Writing on the wall

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Writing on the wall

Post by MichaelScott »

Driving home today from a visit to our daughter in Boulder, my car somehow turned into the SFO parking lot. So, reading the writing on the wall, so to speak, we went inside, had a cup of cold orange water (yes, real oranges), checked out all the knives I plan to someday get, bought a couple of small items and turned over my PM 2 for sharpening. Leaving, I stopped to read three small framed statements on the wall.

Now, I retired from the corporate world and have been forced to participate in far too many meetings on "mission statements", company visions and similar clap trap. We should have just called up Sal and said, "Please send these to us." (See below.)

However, such notions and principles need to flow from core beliefs and tenaciously held values. These statements define what I respect in Spyderco's values and products.

Well done, Spyderco gang!

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Re: Writing on the wall

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes sir, and that is why I am here. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It's really neat to see that Spyderco "walks what they talk," unlike many other businesses in the world today. This is likely one of the main reasons they are so very successful today. Kudos to Sal, Eric, and Crew!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Those who know carry spyderco!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spyderco is the BEST.

Wow, if only more companies would operate like that....

Those are the best mission and vision statements Ive ever saw....
sal

Post by sal »

Thank you Michael.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

" Very high ethical standards ".Enough said .
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I first saw a Spyderco in the movie Clifhanger,i think in '93 or '94.It was a serated Endura and i was going:''WOW,what an amaizing knife!''I didnt know squat about Spyderco but i loved knives since i was a boy,ans since then i wished i had one knife just like that one.It took about 15 years for my dream to came true,but now i have 2 Delicas,2 Enduras,1 PM,1 Native,2 DF a Tenacious and i keep hunting for Spydercos.Meanwhile i had the ocasion to handle many high end knives,even some customs,but for me,nothing came even close to my beloved bug.Thanks,Sal!
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
v8r

Post by v8r »

It's amazing how using ethical business practices will get you farther than unethical ones. Most companies do not realise this.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've seen so much pretty writing that meant very little. This seems to be more of a rules for life than a flowery statement written by someone who writes to impress.

For sure it will be a hard act to follow for future Spyderco chiefs. It makes me feel good that Eric will be around in the future after Sal really retires. As I understand it Gail is a large part of it as well we will see continuity.

That statement is as far as I would ever feel comfortable delving into their personal matters. It just isn't my business but I will add that Sal's presence on the forums as a face for Spyderco will be huge shoes to follow in. In that no one does better than Sal current and by a large margin. The gold standard! :)

Joe
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

"... Recognizing that good fortune must be shared to be effective."

That's the line that got my attention. I also spent many years at a management level involved with large, successful firms. Some of them were outstanding. Some not so much. But across the board, keeping focus on your people, and recognizing them as your most valuable asset - really understanding that, not just saying it - THAT was the discriminator between success and failure.

Sal Glesser is clearly a wise man, and as such he has fostered those values, ensuring enduring success in the truest sense.

Seeing the 'good guys' enjoying success bodes well for us as a people. It's got me smiling for sure.

~ Edge
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do like other knife companies, well, two, but I love Spyderco and that is why I buy so many of them. This is the best of the best when it comes to companies and products. One day, if I live long enough, I may make it back home and I will visit Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Keep it up guys & girls!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Spyderco seems like the most upstanding company I've ever bought stuff from. I'm sure there is always pressure to compromise on that and they don't seem to.

That said, all mission statements make me want to gag. :)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

MichaelScott wrote:...Now, I retired from the corporate world and have been forced to participate in far too many meetings on "mission statements", company visions and similar clap trap. We should have just called up Sal and said, "Please send these to us." (See below.)

However, such notions and principles need to flow from core beliefs and tenaciously held values. These statements define what I respect in Spyderco's values and products.

Well done, Spyderco gang!
Thanks for sharing these. As another corporate world retire I can say there are many excellent and similar statements, goals etc, published by other companies. What makes Spyderco's different from all the others? The Spyderco family does their best to follow them, they are not just ink on a page or a poster on the wall. They also make and sell excellent knives.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.