Tatanka powerlock problems, anyone else?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Tatanka powerlock problems, anyone else?

Post by JT »

I came from the fishing trip today, and the long awaited package from an US seller had arrived.
I opened the package, and the beast is here!
Wow is all I can say!
quality is great, the knife is just like I dreamed it would be, BUT something is wrong.
First, the pivot was tight. I had to loosen the pivot screw to get it to open at all, without using two hands. Second, the lock is just weird. If I open the knife gently, it locks up so, that the point behind the boye dent doesn't come all the way up, sort of. If I open it hard, it comes up to the "level" that it should be, but then I have to really push the release with my thumb, and really hard. And then it makes a clicking sound and releases.
from this old post from member Knutty, the symptoms match to mine.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65519&p=982783&hili ... ka#p982783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manufacturing date, I don't know, haven't dissassambled it, and not going to. Box date is labeled CO.

Now, I have 3 options, either to fiddle with it myself, to send it back to the seller (ebay, supposedly reputable dealer), or to send it to Spyderco warranty. living here in Europe, it's going to cost me more taxes and stuff :(

Anyone else, besides Knutty or me having issues with the lock? And if Sal reads this, should I send it directly to you guys or what would you recommend?
Last edited by JT on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
kurt6652

Re: Tatanka powerlock problems, anyone else?

Post by kurt6652 »

Maybe it needs to be opened and closed repeatedly to wear in the lock. You could also try to oil the lock surfaces. I know it took a little time for my endura to become smooth.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks for the suggestion kurt, but having owned and still owning many Spydies, this is not within the limits of "breaking in-period stiffness" etc.. there is clearly something wrong with the lock.
I hope that Spyderco has a chance to fix things, if there's a batch of lemons or something. And I believe that this forum is active on finding and reporting problems too, to make our beloved Spydies better. Just my honest feedback.
Last edited by JT on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

If sending it back to the seller avoids additional cost, I'd do that. If not, there's no other choice to but to send it in to Spyderco. Faulty is faulty, and it happens.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't own one, so can't say what "normal" is, but what you describe doesn't sound like something I'd consider acceptable. So...
tvenuto wrote:If sending it back to the seller avoids additional cost, I'd do that. If not, there's no other choice to but to send it in to Spyderco. Faulty is faulty, and it happens.
...I'm in full agreement with tvenuto's advice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

I have a new Tatanka. Its tight, too tight. If I flick it open it is o.k. but the power lock is then very tight to release. I can press towards the rear of the lock release and it seems to release with less pressure. When opening the knife slowly one handed, it is too tight. I called Spyderco and Christina told me that it is normal, they are all tight and its not a warranty issue. I was not happy about Spyderco's answer, it really kind of made me mad and so far I'm not happy with the Tatanka becasue of the tight deployment. The only gripe I have with this knife is that its too damned tight.
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks for the input guys, the additional costs are not the biggest issue, although I hate to pay extra import dutys and taxes again..
but this is a new lock concept for Spyderco, and I don't know if all the retailers are as keen to report broblems to Spyderco as we are. And there always might be a chance that a retailer can put the darn thing back to circulation.. I don't know.
So I was thinking of sending it straight to the Spydie folks to be checked out. But Zeroed4x:s comment about the response from Spyderco makes me worried. Even from many youtube reviews I watched, nobody seems to have any issues opening/closing theirs. So maybe there's a small batch of lemons around.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JT,

I'm looking forward to receiving it. There have been very few problems with the design. There is a lot of hand work in these and it's quite possible that something odd happened. We'll let you know.

sal
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks Sal,
That is something I didn't think at all, that it takes "more than usual" amount of fitting to get the lock right, being new and different.
I sent it out a few hours ago. Should be there within 2 weeks. Looking forward to hear from you.

edit; just noticed your e-mail Sal, thanx much :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I guess thats why its called the Tightanka.
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Sal, do you people really stand behind your products ? I was told by your staff that my Tatanka issue with excessive tight deployment and a power lock that is very stiff was not a warranty issue ? I'm not happy, actually I'm very frustrated and really very pissed. How can we resolve this ? I want to stay a loyal Spdyderco customer. I have been since 89.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zeroed,

We certainly try to. Sorry for your frustration. I spoke with Charlynn about JT's problem Tatanka. We've had very few come back so we're still learning about the lock. You might try to send it in again and call it to my attention.

sal
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

JT: If Spyderco label it as a warranty return you should not have to pay extra taxes on return.
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

sal wrote:Hi Zeroed,

We certainly try to. Sorry for your frustration. I spoke with Charlynn about JT's problem Tatanka. We've had very few come back so we're still learning about the lock. You might try to send it in again and call it to my attention.

sal
Thank you Sir, very much appreciated. I'll send it in instead of returning it.

Zeroed4x