it's safe to say that neither the Ouroboros nor the Pattada are filling the "Senior" niche discussed here. While the Ouroboros does share the same profile, it is more akin to Junior's own specs. The Pattada is slighly larger, but I see no similarity with the Junior's overall shape.

So can we please get back on track here? All in favor of a larger Junior say 'Aye' :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

twinboysdad wrote:I just want a sprint in a cooler steel and earth tone G10
Same here. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

HAP40 Junior XL? mmmmmmmmmm, yeeeeeees.
Please.
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like this design so much, I'd be happy having a larger version in good old VG10. Of course I'd be down with a flipper and some fancy alphabet steel, but I've loved this design from the day I first saw the rendering let alone the prototype or production version...the thing is just too small for my hand though. If they made one just like it but extended the blade and handle by about 1/2 inch I'd be all over it. I'm not really a big fan of up swept blades like this one has, but I'd make an exception if the size was right.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, the knife is called the "junior" after all. So, it is going to fit smaller hands. Those of us who are more mature often have much larger hands and the Junior does not fit very well. Even the BM Mini Grip is a 3 finger knife for me. The Delica, though, is pretty good. I would love to see this exact knife (Junior) made a bit longer in handle. If the blade were a tad longer that would be a plus, but in some places longer than 3 inches is problematic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

brj wrote:\
So can we please get back on track here? All in favor of a larger Junior say 'Aye' :)
Aye!

I would would prefer one without a flipper, but probably not a deal breaker. I really like the present blade shape and would be happy with VG-10. And please keep the wire clip. The combination of VG-10, compression lock, and wire clip are great on the Superleaf, which is a pretty senior knife ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No flipper. It's not necessary on a well designed knife and can limit one's options.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

And by the way, any time Spyerco wants to start a think tank for us seniors, I'd love to volunteer my services !! ;) :D :spyder:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.