centofante 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
191boy

centofante 3

Post by 191boy »

I picked up a Centofante 3 around 2 months ago as my first Spyderco, beautiful knife but the blade centering was kinda off and the thumb hole was rough, took a needle file to the thumb hole and the centering doesn't really bother me too much.

After a week i noticed the grind on the upper side of the tip was uneven and there was a bit of forward blade play that i'm not sure was there when i first got it, nothing major probably like 1mm back and forth but whatever since the knife didn't cost that much.

Then earlier today i noticed an off center line where the blade has been pressing against the FRN handle and upon closer inspection there was a mark where the blade has been touching the underside of the back lock. Could someone tell me if this is normal? i had a quick search and apparently you should be able to press the blade in while closed but there was no mention of the blade touching the handle. If i run my nail along the blade i can feel a bit of a rough patch where it was touching metal on metal, the edge hasn't really rolled over or anything crazy but under good light i can see its been affected though my camera isn't good enough to pick it up.

At this point i should mention that i'm new to the knife game so my terminology aint quite there and the Centofante 3 is my third knife and second folder. So basically i was wondering if my situation is normal, if not what should i do? and also where would be best for me to get some more Spydercos online in the UK, i got a boner for a carbon fibre Sage 3 and the Paramilitary 2 is floating my boat.

edit: pics
The Deacon

Re: centofante 3

Post by The Deacon »

The Centofante is the only Spyderco midlock with an "all edge" blade. Unfortunately, that places the "kick" (the projection on the blade tang intended to contact the lock mechanism) so far forward when the blade is closed that it strikes the lockbar ahead of the lockbar pivot, instead of behind it, as is the case for most other Spyderco midlocks. That geometry allows it to lift the lockbar and make the edge of the blade contact the lockbar or backspring if you snap it shut or squeeze down on the blade while it's closed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As for grinds and centering, they look to be well within tolerances for a mass produced knife at the price it sells for.

I'm not familiar with places to buy in the UK, but we have many British members on here and I'm sure they'll chime in soon. Welcome to the forum!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hi!

I've bought new from Mind Your Fingers and Heinnie Haynes, second hand from British Blades Forum, where membership will also get you a discount from both.
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is why I wish this knife (and the Centofante 4) would get updated with screw pivots. Then you could probably adjust the pivot and straighten out the blade. You may need to send it back to Spyderco. My Centofante 4 is pretty perfect. I have noticed the swedge grind is a bit uneven but it's not so bad that it bothers me. You would probably have to pick through quite a few to find one that wasn't.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

jabba359 wrote:As for grinds and centering, they look to be well within tolerances for a mass produced knife at the price it sells for.
Agreed. Best slice for the price, IMO. A real sleeper.

Gordon
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have a Centofante 4 and I have had many Centofante 3's. I love 'em. I used to worry about the blade hitting the inside of the handle but after carrying it I found that it didn't matter. I have found that unless I intentionally press the blade into the handle it rarely touches. The Centofante models are some of the best slicers ever made. Don't let the way that you can press the blade into the handle turn you off. It's truly a great knife. Enjoy it. Side note, your centering doesn't look that far off. I also wouldn't worry about that. I would carry that slicer and use the crap out of it. :)

Also, welcome to the cut. Spydies rock.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

jabba359 wrote:As for grinds and centering, they look to be well within tolerances for a mass produced knife at the price it sells for.

I'm not familiar with places to buy in the UK, but we have many British members on here and I'm sure they'll chime in soon. Welcome to the forum!
. That is what I thought , I would be happy with it , I was waiting for an experienced guy to pipe up and verify what I thought ... I almost bought one instead of Delica , my Delica purple came like entheral "almost too perfect for this world". :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I agree with David. The centering is fine, you have a 2mm blade going into a slot that by my measurements is maybe just shy of 3mm. So your blade is maybe 0.2 mm offset. That's a pretty small number in my book for a production folder. Blade centering is a bit of a neurosis fostered by the OCD. If you are going to use it, don't worry. Your grind looks fine, this is a production piece, perfection is not to be expected. If you are looking for a closer to perfect knife, you'll have to pay a lot more. Just use it and don't sweat the little things.

I have a Cento that is over 5 years old and have a much less obvious line inside the handle. Are you squeezing the blade while the handle is closed?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just to add....

I have a Centofante 4 that my wife bought me in 2007. That thing is still awesome. It has been used a bunch and been sharpened about 15 times. Still rock solid and no play. Love it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford