Pacific Salt praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Pacific Salt praise

Post by vivi »

Yep, I use that sideways grip / pinch grip whenever I do food prep, but for most general utility cutting I use the grip I showed above.

I'm sure there's precisely 0 people on this forum that enjoyed hearing this record repeat :p
:unicorn
Higher

Post by Higher »

pacific salt gorgeous knife!
And how can I make out the first generation?

thanks
Viacheslav
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Higher wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 pm

thanks
Viacheslav
the difference is in the handle mostly.

the first gen has spyderco's older texturing, differently spaced finger grooves, a more squared off end, and the old barrel screw pocket clip.

the pacific salt 2 handle looks just like a current endura 4 handle.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

I couldn't decide, so I'm all in. Carried one knife as a FF for 25 yrs a gen 3 Endura. Retired now fish a lot why not stay with a grip I like. Hope pic shows up
Imagehttps://i.postimg.cc/SQwppdxH/IMG-3230.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I just wanted to point out once more how light the Pac Salt really is for its size and capabilities.

People who like the Manix 2 LW for being a large knife, but with ultra light weight should really also look into the Pac Salt as an alternative or additional option. Pac Salt 2 even lighter than the Manix LW (2.8 vs 3 oz), but a lot more actual edge

I am glad that I own both models (Pac Salt 1 though) :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I miss Vivi and SEF. :(

...And Cliff Stamp for that matter.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:20 pm
I miss Vivi and SEF. :(

...And Cliff Stamp for that matter.
Me too!

BTW, Cliff just posted a couple new YouTube videos. First one in a year. Good stuff.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:55 am
I just wanted to point out once more how light the Pac Salt really is for its size and capabilities.

People who like the Manix 2 LW for being a large knife, but with ultra light weight should really also look into the Pac Salt as an alternative or additional option. Pac Salt 2 even lighter than the Manix LW (2.8 vs 3 oz), but a lot more actual edge

I am glad that I own both models (Pac Salt 1 though) :)
i keep telling everyone they make a great edc pair!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I also need to sing the Pac Salt praise! I picked on up last week when in Foley, AL at St. Nick knives, and it was the original Pac Salt that was discontinued last year! What struck me:

1. As Warstein said, how lightweight it is! It really isn’t appreciably heavier than the Salt 2, but so much blade!
2. The design. I now understand lockbacks and their advantage. It’s so lightweight since there are no liners! So if it was a liner lock, or comply lock, there would need to be at least partial liners. I also never understood the lack of the blade going all the way back on the Endurance and Delica. I ignorantly thought, “If I have that long of a blade, I don’t want to waste it with having parts that are I sharpened.” Now after using the long back, I can appreciate it how it doesn’t cut my hand. And it has a titanium pocket clip!
3. The beauty of SE knives, especially when using the SM! I can see now why people carry SE knives exclusively. It zips through mail, cardboard boxes and anything I put in front of it. The H1 SE sharpens easily on the SM and then keeps on performing.
4. The beauty of easy to sharpen steels (tool steels like Cru-Wear, VG10 [although still needing to pick up a model in this, just based off what I’ve heard], H1, etc). My M2 in Cru-Wear gets hair popping sharp with no effort on the SM, and same with the H1 SE from the Pac Salt, but I’m still struggling to get a good edge on my Sliverax and PM2 in S30V. Everything is a compromise, so having a SE H1, gives better edge retention with still the easy ability to sharpen.

So glad I lucked into this model and appreciate Spyderco for being awesome!

Hamilton
Higher

Post by Higher »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 pm
Higher wrote:

thanks
Viacheslav

the first gen has spyderco's older texturing, differently spaced finger grooves, a more squared off end, and the old barrel screw pocket clip.

Thank you so much! You helped me a lot.
I have a first generation.

My knife is assembled on pins as in this photo.
And there is a little problem. I bought this knife in a highly used condition. It opens very poorly. I washed and dried it. It got a little better. But it was not good. The seller said he hit the axle screw hard. Several times to remove the backlash.

I can’t take apart the knife to fix it. I can’t fix it back. Knife on pins. I know that the first generation Pacific Salt was still on the screws. Like in this photo.
If I can find the right screws, then I can fix this knife. Do Endura screws work?
Maybe someone has the first generation Pacific Salt on the screws and he can see?
Last edited by Higher on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If its pinned and "out of spec" then thats not good.

Does anybody know if there were pinned pacific salts? Its been too long, I cant remember.

Edit.
Ok there were pinned pacific salts a ways back. If its pinned I would reccomend sending it into spyderco. Otherwise you have to do a lot of work and basically rebuild the knife.

You should take this up with the seller and see if you can return it. He knew the condition it was in.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 pm
Higher wrote:

thanks
Viacheslav

I like the Pacific Salt 2 better. It feels more solid than the 1. I prefer the bidirectional texturing as well. And looks-wise the blacked out screws and addition of Sal's maker's mark really makes the blacked out version look killer! Definitely a worthy upgrade!

I'd still love to see a Toxic Green LC200N FFG version in both PE and SE with a bit pointier of a tip. Maybe a good sprint candidate.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Higher

Post by Higher »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Ok there were pinned pacific salts a ways back. If its pinned I would reccomend sending it into spyderco. Otherwise you have to do a lot of work and basically rebuild the knife.

You should take this up with the seller and see if you can return it. He knew the condition it was in.
Hi! Thank you very much for your attention to my question!

I knew that this knife had some problems. And I was ready to buy it.
Moreover, this is not a warranty case. In my case, sending to Spyderco and back will be quite expensive.
I want to fix it myself. I am interested in doing this with my own hands.
I really like this knife. I first sharpened a knife with a serrator and it's cool. And I processed the clip a little more.
I want to fix it and I just need to know which screws are suitable.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

There are some threads where people talk about replacing screws, etc, but I don't recall any mentioning the Pacific Salt. You might be able to find some mention of it with the search engine. I guess the worst case scenario would be to just carefully grind out the pens and try different
screws until you find some that work.

I really just wanted to mention that I lately found our how crazy I am about the one which was just discontinued. I've had the yellow version for 6 or 7 years but never really used it much. In the back of my mind I always wanted the black/black version and sprang or one when they were discontinued and found out that I really, really like the design and re-discovered how light they are. I know Sal and Eric would put this in the category of "You just can't please the blighters!" but I like this old design better than the new Pac Salt 2 and Endura 2 Endura 4* :D The curves in the handle line up better with my fingers. I also grabbed it's little sibling, the Salt 1 in black/black. (Got the SE versions of both) I like their bigger blade holes and broader blades versus the Endura and Delica.

*Edit: I meant Endura 4
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Guys remember when I went on babbling how I like the Endura 3 handle more and I would have preferred it on the second gen Pac Salt? Well I guess we'll find out soon since I just bought a Pac Salt 2. My logic is that I'll use both and sell the one I don't like :D I'm totally not buying another knife I don't particularly need!
Higher

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:01 am
There are some threads where people talk about replacing screws, etc, but I don't recall any mentioning the Pacific Salt. You might be able to find some mention of it with the search engine. I guess the worst case scenario would be to just carefully grind out the pens and try different
DougC-3
Yes that's right. I could not find the answer by searching the forum.
Grinding new scales - it will be quite difficult. But interesting. This is in extreme cases. And pick up the screws. I thought about it.
Let's try to find the answer here. Maybe someone has already walked along this path?

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Higher wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:01 am
DougC-3
Yes that's right. I could not find the answer by searching the forum.
Grinding new scales - it will be quite difficult. But interesting. This is in extreme cases. And pick up the screws. I thought about it.
Let's try to find the answer here. Maybe someone has already walked along this path?
Did you search bladeforums?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Higher

Post by Higher »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 am

Did you search bladeforums?
Yes, I searched there. Unfortunately, this did not produce results.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If you have access to a drill press, you might be able to clamp the knife in place and very carefully drill out the pins with little damage to the scales. Then you could see if the pivot is usable, and if yes, then you could search for screws.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Higher

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:38 am
If you have access to a drill press, you might be able to clamp the knife in place and very carefully drill out the pins with little damage to the scales. Then you could see if the pivot is usable, and if yes, then you could search for screws.

I found a dremel at home. And did it.
Start
in the process
Finish

It looks like I need screws from Endura. Not sure.

======

added.
Screws from Endura are definitely not suitable.
For an axis of 3 mm. For the lock 2.5 mm.