Pacific Salt is here to stay right?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Pacific Salt is here to stay right?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I understand that sometimes even the best-designed and most useful knives end up being discontinued, but, as far as those in the know of Spyderco go, is the Pacific Salt here to stay for at least another year plus, or, is it going to be discontinued?
ManixFan

Re: Pacific Salt is here to stay right?

Post by ManixFan »

Actually, I would be curious to find out whether the new all black SE Pacific Salt is now regular production or if it will only be around for a little while. Does anybody know the answer to this?
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Based on history, it would be safe to assume that nearly any model could be discontinued at some point. However, the Pacific Salt (and the new black-on-black SE Pacific Salt) are readily used by our Armed Forces (and likely also international forces), so I'd imagine they'll be around for quite some time.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Probably due for a version 2 before long. But it seems the H1 knives sell well and have little competition from cheaper brands.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I would rate that possibility as highly unlikely, but only time will tell for sure. Sales, or rather lack thereof, is by far the most common reason that Spyderco drops knives from the lineup and I have no way of knowing how well the Pacific is actually doing in the marketplace, worldwide. Still, there are 6 versions of the Pacific Salt. I have to think that, while it might be possible that 1 or 2 of those variants are faring poorly in the marketplace and scheduled for retirement, there's an extremely low probability that all six have tanked at the same time.

Can't see the Pacific, or any of the other FRN Salts, being "upgraded" soon either. Sure, there are those who clamor for liners, but adding more steel parts to them makes little sense.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Is the Pacific Salt here to stay? It better be! I am with mtngunr in that I really hope they don't start phasing out the satin/black Salts. I prefer the black handles and really don't care for those black blades on my H1 fishing knives. I will use whatever they make but I really hope they keep the current line intact.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Pac Salt and Salt 1 staying is in a way a great excuse for the beloved older linerless Endura/Delica to remain in the lineup. I hope it doesn't ever get disco'd.
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

mtngunr wrote:I have written them strongly protesting what seems a push....an all black sporting knife is absurd....try finding that sucker on the ground as it gets dark and half dressed deer or fire not yet built...and any color you like so long as yellow not much of an option either....as with black blades, looks shabby quite quickly with much use, and fades badly.

If anything, they should offer more options in colors and push the line....but i do not see them doing that except the new D4/E4....they have invested heavily in it and will not take sales from it...
It is amazing to think that the D4/E4 is getting close to a decade since release, the investment has already paid off in multiples as it is their sales leader in the lineup. Instead of veiwing the Salt line as taking sales away from it, they can look at it as the previous Delica/Endura build continuing to make them money.

Regarding the all black versions that came out, I can agree that it isn't the best model for visibility but it was heavily requested and so there is a significant market for it. There are those who buy the knife not for sporting purposes at all, have to keep that mind. Regarding other colors, orange and maroon seems like a good start. For the most part though, the line pushes itself... It's for those interested in the benfits of the H1 steel and water resistant handle and other benefits but it is not just limited to hunting and fishing. There are even some who detest colorful handles.
Last edited by FCM415 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Double double
Last edited by FCM415 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Double double
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Pacific Salt is popular and will likely be around for some time. We might to refinements as we can.

sal
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sal has already confirmed what I was going to say...I could see the current model being discontinued but also being replaced by a newer version, just as the Delica and Endura have seen over the years. I would expect a handle mold update to match the current Endura if anything (though I strongly prefer the current handle design).
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

Last edited by mtngunr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Actually the black was military requests. We've been making the Pacific in black for several years.

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

mtngunr wrote:...and IT is the one being axed to offer more bolted together knives and linerlocks and black knives? The world really needs more black knives? It still should be dominating the market....no reason why it should not except everything else is getting the spotlight...i just do not get it....
Sadly, what may be popular here on the forum may not be a big seller with Joe regular. If a knife is dropped, it's likely that it isn't generating sufficient sales and, as a business, it's in Spyderco's best interest to drop the knife and sell something new to make more money.

Some of my favorite models have disappeared quickly. I'm a huge fan of most of Ed Schempp's designs, but it seems that a lot of them have fairly short lives. The Khukuri is fantastic but didn't stick around long. The Kris was also short-lived, as was the Barong, and even the seemingly popular large Persian only lasted 3 years.

If you know you like the Salt I and it's on closeout, that's perfect. Prices should be low and you can pick up a spare or two or three. It's funny how knives that should dominate the market don't, and many people don't come to appreciate them until after they get discontinued. Just look at the aftermarket prices for the Khukuri, Barong, Kris, Phoenix, Captain, etc.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com