Do You Like the Color of the 2015 Forum Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: Do You Like the Color of the 2015 Forum Knife?

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, anyone with an Internet connection can get the discount code. It's not even limited to forum members.
:bug-red-white
swigert

Post by swigert »

I like the color a lot.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bdblue wrote:
I was put off because they were playing favorites with the pricing so I didn't order one.
This is humor, right? The code was publicly posted. The knife was done as a special thank you to forum members. If this makes you unhappy, I have no idea how anyone could ever satisfy you.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Sorry

My phone is acting weird.

I'm totally not unhappy.

I love the knife. It just cost to much for me right now.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

The color is great, the price is great, the steel is great!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Not my color.I dont hate it,but its a deal breaker for me.I dont own a single brown thing...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Nate

Post by Nate »

spyderwolf wrote:I dont own a single brown thing...
Different strokes, but I doubt the veracity of this claim... No brown shoes, belt, or anything made of wood? :D

I would contend that I don't own any brown folders, but obviously this shade of maroon isn't everyone's cup of tea... I still can't seem to snap a photo that really captures how it typically looks to me in person.

I've also given some more thought to what Bdblue said. With something like the 2013 forum knife that sold out extremely fast and where demand easily exceeded supply, it seems unlikely that there would be many (if any) cases where someone ordered one without the discount code.

With this one though, it seems like they greatly increased the size of the run and they still have plenty of inventory weeks after release. I suppose that the further we get from the intial drop, the more likely it is that interested customers will either assume they missed it or go directly to the online store and not be aware of the discount (& balk at the price). It might help to just show it as on sale for the 40% without any code, to list the code on the product page, or even to keep the annoucement stickied here.

I know some of it is "new knife syndrome" but I am still surprised how much I'm liking the Native 5 lw. Never carried the g-10 much, but this one went right in my pocket and has stayed there.
:spyder:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Not even a pen:).Even my furniture is gray.But as you said,different strokes...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Color and knife are great! I like the subtlety of the red/brown scale color, it seems like a darker shade of terracotta to me.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Personally, I like the forum knife's brownish color more than I would a classic maroon, burgundy, or ox blood, but those would be OK with me too. I like the fact that it's a more unusual color and think that's more appropriate for a forum knife as was mentioned above.

I don't understand the objection to the listed MSRP of $159.95, since all the knives in the catalog have an MSRP which is greater than the big dealer or online dealer price. I've been buying camera gear, camping gear, optics, etc, from big dealers and discount houses by phone and online for over 40 years and they've always had a "street price" much lower than the MSRP. In my experience street prices are usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% of the MSRP, but many small shops with high overhead and low volume sell at MSRP and I've even paid higher than MSRP a couple of times at small dealers.

I've never worked in sales management or studied business administration, but I've always assumed that manufacturers would get in trouble pretty quick if they undersold their retailers and that was why they listed something generally regarded as the maximum price.

I guess the objection is that the discounted price was not widely advertised as it is in the cases I mentioned. But, for anybody to even know about the forum knife before it was released, they would almost have to have seen the thread announcing it on this forum or to have talked to somebody who did (unless they found it by randomly scanning through the online catalog). And the discount code was prominently mentioned in the first post announcing the knife. Also I've noticed from reading these forums that sometimes people pay the catalog MSRP of other knives when ordering from the catalog -- it's a legitimate way to sell stuff :)

Forum membership is not required for use of the FORUM2015 discount code -- anybody can use it. I have to admit I'm glad it was not advertised any more than it was, because I haven't got around to buying one yet and there's still some left :D

I do have one gripe. When I searched for "Forum Knife" in a topic title and even specified tazkristi as the author, the search engine got no hits and returned the message that two of the words in my search, "forum" and "knife" were ignored because they were too common :rolleyes: It would have been nice if it had searched for them as a combination rather than as individual words. I put them in quotes and it still regarded them as individual words and didn't search. I've had the same problem with searches involving dates or other numbers.

Sorry this turned into a novel as one kid said :o
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I really like the color myself. I would love to see more S90V in this color frn.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I really like the color myself. I would love to see more S90V in this color frn.
Me too. I like vibrant colors too, don't get me wrong, but there's something relaxing about this color. Gives off nice vibes, IMHO. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpyderNut wrote:I like vibrant colors too, don't get me wrong, but there's something relaxing about this color.
I like vibrant colors too but for my EDC the slightly more subdued colors are better. The orange PM2 that came out a few years ago was awesome, but too bright for me to carry most of the time. I have a blue Tenacious and had a blue PM2. Depending on what I was wearing they would work or not work. When I finally got the dark green PM2 it worked for me no matter what I was wearing so I sold the blue PM2. Lots of us have been lobbying for red G10 on something like the PM2, but in reality I would be better off with something like a darker burgundy.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I like the color and the price... I'm really happy with the knife. I also like that they are still in stock a few weeks later to allow for everyone who wants one to purchase it. I think Spyderco did a great job with this release.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I don't have it in hand yet, so can't speak to the color. I would prefer something distinctly in the red family if it's being called burgundy, maroon, wine, whatever … not generally a fan of "brown" knives, but it will be my first FRN Native 5, and in S90V for under a "buck", it can go ahead and be brown.

So … not sure of the color yet, but I do like the publicly announced discount code.

:cool:
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Love the color, love the knife, love the deal!!!

I wasn't a fan of the purple forum native, and ended up trading my pair away. The 2015 forum native, however, has been a daily carry since I received it!

Thanks again to the Spyderco crew!

Regards,
Ira
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Got mine this week. Added a lanyard and a schmuckatelli bead. [EDIT] Oops - my bad - not a schmuckatelli bead! Also wanted to add that I like the color (still looks more brown to me) and the blade arrived wicked sharp and very smooth to cut phone book paper.

Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder if people will be getting rid of theirs when the S110V FRN model comes out.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:I wonder if people will be getting rid of theirs when the S110V FRN model comes out.
I am sure that some people, who have extraordinary love to numbers will do this. Also some of the people who love blue and do not like the color of this knife.
But the rest of us will keep Forum knife for at least two reasons. First of all, this is the Forum knife. And second how many will see a difference in performance?
I am keeping my Forum knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bh49 wrote:
Donut wrote:I wonder if people will be getting rid of theirs when the S110V FRN model comes out.
I am sure that some people, who have extraordinary love to numbers will do this. Also some of the people who love blue and do not like the color of this knife.
But the rest of us will keep Forum knife for at least two reasons. First of all, this is the Forum knife. And second how many will see a difference in performance?
I am keeping my Forum knife.
Ditto.

Plus, I can't stand blue handles.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/