Most difficult countries to get Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Most difficult countries to get Spyderco knives?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are some of the most difficult nations, as far as import/export and customs rules go, for the citizens there to order and purchase Spyderco knives, due to the one hand opening and lock blade rules? I read some reports on here that Australia has very strict rules related to that, where else?
Able Dog

Re: Most difficult countries to get Spyderco knives?

Post by Able Dog »

Western Europe it would seem, both as a result of importing expenses and local knife laws. A Rubicon would cost about $500 in England, and on top of that you couldn't even carry it legally.

I imagine there are plenty of countries were importing expenses or lack of retailers would be an even bigger hurdle.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

New York, and rightfully so.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

I have tried several times to get Spyderco knives from Bophuthatswana but have not had any luck yet...(wink!)

As noted above most of western europe is getting almost as bad as California and NYC in promoting deviancy and making common sense illegal...including man's second oldest tool after a rock for a hammer as now always a sign of criminal intent...this is a natural outcome of making firearms near impossible to own coupled with vast numbers of poorly policed immigrants crowded into slums....crime rises, blame the tool rather than the system breeding the crime....gee, sounds familiar, somehow....
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

mtngunr wrote:I have tried several times to get Spyderco knives from Bophuthatswana...
LOL! Somehow I doubt that... Bophuthatswana dissolved 21 years ago in 1994. ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
mtngunr

Post by mtngunr »

No wonder nobody answers the phone!....well, there you have your answer folks....cannot get any harder than a country which no longer exists.....wow, it seems as just yesterday when it was the newest country in the world....i need to watch more news but no matter how i adjust the antennae, cannot pick up a thing....maybe a bad tube....but lately i noticed no more tube testers at stores....as if nobody used tubes anymore.....riiight...
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I live in New Zealand, its not hard to get spyderco goodness into nz but there is a very sad lack of shops that stock them. They are very expensive to buy as well. Thank god for the internet :)
Forgot to mention that automatic knives are a no no, that kind of sucks caus id love an OTF
Last edited by gingerninja on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

After attending the Amsterdam Meet, I really gained an appreciation for how expensive collecting knives is for our friends in Europe. Not only do the prices depend on exchange rates for them (which hasn't been helping them recently), but they also seem to have less distributors and don't get the discount off of MSRP like we do. As Able mentioned, this results in paying over double what we do in the US.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:After attending the Amsterdam Meet, I really gained an appreciation for how expensive collecting knives is for our friends in Europe. Not only do the prices depend on exchange rates for them (which hasn't been helping them recently), but they also seem to have less distributors and don't get the discount off of MSRP like we do. As Able mentioned, this results in paying over double what we do in the US.
Take the MSRP.
Take off about 10-20%.
Change the Dollar sign to a £ sign.
That's what we pay....(And I do it gladly).
Now- convert that amount back to dollars at the current exchange rate and feel the stabbing pain in your wallet ;)

That said, I've seen what my Volvo costs in the US, so it's kinda 'swings and roundabouts' as it goes. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sales taxes and import duties are also a contributory factor in Europe. Depending on which country you live in you will pay between 19-25% VAT.

Maybe it's time for Spyderco to think about opening a small office over here (Spyderco.eu LTD)? The EU as a market is almost double the size of the US and Canada. The European courts are much tougher on copyright infringments and Spyderco would have access to all European made steel. Also, if they opened a branch in Italy Sal could spend his summers sailing in the Med :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The USA, if the Spyderco you're interested in acquiring happens to be a JaniSong.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

North Korea?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:The USA, if the Spyderco you're interested in acquiring happens to be a JaniSong.
And Deacon reminds us that it's all about perspective.
The Sloth

Post by The Sloth »

The most difficult country to get a Spyderco knife must be India. I planned to buy a few Spyderco (and other) knives since I got interested in knives around a few years ago.

It is possible to get Spyderco knives on Amazon.in and other websites that specialize in importing stuff from the USA. Amazon.in lists the Yojimbo2 at INR 35,085.00 (USD 549.319), compared to approximately USD 125 on knifecenter.com/ amazon.com. It's the same with other well known knife brands.

No way I'm shelling out more than four times the street price in the US. This, in a country where the knife laws are quiet lax and not as sophisticated as the laws in other countries (one can carry a knife up to 9" long with a blade 2" wide). However, it is socially frowned upon and not many people carry knives - other than the ubiquitous (smaller) Swiss army knives - anyway. Talking of the Swiss army knife, they are everywhere, every shopping mall and stationery store has a "Swiss army knife" section. And they are affordable. With Spyderco, the "difficulty" is in the expense when compared with the prices in the USA.

(my first post here!)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Deacon wrote:The USA, if the Spyderco you're interested in acquiring happens to be a JaniSong.
I agree with this.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Sloth wrote:The most difficult country to get a Spyderco knife must be India. I planned to buy a few Spyderco (and other) knives since I got interested in knives around a few years ago.

It is possible to get Spyderco knives on Amazon.in and other websites that specialize in importing stuff from the USA. Amazon.in lists the Yojimbo2 at INR 35,085.00 (USD 549.319) compared to approximately USD 125 on knifecenter.com/ amazon.com. It's the same with other well known knife brands.
OUCH! :eek:

I've worked a deal in Bangalore over the last few years and it's much the same with imported goods- be they whiskey or white goods like TVs....I feel for you.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In Canada, almost all of Spyderco's knives can be deemed prohibitive because it is possible to snap open the blade and there is a fairly absurd law which makes that illegal. It is not consistently enforced, and there are stores which openly sell them. However they can still be seized in customs and stores have actually been raided as technically they are illegal.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I'm so glad that I live in the relatively free state of Pennsylvania. Not taking it for granted. Liberty once taking is not easy to get back.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Sales taxes and import duties are also a contributory factor in Europe. Depending on which country you live in you will pay between 19-25% VAT.

Maybe it's time for Spyderco to think about opening a small office over here (Spyderco.eu LTD)? The EU as a market is almost double the size of the US and Canada. The European courts are much tougher on copyright infringments and Spyderco would have access to all European made steel. Also, if they opened a branch in Italy Sal could spend his summers sailing in the Med :)

I would not have said it better !
But I would be able to, in French... ;)

Lovely idea !!
To do it will not change at all the fact that it's a US company.

I do make order in the US, but not as much as I would like. Sales taxes, import duties and shipment cost are not helping at all.
Around $50 shipment for about 5 folder knives (not too heavy) and add the 2 taxes on top of that... :(
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Here in the Netherlands it's not very difficult but very expensive and usually hard to find locally, especially hard to find a real shop. Knives aren't a big thing here, not much of a knife tradition either (that starts South of here, Belgium but mainly France and Spain and I guess Italy as well)
I have bought most of my knives online in the States and they even charge custom fees over the high shipping cost.. ;)
(and currently the €-$ rate is indeed not helping us much either)