Spyderwrench owners club

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Spyderwrench owners club

Post by JAfromMN »

Welcome fellow spyderwrench owners.
This is a easy club to join. Post a pic of your spyderwrench and your in :)

I'd like a place for us to lucky owners to post our pics so we can all see each others tools.

Image Image Image

This thing is a piece of art as much as it is a tool to me.

I've only had mine for 5 years or so but I wanted one since I see it in the old catalog that came with one of my first spyders in the 90s.
I got lucky and found one.

Sal and staff can design as nice of tools as they can knives.

Who else is a lucky owner of this piece functional art.

It's one of the rare tools that are as good looking as it is a great tool to use.

I need to get a backup for it one day. I don't use mine often so it stays nice until I do. It's that cool of tool.

irreplaceable like my ptx piranha.

Theses two work great together.

Last edited by JAfromMN on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dubya3

Re: Spyderwrench owners club

Post by dubya3 »

I think I need one!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

dubya3 wrote:I think I need one!
I know you do.

everyone does :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Mine had a broken tip when I got it, so it is now modified. Not the best of my pictures, but here you go:

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have one, but not in my hands right now...
Reject

Post by Reject »

I'm Image in.

How much can a Koala bear?
paladin

Post by paladin »

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is my SpydeRench.

It has a pocket clip. It also came with a belt pouch.

Knife blade open. This multi-tool has IMO the strongest knife blade pivot when compared to the other multi-tools I've had. This came as a combo edge blade but I "sharpened" the serrations away leaving a plain edge.

When you pivot the handles all the way around they lock into a 7" long adjustable wrench.

When you separate the handles you have an adj. wrench and a screwdriver. This is a feature that is extremely useful. The handle holds 4 standard 1/4" bits of your choice. This versatility is also a feature I love and haven't seen on any other multi-tool I've used. In the bottom handle you can see the blade pivot. The blade is held on with a "jesus" clip. Why is it called a "jesus" clip? Because you should have a tool to remove these things but when you don't have the proper tool handy you try using a small screwdriver or two. Just as the clip opens up it shoots across the room and you say "JESUS! help me find it". :) I don't remember the actual name of the clip. The point is you can remove the blade if you need to. You shouldn't need to but you can.

Mine has an AUS-8 blade steel.

This multi-tool is very, very different than any other I've owned. I also have a SOG Powerlock and the two together give you almost any tool you would find in a general purpose tool box. The thing I use most I think on any multi-tool is the needle nose pliers. I almost never carry a multi-tool with me. But it is interesting how often I am doing something and wish I had one on me. These two mulit-tools are not competitors. The areas the SpydeRench excel the PowerLock is useless and the areas the PowerLock excels (needle nose) the SpydeRench doesn't have. Both are capable of using standard 1/4" sockets. You just need the 1/4" hex to 1/4" square socket adapter for the SpydeRench.

The SpydeRench is one of the tools I don't use all that often but am very glad when it's there. Like any multi-tool it is easy to carry if you want to. Plus it has a pocket clip if you don't want to use the pouch. I have sold or traded a lot of knives based on how often I carry them. If I applied that thinking to the SpydeRench I probably would have let it go a long time ago. But, it comes in so handy when I do need it I'll keep it. Also, If I were to carry a multi-tool because I needed one on a daily basis I would carry the SpydeRench. I might also carry another multi-tool also but I KNOW I would have the SpydeRench on me somewhere. As I said before, the SpydeRench is so much different than other multi-tools they compliment each other. You would use them together. It isn't like you would have two of the same tool in your pocket.

Jack
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

In my bag as I type :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have one of the original USA made, 440C bladed units just like the one you have pictured above in the opening post. I've used mine over the years along with my Victorinox SWISS TOOL X.

I've never owned one of the later units and I would imagine that the original USA made Spyderench units are getting tough to find if not virtually impossible. It's truly one of the extremely unique products that only Spyderco would come up with over the years.

I believe it was the 2001 Spyderco dealer's catalog where I first ever knew of it's existence. The Spyderench was truly unique in the world of multi-tools.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Yeah, I've seen them pop up on the secondary market at about 400 bucks a pop. I've never seen one sell at that price so I don't know where they come up with it. Since I first saw one I wanted it, but more along the lines of 100 to 150 bucks is what's reasonable to me. Sadly Sal said that there are no plans to bring it back.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Nice tools everyone.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Truly as much as I like the SPYDERENCH I truly do wish that they would come up with another type of multi-tool. I wish they would draw up plans for a multi-tool that is more "survival-prepper" oriented. I truly believe that the market is ripe for a multi-tool which would have firestarting tools as well as having a tool that you can sharpen other blades with as well as some type of a tool that would have the ability to cut metal with.

It could be a SPYDERENCH II that would have a completely different set of tools. Also I don't know of many ( if any) non-Spyderco people that ever bought and used the SPYDERENCH :confused: .

However the original SPYDERENCH did have tools that your conventional/popular multi-tools didn't have which would make one think that it would be attractive to the overall multitool market for that reason alone.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'd really like to see Sal design a tool to work with the spyderwrench. Scissors, saw, pry tool/can opener, serrated blade.
I carry a vic huntsman alot with my spyderwrench but it's two plane edge blades are kinda redundant.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Nobody has posted my grail spyderwrench.

A fully serrated one.

I'll find one I can afford one day
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JAfromMN wrote:Nobody has posted my grail spyderwrench.

A fully serrated one.

Well, technically, Jack already posted one--although he ground the teeth off. :eek: ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

SpyderNut wrote:

A fully serrated one.

Well, technically, Jack already posted one--although he ground the teeth off. :eek: ;)

That was combo edge so he is forgiven.

I wouldn't have done it though.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JAfromMN wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

A fully serrated one.

That was combo edge so he is forgiven.

I wouldn't have done it though.

Nor would I. ;) Jack's got more guts than I do. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I have one in my collection, pictured here with the rest of the metal handled spydies.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Echo63 wrote:I have one in my collection, pictured here with the rest of the metal handled spydies.

Nice collection.

Not one in the bunch I wouldn't love to own.

:cool: