Why no choil on the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Why no choil on the Delica?

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Was looking at some pictures and trying to talk myself out of a Celica and noticed it has no school like a Dragonfly.

Seems like there is enough room for one and it would be very handy to have. I wonder why it does not have one?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
hudsonhawk

Re: Why no choil on the Delica?

Post by hudsonhawk »

You must be on your phone, autocorrect shredded your post. Unless we are talking about Toyotas? :p

The Endura and Delica will probably never get the choil treatment. That seems to be what they Caly family is for.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

BECAUSE IT DOES NOT NEED ONE!!!

Sorry, we've endured a great many requests for a choil on the delica/endura line. Doing so would fundamentally change the line, and for those of us who find it perfect as is, this is not a good thing. Yes, you only get one grip option with the delica, but that one works very well for me. Adding the choil and keeping the size the same would result in a partial grip when not using the choil and would basically be a native with a thumb ramp. If you want a choil with a delica blade shape, find yourself an R, which is a great knife in its own right. Also I'm pretty sure there is a delica-like Byrd with a choil.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

tvenuto wrote:BECAUSE IT DOES NOT NEED ONE!!!

Sorry, we've endured a great many requests for a choil on the delica/endura line. Doing so would fundamentally change the line, and for those of us who find it perfect as is, this is not a good thing. Yes, you only get one grip option with the delica, but that one works very well for me. Adding the choil and keeping the size the same would result in a partial grip when not using the choil and would basically be a native with a thumb ramp. If you want a choil with a delica blade shape, find yourself an R, which is a great knife in its own right. Also I'm pretty sure there is a delica-like Byrd with a choil.
+1

I like it as is. There are plenty of knives with choils.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal has said that, while the 50/50 choil is popular with the "afi" users who frequent these forums, the general knife buying public does not find them desirable and those buyers represent the primary target market for the Delica and Endura.

Still, they do seem to represent the "worst of both worlds". Either an "all edge" blade that the average buyer likes, or a 50/50 choil that we like, would be preferable to the wasted real estate of the Delica's useless exposed tang. Then again who am I to argue with success, and the Delica is probably still one of Spyderco's best sellers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Because it wouldn't be a Delica any more- as has been pointed out.

Like giving it a hawkbill blade would make it a Merlin (FRN handle)
Like giving it a reverse S blade would make it a Lil Harpy
Add a choil and it's basically an R...Or a slightly hump-backed Native.

There's piles of other blades in that size range with a choil to choose from in the catalogue.

It's like this- is it still a hotdog if you replace the weiner with a hamburger cut in two?
It's still meat in a finger-roll, right? It's still a quick snack.....But it's not a hotdog anymore.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

hudsonhawk wrote:...The Endura and Delica will probably never get the choil treatment. That seems to be what they Caly family is for.
Agree. Between the Caly, Native, Sage and Delica there is quite a variety of handle and blade shapes to choose from in that particular size category.
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

The Delica and Endura exist without a choil to make the Stretch and Stretch 2 look GOOD :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

No choil! Not ever!

The Delica and Endura models have a sensible finger guard, instead.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
tvenuto wrote:BECAUSE IT DOES NOT NEED ONE!!!

+1

I like it as is. There are plenty of knives with choils.
^^^That. It's like saying that Para2 needs a ricasso :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use a Delica quite often and never hanker for a choil on it. There are plenty of similar models with choils if I suddenly want one on a Delica-sized folder from Spyderco.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

If you want a choil, Spyderco offers plenty of options. I gave away my Native because I couldn't grip the knife without putting my index finger in front of the guard. Please leave a few knives without choils for those of us who prefer to grip tools by the handles.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

The blade is just under 3 inches , why would you need to "choke-up" on a blade this size ?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Harley, I've asked myself the same question about the Delica/Endura lacking a choil. As several others mentioned, the basic explanation is that the majority of knife buyers simply prefer the Delica without a choil. I'm sure Spyderco has probably considered adding a choil at one time or another, but there must be a solid reason why they haven't done it by now. Maybe a future Delica will be offered with a 50/50 choil. (I'm thinking of the Police3 variation with the 50/50 choil vs. the older SS Police without a choil). I guess time will tell.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Well if you can get a good grip on a Delica then I suppose there is no need for the choil. Seems to me there is space to add one without affecting the gripbthat is already there?

Now if Spyderco made it without one because the general and must larger buying public wants it that way then it makes sense to me.

As far as a need to ckoke up on a small blade even though you should not need leverage it is still nice for precision work imo.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Well if you can get a good grip on a Delica then I suppose there is no need for the choil. Seems to me there is space to add one without affecting the gripbthat is already there?

Now if Spyderco made it without one because the general and must larger buying public wants it that way then it makes sense to me.

As far as a need to ckoke up on a small blade even though you should not need leverage it is still nice for precision work imo.
The Caly3 is the Delica sized knife with a choil. I have one, but prefer the non-choil Delica.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I wish the Delica was GB like with the blade running all the way up to the handle
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Holzfaeller wrote:If you want a choil, Spyderco offers plenty of options. I gave away my Native because I couldn't grip the knife without putting my index finger in front of the guard. Please leave a few knives without choils for those of us who prefer to grip tools by the handles.
I regretfully agree. I was planning on buying a new Native 5 SE but came across a CF/S90V sprint at a good price so grabbed that for my CF collection and no matter how much I want to like the design, i just can't. The main issue for me is the basic ergos, it's a forced choil grip and it just doesn't feel right. It's much heavier than I like for that small of a blade (again the choil comes into play), and I like a little heft in my knives. The LW could still work but I definitely won't order one without handling one first.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

There is something liberating at times with having fewer options of how to do a thing. With the Delica having no choil, I don't need to decide how I'm going to grasp it in forward grip. I hold onto the FRN handle, index finger nestled behind the guard, and this works fine every time.

Having options is great, and American culture promotes this ideal as preferable, but with more choices comes increased cognitive load. Simplicity has its own charm.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I've never understood the love of choils .
The reason I love the Delica is because it doesn't have one .
I even went as far as to grind of the Choil - finger lumps on the scales of my Caly 3.5 so I could have the option of holding the knife in multiple postions rather than being locked into one by the original handle shape . Not all knife tasks are carried out holding the knife in the standard postion that the finger cut outs and Choil promote .
I have no problem with the idea or others that like choils , it's just my favourite knives don't have them , or if they do they are very subtle and not exaggerated .

Ken