Re-Educating a Long-Time Knife Knut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
uhiforgot

Re-Educating a Long-Time Knife Knut

Post by uhiforgot »

I've been lurking about a bit lately and trying to figure out what the latest and greatest in the world of steel really is, but it seems my metallurgy is a bit behind the times since I left. When I left the forum, the big four favorite steels were CPM-S30V, VG-10, H-1, and ZDP-189; S90V was in its infancy and was being made available for the first time on a sprint run of the Millie, and there were only about 4 different mules that had been produced; the Native 4 was (iirc) still being rumored, and the age of AUS-8 had just come to an end.

Now I look around and find a library's worth of new Crucible Particle Metallurgy and "CTS" steels and steels with names rather than numbers like "Elmax."

I'm sure that a few weeks of lurking could yield all of the answers I seek, spec sheets could give me some idea of composition, and buying and using them (which is rather out of the question at the moment) would give me priceless experience, but is there any way to briefly outline these steels that are "new" to me and what makes them special?
awa54

Re: Re-Educating a Long-Time Knife Knut

Post by awa54 »

I'd say the thing that all these "new" steels have in common which makes them special is that they are in Spyderco knives! :D

but seriously... *My* current take on the new crop of high-end steels is that they are very cool to try, but none have really blown me away with their characteristics the way a Japanese kitchen knife in hand forged high carbon does... for the extended edge retention, you usually pay in additional sharpening time, and you will probably have to adapt your sharpening technique and possibly kit to match their needs.

Good AUS8 is still a great general purpose steel in my book, though I'm slowly warming up to the charms of S30V and XHP and I'm waiting impatiently for the HAP40 Sprints!

I'm so bummed that I got back into Spyderco just after the Super Blue Sprints were all gone off the scene except for the Stretch and 'bugs, I'd go for a Delica and Dragonfly in that steel any day.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

David, there are still some superblue knives available at certain retailers for normal street price (not inflated). I bought both a Stretch and Manbug not too long ago for about $160 together.

To the OP, try something out in XHP when you're able to. Spyderco offers it in multiple platforms and it's a very user friendly but well performing steel.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

awa54

Post by awa54 »

dubya3 wrote:David, there are still some superblue knives available at certain retailers for normal street price (not inflated). I bought both a Stretch and Manbug not too long ago for about $160 together.

To the OP, try something out in XHP when you're able to. Spyderco offers it in multiple platforms and it's a very user friendly but well performing steel.
Yep, got a Stretch already, thinking about a Ladybug... But a Dragonfly or Delica really would have hit the spot!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

awa54 wrote:
dubya3 wrote:David, there are still some superblue knives available at certain retailers for normal street price (not inflated). I bought both a Stretch and Manbug not too long ago for about $160 together.

Yep, got a Stretch already, thinking about a Ladybug... But a Dragonfly or Delica really would have hit the spot!
I had to pass on a $100 NIB Endura the other day because the money was for the CF Yojimbo I've wanted forever. A disposable income sure would help! LOL
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

There are a few here (Jim, Cliff) who are quite a bit more knowledgeable about the intricate steel types/differences than I am, so I won't attempt to wax eloquent on the subject. ;) Personally, I find comparing steel compositions on the Spyderco Steel Elements Chart (found on pages 126 and 127 in the 2015 catalog) is very helpful in terms of understanding what each steel is comprised of and what its benefits are, etc.

FWIW, you probably already know this, but "CTS" steels are made by Carpenter and "CPM" steels are made by Crucible. Not surprisingly, Spyderco has had a direct influence in helping both companies formulate steels specifically for the knife industry.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

The steels you mentioned are all fantastic steels. I have bought "newer" and "better" steels but haven't seen much of a difference (admittedly I am not a normally heavy use user). I have found that I buy knives I like and don't worry much about the steel selection as they all do the job for my uses.

VG10 is my benchmark for the balance of attributes, edge retention, ease of sharpening, corrosion resistance. CTS-XHP and Elmax seem to be fairly balanced steels in my experience.